A new Dragon Ball game has been announced, features asymmetrical survival multiplayer

Dragon Ball games tend to follow the same trend: you play as Goku, usually following the events of his victory against Piccolo, and then the Dragon Ball Z story is retold for the millionth time, sometimes ending at the Cell Saga, other times making it all the way to the end of DBZ. That's exactly what the previous game, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot did. This time around, however, Bandai Namco is going in a completely new direction. Dragon Ball: The Breakers is a new game that bucks the trend of all other DBZ games, as it's going to be a co-op survival game with asymmetrical multiplayer.

In The Breakers. you'll be able to either control a team of seven human characters trying to survive, or you can play as iconic DBZ villains like Cell or Freiza, who are trying to wipe out the opposing team. The human team will have to cooperate in order to find powerups, weapons, and supplies in order to escape without being killed. Dragon Ball: The Breakers is set for release on PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and the Nintendo Switch for sometime next year.

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
minecraft: dragon ball z edition
i just saw survival and this is the first thing that came to mind
its prolly wrong but im not gonna change my assumption lol

lattechan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Ball: The Breakers​
Check it out I found the box art on the bamco website
https://cdn-cms.bnea.io/sites/default/files/games/boxart/204638333089875.jpg
204638333089875.jpg

and a screenshot

Attachments

• 204630207101000.png
    204630207101000.png
    894 KB · Views: 73

yraverageamongoose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is like telling someone to "Bing it", I don't think anyone thinks about Evolve when talking about asymmetrical multiplayer games.

Or at all, really.

Game looks alright, but Bandainamco will probably sell it for $60 plus DLC.
probably, but it if it actually lives up to the hype, it'll be very worth it

also, first dragonball game i've seen without goku

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Something new with an existing IP? sign me up. better have couch co-op, though we all know it probably won't.
this game is one of the games that cant have couch coop lol

so your hidding from someone playing the bad guy and your friend playing the bad guy just seeing your hiding spot on the tv right next to his screen? lol

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Ball...doesn't that have that old pervy martial-arts master?
How's that gonna fly in today's stupid overly-sensitive, pro-female-biased climate?
This is a Dragon Ball Z game, not Dragon Ball. Roshi was in like two or three episodes of DBZ, and his character was of no real consequence. He definitely won't be in this, nor does he need to be.

Also weird that this was the first place your mind went, clearly you're overloading on bullshit right-wing culture war content.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have never seen a franchise getting milked to death like this. This is even worse than AC and FIFA.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have never seen a franchise getting milked to death like this. This is even worse than AC and FIFA.
So you've never seen a successful, long-running franchise before? DBZ has had games on nearly every console ever released. They've mostly been fighting games, and they haven't always been good, but there have been a number of solid releases for the IP lately. Kakarot and FighterZ, to name just a couple.

I for one appreciate the fact that they're at least trying to branch out a bit with the genres and gameplay mechanics, even if this one in particular is likely to be a pass for me. Better than taking the copy-paste route of Pokemon or FIFA, certainly.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So you've never seen a successful, long-running franchise before? DBZ has had games on nearly every console ever released. They've mostly been fighting games, and they haven't always been good, but there have been a number of solid releases for the IP lately. Kakarot and FighterZ, to name just a couple.

I for one appreciate the fact that they're at least trying to branch out a bit with the genres and gameplay mechanics, even if this one in particular is likely to be a pass for me. Better than taking the copy-paste route of Pokemon or FIFA, certainly.
Pokémon only milks the same story sometimes. It seems that for every dozen new DB games only one seems to be new (I can only recall part of Xenoverse). Even FIFA puts a new story mode every year now instead of showing the same story over and over.

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It'll be nice to play a Dragon Ball game which isn't rehashing the same story again and again.
As cool as it is to be Goku or Trunks and fuck shit up and save the world, we know the outcome. I really wanted to love DBZ Kakarot, but it just can't hold my attention, I hope this one can.

I don't see how these characters will triumph over Perfect Cell, so it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is a Dragon Ball Z game, not Dragon Ball. Roshi was in like two or three episodes of DBZ, and his character was of no real consequence. He definitely won't be in this, nor does he need to be.

Also weird that this was the first place your mind went, clearly you're overloading on bullshit right-wing culture war content.
I don't know much about Dragon Ball; one of the things I do know, thanks to an old Death Battle episode, is that Roshi exists...and that the general character archetype (another example: Pepe LePew, the amorous skunk) has waned in popularity for idiotic reasons.

So if I accidentally conflated DB with DBZ, that's why; not savvy when it comes to that anime.

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
This new approach sounds really interesting! Adventure combined with awesome fights have proved to fit well in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, so a multi-player co-op adventure will be amazing! ^_^

Can't wait to try it out! :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released