A new 2D Metroid game is in development, titled Metroid Dread

The first original 2D Metroid game in 19 years has just been unveiled. Nintendo has shown the initial footage for Metroid Dread, which features traditional Metroid gameplay elements, as well as a general horror vibe, robots, and exploration. The game will be launching later this year, on October 8th, for the Nintendo Switch. Meanwhile, Metroid Prime 4 is still in development, but had no updates to show at this year's E3.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, this is a buy for me. Never really got into the 3D metroids. I didn't expect them to make another 2D one but i guess people liked Samuus Returns enough for them to bother.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this is a buy for me. Never really got into the 3D metroids. I didn't expect them to make another 2D one but i guess people liked Samuus Returns enough for them to bother.

I bought the metroid prime trilogy on the wii u. I've never beaten a metroid prime game, but I got pretty close in parts 1 and 2, I think. I'm really looking forward to part 4, love those spiderball tracks. according to Nintendo today, part 4 is still in development. I was afraid it was scrapped again, saw another thread about them starting over in 2019. it might not be 'til the end of the switch's lifecycle when it's released.

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still kinda wondering why people are calling this 2D when it's 2.5D.

Also, to be honest, the art style isn't doing much for me. Looks like the 3DS version with super uninspired UI.

Why can't they make a AAA game in sprites anymore? Is that too much to ask?

Reactions: Xuio

Gamerjin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this game takes place after Metroid Fusion, would that mean Samus still has her vulnerability to cold? I wonder if she can absorb a lot of energy from things now, like a real metroid.
nah, plot armor would be like: "after the threat of Parasite X, the Galaxy Federation scanned for and remove the cold vulnerability the Metroid's suffered from using the left-over research from Zero Metroid." (see "Zero Metroid" from Other M for details)

Last edited by Gamerjin,

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ohh So.... Didn't knew it was a remake, my fault....... ;)
Yup, Samus Returns is a remake of Metroid 2 on the original Gameboy and is pretty much unrecognizable (for the better in my opinion). I love the original Metroid 2 and played through it recently again, too, but they did go and turn all the lessons they learned from later titles and the horsepower from the 3DS into something that wasn't held back as much.

Very much looking forward to Dread, Mercury did good with Samus Returns and the new movement and sprint bash ability really seem like what SR was missing. Now if only they can properly capture that feeling of Fusion again to be hunted by the SA-X.

If this game takes place after Metroid Fusion, would that mean Samus still has her vulnerability to cold? I wonder if she can absorb a lot of energy from things now, like a real metroid.

If the trailer is to be believed she can, at least temporarily, though she loses the fusion suit (as usual).

Still kinda wondering why people are calling this 2D when it's 2.5D.

Also, to be honest, the art style isn't doing much for me. Looks like the 3DS version with super uninspired UI.

Why can't they make a AAA game in sprites anymore? Is that too much to ask?

2.5D is just marketing lingo if there aren't multiple 2D tracks available to move between, even with the 3D rendering of everything the gameplay itself only happens in two dimensions.

Also yes, it looks like and will likely feel like Samus Returns because it's the same dev studio making it.

Last edited by RAHelllord,

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so freaken excited for this, I've heard about Dread on and off again, so I'm glad they've finally got it up and running, and the best part is its out 7 days before my bday, whoop! :D

Reactions: banjo2

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if the Samus Return devs are working on this. Which is most likely the case. And with how great the 3DS game was, it's probably what made Ninty let them work on Metroid 5 after all these years of it being in limbo.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wonder if the Samus Return devs are working on this. Which is most likely the case. And with how great the 3DS game was, it's probably what made Ninty let them work on Metroid 5 after all these years of it being in limbo.
Yes, it's being made by MercurySteam again, under the lead of Yoshio Sakamoto, they mentioned it during the treehouse interview with Mr. Sakamoto.

D

Deleted User

There was a rumor of a Metroid Dread like 8-10 years ago I believe.

I guess that proves it was true but didn't happen for whatever reason.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had a feeling Mercurysteam was involved with this after seeing the melee attack from Samus Returns. I really hope that they won't go heavy on the story like Other M and just have some good old fashioned 2D Metroid.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's a definite buy for me. I watched the Nintendo presentation earlier today. it looks quite nice. I never played the metroid 2 remake, so I think the last metroid game I played might have been other m.
Other M is one of my favorite Wii games. Yeah, the story sucks ass, but Metroid in 3rd person? C'mon, the gameplay was kinda bad ass.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
iirc theres a Other M rom hack that fixes some of the issues with the game.
My main issues were the first person sections and the story.

Last edited by ploggy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol