Gaming A not-so-positive impressions

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The 3DS uses (auto)stereoscopy, which is the same method all 3D movies use, so there is no reason why objects couldn't come out of the screen.
There are several reasons, why most of the time the games only have "aquarium 3D", though.
Some examples would be:

-pop out objects can cause problems with the gui
-landscape could get cut off by the screen borders
-pop up objects waste a lot of the limited screen space

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ramonra said:
Slyakin said:
I'm kind of wondering about the "aquarium" 3D. Shouldn't it pop out?

Not necessarily. Old red/cyan 3D popped out. Now they focus mainly on depth.
But wait...

They've been advertising puppies that jump out at you, and feeling as if you're in the game...?

Unless of course, it differs from game to game. Now THAT would be nice.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Ramonra said:
Slyakin said:
I'm kind of wondering about the "aquarium" 3D. Shouldn't it pop out?

Not necessarily. Old red/cyan 3D popped out. Now they focus mainly on depth.
But wait...

They've been advertising puppies that jump out at you, and feeling as if you're in the game...?

Unless of course, it differs from game to game. Now THAT would be nice.
I do think it differs game to game. Hey, a game may be built to do 1/2 and 1/2?

I see a 3D Tv demo at Sam Club and the depth was fantastic!!!
tongue.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yeah, the devs can do 3D however they want. true. The main barrier to pop out 3D is the size of the object popping out. If it's bigger then the screen, it will be sharply cut off and look horrible. Additionally, pop out 3D adds almost nothing to games. Depth is far more useful.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Yeah, the devs can do 3D however they want. true. The main barrier to pop out 3D is the size of the object popping out. If it's bigger then the screen, it will be sharply cut off and look horrible. Additionally, pop out 3D adds almost nothing to games. Depth is far more useful.
Yeah, that's very understandable.

I haven't seen 3D in AGES. The last time was about 7-8 years ago, with those red-cyan glasses. The depth must be pretty damn awesome.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
M[u said:
ddy]
The 3DS uses (auto)stereoscopy, which is the same method all 3D movies use, so there is no reason why objects couldn't come out of the screen.
Autostereoscopy is when your not wearing glasses.
Same thing, just people are lead to believe since Sony keep pushing glasses, that it's inferior.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
croagunk.master said:
I'm reconsidering my purchase due to this. Can somebody confirm if this is true or not?

QUOTE(Ramonra @ Feb 14 2011, 09:14 PM) Of course, how the devs use the 3D capabilities is up to themselves.

We was just talking about this above your post.
mellow.gif
Read the posts.
laugh.gif

btw it is both...

C

croagunk.master

KingVamp said:
croagunk.master said:
I'm reconsidering my purchase due to this. Can somebody confirm if this is true or not?

QUOTE(Ramonra @ Feb 14 2011, 09:14 PM) Of course, how the devs use the 3D capabilities is up to themselves.

We was just talking about this above your post.
mellow.gif
Read the posts.
laugh.gif

btw it is both...

Oops didn't see that. If that is true, I'm definitely buying it.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Mmkay, whatever. Depth is far more important for me. The real value to 3D gaming is you can actually see distance into the screen on the z-axis, rather than just having things get bigger as they get closer.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
Midna said:
Mmkay, whatever. Depth is far more important for me. The real value to 3D gaming is you can actually see distance into the screen on the z-axis, rather than just having things get bigger as they get closer.
Yeah. Pop-out is lame now.

I remember back during the good ol' SNES days with SMW. First time getting to Bowser in his flying clown contraption, and after you hit him a few times, he'd fly into the background with the audio growing silent, then he'd fly forward, audio getting louder, as he came closer like he would come out of the screen. I thought it was one of the coolest effects at the time.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
3DS is very capable of creating pop out effects, the thing is your right eye has to look left part of the screen and left eye to the right, which is basically crossed eye and yeah that's very difficult for a long amount of time and straining. Didn't the MGS developer say for pop out effects he didn't want to create something that'd be painful to view.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just went through the whole 3DS impressions from Euro events thread at NeoGaf.

The feelings are very, VERY mixed. For some people the 3D effect works great. Some people loose the focus all the time. Some have problems in Kid Icarus, some in Pilotwings, some in other games. Some cannot even see it(!) despite having no problems going to 3D cinemas(!)...

The same goes for the color of 3DS. Some people say the blue one is better, some say it is ugly.

Therefore, it seems that it is absolutely necessary to check if 3DS works for you personally. Including specific games you want to buy. Or else you can be very disappointed... or forced to use the 2D mode.

QUOTE said:
Kid Icarus. Game is really beautiful but too fast, and it is thus difficult to "see" and to focus your eyes once and for all, especially when you're up in the sky (same configuration that PW) since you have Pit really near and the rest that's quite far. You focus your eyes on the background, but by doing so you don't see Pit, and then you want to check where he is, you have to focus on him, but can't really see the enemies coming at you. Maybe it is intended, maybe you need to get used to it, but it is quite strange to experience. The best way for such things I think will be the 1st person view, as you just have to care about where are the enemies to shoot, and you are already conscious about where you are without having to check your character.

QUOTE said:
I think 3D is really suited when everything is about equally as far and/or no object are too close from the camera (that's what makes some games' 3D "work"). As soon as something stands out by being too close, you have to focus each time you're moving your eyes from the close subject to the background and vice-versa, and that's when people think the 3D doesn't "work". Well to me it is a normal thing, and I think that developer should avoid using close objects except if they want the player to focus on it and to emphasize this object.

In Kid Icarus (which was the best game there for me) where you're holding it with one hand and frantically using the touch screen with the other, when you accidentally tilt it it's pretty annoying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it