A newbie review of using R4i 3DS Gold Plus: ntrboothax

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xepherous, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    (12:23pm, UK time): I'm expecting my R4i Gold 3DS Plus to arrive today, I will update this post with my experience of hacking my 2 week old 2DS XL!

My card arrived. I bought from nds-card (GBATemp sponsor), I ordered on Sunday 7th Jan. and it came today, Wednesday 17th Jan (China -> UK).
    Images of the packaging and what it contained below. It came with the card itself, a USB card reader and also a small magnet! (Note: I switched to 'N' myself, it will come in 'D' mode)
    https://imgur.com/a/Q2BgG

(13:06pm): Starting the hacking process following 3ds.guide:
    Downloaded all the files needed, put the card into 'N' mode, put card into DS, placed magnet in sweet spot (for me it was between X and A button).
    Held down X, select and start and it booted into SafeB9SInstaller!
    Basically just followed the guide exactly right to the end.

I finished all the steps within about 20 minutes. I just followed 3ds.guide word for word and I had 0 issues. CFW was something I read about 2-3 weeks ago and now I've achieved it on my own 2DS XL.

Thank you to the creators of 3ds.guide and the sponsor nds-card for shipping my card out so quick! Any other 'noobs' like myself should follow what I did and hopefully you will have CFW your own device.

Last edited by Xepherous, Jan 17, 2018
  2. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    My 'review' is now complete. If anyone wants more information from ordering the card to actually hacking my 2DS XL, feel free to ask here or PM me. :)

3. tranfeer

tranfeer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2010
    Australia
    Very nice

Xepherous likes this.
  4. TheTrippyHippie

TheTrippyHippie Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United States
    I've been considering buying one to mod with, but how much of a struggle is it to take apart the card and put it back together? Does it just snap apart and back together or something like that?

5. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It is extremely easy to take apart and put back together, easier than I thought. It does simply snap apart and then you can put it back in place again with the holes

6. Freqman

Freqman Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2007
    Canada
    i also got it from that site, i followed the guide on r4ids.cn tho. It was well worth it! compared to the sky3ds i used to own, this was cheap and very effective, and even better than the sky3ds, since you can play virtual console games, eshop exclusives, homebrew etc..

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    We don't see a lot of people posting their success stories, people tend to only post when they have problems, but this is useful for new users who are wanting to hack their 3DS and aren't sure where to begin, so thanks :)

tranfeer, SpiffyJUNIOR and Xepherous like this.
  8. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Funny you metion Sky3DS - I started out wondering how to play free games, googled and constantly came across 'CFW'. Few weeks later I now have a CFW 2DS lol, but yeah CFW > Sky3DS definitely

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah when I first joined the forum all I saw was people having issues making me skeptical of it all. However, me being me, I just HAD to give it a try myself! I hope other new people find it useful

Hunter likes this.
  9. dsearnack

dsearnack Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    United States
    Have the same card, have enjoyed it! glad it has served you well! btw once it stopped working in "D" mode for me (and some others i've seen since)
    I would recommend downloading the ntrboot_flasher luma/payload and making a backup.bin from the card you are enjoying :)
    Otherwise there is a backup floating around on gba - just ive read about different versions and a true backup of YOUR card (before any issues) would be more accurate than what is here ;) (perhaps giving different versions)
    Enjoy and thanks for sharing your success story!

emuashui likes this.
  10. BADDINOROX99

BADDINOROX99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    this is what I ended up doing with mine so I won't have to pull it apart and snap it back together every time[​IMG]

11. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    This is good info for those who wish to use in D mode. I only got the card to ntrboothax :D

dsearnack likes this.
  12. tranfeer

May 23, 2010
    Australia
    :D:rofl2:

zoogie likes this.
  13. BADDINOROX99

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    lol I know it looks ghetto but I didn't have a dremel small enough to perfectly cut a square so I had to use an exatO blade

14. Mark2333

Mark2333 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 29, 2017
    United States
    20 days for shipping? If it's a free shipment, it's ok.

15. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    That does not look that bad... you could use some sandpaper if you really must.

16. BADDINOROX99

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    good idea I hadn't thought of that

17. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Where did you get 20 days from? It took me 8 working days (not incl weekend) - I paid £1.50 for tracked shipment.

18. BADDINOROX99

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    for them to ship it, it took about a week... and for it to actually arrive at my house after it shipped it took about a month and 2 weeks.. I paid for tracking

19. tranfeer

May 23, 2010
    Australia
    Good idea

20. Dodoshwedo

Dodoshwedo Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2018
    Canada
    I have the exact same card but I can't figure out how to run DS games on it. Is there a specific kernel I need to download for it? I can't find any info for this specific card (R4i 3DS Gold Plus) Any help would be greatly appreciated!