Hacking A newbie review of using R4i 3DS Gold Plus: ntrboothax

Xepherous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
(12:23pm, UK time): I'm expecting my R4i Gold 3DS Plus to arrive today, I will update this post with my experience of hacking my 2 week old 2DS XL!

My card arrived. I bought from nds-card (GBATemp sponsor), I ordered on Sunday 7th Jan. and it came today, Wednesday 17th Jan (China -> UK).
Images of the packaging and what it contained below. It came with the card itself, a USB card reader and also a small magnet! (Note: I switched to 'N' myself, it will come in 'D' mode)
https://imgur.com/a/Q2BgG

(13:06pm): Starting the hacking process following 3ds.guide:
Downloaded all the files needed, put the card into 'N' mode, put card into DS, placed magnet in sweet spot (for me it was between X and A button).
Held down X, select and start and it booted into SafeB9SInstaller!
Basically just followed the guide exactly right to the end.

I finished all the steps within about 20 minutes. I just followed 3ds.guide word for word and I had 0 issues. CFW was something I read about 2-3 weeks ago and now I've achieved it on my own 2DS XL.

Thank you to the creators of 3ds.guide and the sponsor nds-card for shipping my card out so quick! Any other 'noobs' like myself should follow what I did and hopefully you will have CFW your own device.

Last edited by Xepherous,

Xepherous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My 'review' is now complete. If anyone wants more information from ordering the card to actually hacking my 2DS XL, feel free to ask here or PM me. :)

TheTrippyHippie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 'review' is now complete. If anyone wants more information from ordering the card to actually hacking my 2DS XL, feel free to ask here or PM me. :)
I've been considering buying one to mod with, but how much of a struggle is it to take apart the card and put it back together? Does it just snap apart and back together or something like that?

Xepherous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been considering buying one to mod with, but how much of a struggle is it to take apart the card and put it back together? Does it just snap apart and back together or something like that?

It is extremely easy to take apart and put back together, easier than I thought. It does simply snap apart and then you can put it back in place again with the holes

Freqman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i also got it from that site, i followed the guide on r4ids.cn tho. It was well worth it! compared to the sky3ds i used to own, this was cheap and very effective, and even better than the sky3ds, since you can play virtual console games, eshop exclusives, homebrew etc..

Xepherous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i also got it from that site, i followed the guide on r4ids.cn tho. It was well worth it! compared to the sky3ds i used to own, this was cheap and very effective, and even better than the sky3ds, since you can play virtual console games, eshop exclusives, homebrew etc..

Funny you metion Sky3DS - I started out wondering how to play free games, googled and constantly came across 'CFW'. Few weeks later I now have a CFW 2DS lol, but yeah CFW > Sky3DS definitely

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We don't see a lot of people posting their success stories, people tend to only post when they have problems, but this is useful for new users who are wanting to hack their 3DS and aren't sure where to begin, so thanks :)

Yeah when I first joined the forum all I saw was people having issues making me skeptical of it all. However, me being me, I just HAD to give it a try myself! I hope other new people find it useful

Reactions: Hunter

dsearnack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have the same card, have enjoyed it! glad it has served you well! btw once it stopped working in "D" mode for me (and some others i've seen since)
I would recommend downloading the ntrboot_flasher luma/payload and making a backup.bin from the card you are enjoying :)
Otherwise there is a backup floating around on gba - just ive read about different versions and a true backup of YOUR card (before any issues) would be more accurate than what is here ;) (perhaps giving different versions)
Enjoy and thanks for sharing your success story!

Reactions: emuashui

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is what I ended up doing with mine so I won't have to pull it apart and snap it back together every time
78e17a4d9a17586c837c5b1b74b16603.jpg

Xepherous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is good info for those who wish to use in D mode. I only got the card to ntrboothax :D
Have the same card, have enjoyed it! glad it has served you well! btw once it stopped working in "D" mode for me (and some others i've seen since)
I would recommend downloading the ntrboot_flasher luma/payload and making a backup.bin from the card you are enjoying :)
Otherwise there is a backup floating around on gba - just ive read about different versions and a true backup of YOUR card (before any issues) would be more accurate than what is here ;) (perhaps giving different versions)
Enjoy and thanks for sharing your success story!

Reactions: dsearnack

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for them to ship it, it took about a week... and for it to actually arrive at my house after it shipped it took about a month and 2 weeks.. I paid for tracking

Dodoshwedo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the exact same card but I can't figure out how to run DS games on it. Is there a specific kernel I need to download for it? I can't find any info for this specific card (R4i 3DS Gold Plus) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"