A [minor] complaint about the blog system

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a fairly long running member of GBAtemp, I've seen the blogs change a few times. I liked the old blogs better than the new ones, but I've gotten used to them (aka, it's neither here nor there). Recently, I've noticed something disturbing. It's kinda small, so it usually wouldn't warrant a complaint. However, it bothers the hell out of me now that I've noticed it. The starred rating system that we got going on there is really bugging me. I for one don't blog for any type of rating, and I'd rather have the option to turn it off completely. Now that someone has actually been using it on my blog, I find the 1 star rating completely infuriating and unwarranted. It's almost as if it were silently spiting me. >.< Could it be possible to have the option to turn it off, or better yet, completely remove it?

Reactions: 2 people

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I agree that the rating system is sort of...oddly placed in the blogs. I think it's been brought up before, though, and they've still kept it.

However, you shouldn't get your knickers in a twist cuz someone on the interwebz gave you 1 star.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I for one think that the user itself could choose weather to enable or disable it.

But if more are going for the option to remove it then I also cast my vote on disable.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not that I'm angry about some twat (maybe accidentally) rating my blog a 1/5. It doesn't bother me. It's the fact that the rating system even exists for the blogs at all. It's pointless really.

EDIT: Besides, now that I have this 1 bright yellow star out of 5 potential yellow stars, it's an eye sore.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised that people here use the blogging service seriously. Seems like a single step above MySpace notes.

I've been using the blogs for quite some time now. I have quite a few members I follow and read all their blogs. This is a close knit community who actually care what happens in each other's lives.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange. The Catboy's thread didn't nearly get as much positive reinforcement. Anyway.

I agree that rating's are pointless, and that they belong in EoF where they won't be valued much if at all.

Reactions: 2 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have a problem with it.

I agree that it can be a bit irritating to see a topic blindly "one-starred", but it's not like the ratings matter at all. It's pretty easy to ignore, also, so I'm not sure if it's even worth the effort to disable it.

snakepliskin2334

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know i been thinking gbatemp is a good site i really do but next time they the creators of the site want to change things can the other member of the site vote on it first like yes or no in a poll kinda thing and if they look at that than decide to change things by all means do it that way unlike in the past where its chaining and we dont find out until the next time we log on i mean its only a thought but its up to you guys the powers at be.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never found the rating to be anything past a gimmick. Looks nice but it's honestly quite useless. I receive no amount of internet erections or crushingly low self esteem from it.

Also has anyone considered my minor and probably forgotten request to make the Blogs more like a subforum like they were pre-update?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have a problem with it.

I agree that it can be a bit irritating to see a topic blindly "one-starred", but it's not like the ratings matter at all. It's pretty easy to ignore, also, so I'm not sure if it's even worth the effort to disable it.
to be honest rating for blogs could be entirely disabled, I don't see the point really...
what does everyone think?

Costello makes it seem like it wouldn't take much time. Then again, it's not really even the rating I'm mad at. It's more like my ADHD acting up, and the whole "it's freaking pointless" thing. At the moment it's just an eyesore.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Basically every blog is 1starred. Just the way of life now.

So yeah, entirely disabling it wouldn't really be much of a loss. Might as well.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like any effort spent on the topic (no matter how minimal) is too much. It's a complete non issue in my eyes, but that's just me.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I like the star ratings. Anyone who gives me a low star rating obviously is butthurt that I'm right, and anyone who gives me a high star rating obviously knows what he/she is reading. Anyone inbetween is just an indecisive idiot who needs to grow some balls.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM