A New Low For 'Reality' TV

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Opium, May 30, 2007.

May 30, 2007

A New Low For 'Reality' TV by Opium at 3:31 PM (1,837 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I was reading the newspaper this morning and I was shocked to read a story about a new Dutch reality TV show in which three terminally ill contestants compete for a life saving kidney transplant. The audience is even encouraged to send in choices for their preferred candidate for who gets to live.

Source

That's absolutely disgusting, making choices like that about the lives of three people. Putting people in that sort of position where they have to actively compete to save their lives. I detest reality TV shows but this takes the cake...

Here in Australia we aren't innocent though, Big Brother is on at the moment and one of the contestants hasn't been told that their father has died. During the last live show, an audience member held up a sign for the cameras saying "Emma, your father is dead". That person was quickly rushed out of the venue before the housemates picked up on it.

What a wonderful world television is.

2. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
  3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Okay, our local newspaper said the show featured one patient and several donors, and the donors are eliminated by medical screenings, and the "winner" gets to donate the organ. And the show was supposed to show people that it's really really hard to find a compatible donor, or something.

Okay, either our papers got something wrong, or I got something wrong, or BBC got something wrong. Hmm. Let's see. When it comes to credibility and/or competence, I'll admit to be fighting for first place with BBC, if we don't take political news into consideration (where I'm in the lead, because I have, um, competence), while our local poapers are so far behind on competence and/or credibility I turn to Teletubbies for news, well, anyway, in any case, I'll never admit to getting anything wrong, I'll grudgingly admit that BBC may have gotten something right, and I'll be very happy to agree that our local papers got everything wrong.

I prefer my version of the show. The real one is just disgusting.

4. cruddybuddy

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

United States
    LONG LIVE THE ROMAN EMPIRE!

5. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    In my mind, there's no way that this show can be worse than the one where the reject girls from the Flava Flav show go to charm school. That show has absolutely no redeeming qualities at all.

I'd have to assume that this isn't going to be broadcast in the USA, so I'm going to have to download to see how people behave in a "challenge" show when they think that their life is on the line.

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Oh how I mourn the lost times when I was blissfully oblivious of the existence of that show (a minute ago, that is) [​IMG]

7. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    They must think people are actually going to watch this, or they wouldn't show it. I just hope that no one watches this and its cancelled quickly. I wouldn't like to be one of the relatives of the dying people. Can you imagine what it would be like for them?

8. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    I think this idea is great. It shows how mature and intelligent TV watchers are! [​IMG]
    Edit: I mean.. Id rather watch lions eating humans that race cars going around race track

9. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Oh it's awful, we heard about it on the radio at work. Sick.

10. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Does that mean that everyone dies then?

11. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    Our generation allowed this to happen! More people vote with SMS for their favorite "reality TV" contestant than they do for lawmakers.

I'm actually surprised it took this long for reality to catch up with sci-fi flicks like rollerball and running man. It's only going to get worse, fellas, so get with the program and enjoy.

12. ndela007

Member ndela007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So when should we expect mass murder to become reality tv?

"If you want the state of California to be tactically nuked dial *001"

13. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    When is the US going to create a show using all the people from death row???

Seriously they could do something manhunt style, chuck them all in a huge complex with cameras and various implements around the place and tell them that the winner is the last one out alive!

/jk

14. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    although it IS a pretty twisted premise for a show, I doubt we have all the details. maybe the contestants have no chance at getting that kidney by normal 'waiting list' means, or through friends/family. this show may then be their BEST chance to live.

still, sick [​IMG]

15. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Kidney failure hardly means instant death these days. It just means you go to dialysis three times a week. I don't know how the Netherlands is, but here in the US, everyone gets a way on to dialysis, even the homeless. A kidney will greatly improve your life, certainly. But the "losers" of the show are hardly being sentenced to death, like many tv/radio spots are touting this.

The fact is, it takes 3+ years to wait for a random person to match you, and happen into a fatal car accident or whatever. The world needs a billion more people to be organ donors. After you're gone, kidneys (and other parts) can do more good in other people than in worms' bellies.

16. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    My uncle died at age 54 because of his bad kidneys. It doesn't "just" mean you get dialysis three times a week, as that isn't enough for you to see, oh, I dunno, your kids grow up. Eventually, you really, really need new kidneys.

17. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    DAMN I WOULD LIKE TO SEE REAL-LIFE RUNNING MAN OR ROLLERBALL OR DEATHRACE 2000 [​IMG]
    edit: i mean HELL YEA. running man .. imagine. cool show. or rollerball. or some more violence to ice hockey in style of enki bilal comics.. just replace end of hockey stick with long sword thingie or something

18. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Kidney failure is manageable for most of the people with it. Sure there are tragic cases. I can tell you about people who get a kidney from a relative, with the full 6 points matching, and die within a few weeks. And there are people who have been on dialysis for 20+ years. There are extremes in all statistics, and I could go on with other examples, but it is manageable for the vast majority of people with the problem. Sure, there is more to it than just dialysis (them little kidneys have a LOT of functions to your body, besides filtering water), but it is a major step, and most people here have probably at a minimum heard of it.

But, my primary point with this game show, thread, and various reports about it in the media, is that it is not a simple game in which the winner gets to live and the losers die tomorrow. Go ahead and be outraged by it if you wish, but do so with the right reasons. The losers are no more "being sentenced to death" than the millions of people with kidney failure already out there.

19. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It's a great idea for a show.

Here are some ideas for the show's title:

Strictly Come and get a Kidney
    The Price (for a kidney) is right
    The K Team

I've run out of ideas [​IMG]