Hacking A method to load fw.img or mocha CFW without gamepad?

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

ddurdle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@CreeperMario made a fork of HBL in his github https://github.com/dimok789/homebrew_launcher/issues/28#issuecomment-277496470
You can cycle apps with the dpad of whatever controller (included WUPC) launch with button A or cancel with B, it's important mention there's not visual highlights so you need to try until you find the app you want to launch, it's not a bug is just the graphical cue has been implemented yet.
Implementing functionality to allow the use of any controller is one thing, but bypassing the need to have a powered on Gamepad is another issue completely. The standard HBL that I have requires a gamepad -- no gamepad and you can't even get to the point where you navigate the apps. Believe it is all due to the fact it relies on Mii Maker which requires a gamepad, in order to read the SD card.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Why not just edit the meta.xml of the DS VC to remove the gamepad limitation?
This should work
Code:
<drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">1</drc_use>
I had a little time on my hands so I thought I would give this little trick ago I used ftpiiu & filezilla and it worked first time, great stuff!. I was very happy with myself that it actually worked and looked great on the tv to boot, apart from the auto boot function writing not been center on the tv screen, like it would with the gamepad but nothing to complain about though. Thanks buddy! :)
Quick video for you to say thanks. Sorry it shakes a bit, it was hard to do while pressing the buttons on the gamepad at the same time and the quality is not great but then again I'm not a professional camera man so its expected! Before anyone mentions it is on a tv, it is because you can see the "no signal" sign at the beginning just to confirm it :)

Last edited by Reecey,

Hikari06

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I had a little time on my hands so I thought I would give this little trick ago I used ftpiiu & filezilla and it worked first time, great stuff!. I was very happy with myself that it actually worked and looked great on the tv to boot, apart from the auto boot function writing not been center on the tv screen, like it would with the gamepad but nothing to complain about though. Thanks buddy! :)
Quick video for you to say thanks. Sorry it shakes a bit, it was hard to do while pressing the buttons on the gamepad at the same time and the quality is not great but then again I'm not a professional camera man so its expected! Before anyone mentions it is on a tv, it is because you can see the "no signal" sign at the beginning just to confirm it :)

Awesome :)

Reactions: Reecey

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I really didn't know this was an option until you mentioned about it earlier on and I had never really thought it was even possible with cbhc menu so I think this is a really cool little feature find by yourself and also a great add on to the cbhc. Everyone should do this who's using cbhc on there wiiu, its a handy option to take up if this sort of problem occurs in the thread, nice one dude, hats off to you man!

Last edited by Reecey,

victormr21

Trophies
XP
Country
Has someone tried to change Mii Maker, Splatoon, or SMM meta.xml to change the required to opcional GamePad?
Has it worked?
I want to do it but if someone has tried it and it didn't work...
Bye!

steren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@ddurdle Haxchi reinstall is needed if you need to modify config.txt if you modify from ftp, it causes problems like -3 errors. Please add that info to you post.

alonzondavis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone do a video tutorial of this? I am clueless on how to go about this and I cant figure it out but anything I do it still needs the gamepad to be on.

ElHugoLoco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I could suggest you to test this build of Mocha 0.2? : http://gamerzcorp.org/tempo/private/mocha_auto/mocha.elf
It's a fork of the official Mocha except that it will auto-launch itself using default options (Sigpatch, etc). It can be used throught Mocha CFW's automation option on the gate (loadiine.ovh).

Usually Mocha's splashscreen appears on the Gamepad while launching, so to see if it has worked well for you, try to run a program needing a sigpatch.
How do I use hexfwboot on loadiine.ovh my gamepad charger broke

irame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a method to load fw.img or mocha CFW without gamepad?

Haxchi requires a gamepad. Homebrew Launcher UI is through the gamepad only.

A web browser exploit to invoke Mocha CFW or CFW booter (fw.img) would be good.

UPDATED!

Here is a working solution care of the multiple submissions by users in this thread.

First off, if you haven't setup Haxchi yet, do yourself a favour and when you do install it, make sure the button "a" action in the config.txt file is set to sysmenu. Open the config.txt on the SD card, edit the file and ensure first line is a=sysmenu. If you already have Haxchi installed, don't worry, we will edit the config.txt file that is installed.

You need a gamepad initially to get things going, such as get Haxchi installed, invoking Haxchi to get into a CFW that will provide access to FTP Everywhere (full access to filesystem).

After you install Haxchi against the DS VC title, you will want to locate the install and modify the compatibility of the game to not require the gamepad. This will avoid the "you must have your gamepad turned on" error when invoking Haxchi.

You need to edit the game's meta.xml. One way is as follows:

You will need to locate the meta.xml file for the DS VC game using FTP Everywhere
/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/meta/meta.xml

Download the file using an FTP explorer on your computer and locate and update the following line to the value indicated.

Reupload the file to the same location on the SYSNAND.

If you know that you haven't set button a's config to launch sysmenu when you installed Haxchi, go ahead now and locate the config.txt file on SYSNAND using your computer's FTP program while connected to FTP Everywhere. It'll be in the same path, but content directory, such as /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/content/config.txt

Download the file, validate the first line assigned a=sysmenu. If it doesn't update it and replace the config.txt on the SYSNAND with the file.

THAT'S IT.

When you invoke Haxchi from any controller (wii remote, wii u pro controller, gamepad, etc) WHILE A GAMEPAD IS IN RANGE AND ON, the default execution behaviour will be whatever default= is set in the config.txt file used at Haxchi install time (the version of the file on SYSNAND). WHILE THERE IS NO GAMEPAD IN RANGE (no gamepad on), the default behaviour will be button a=, not whatever you have set for default=.

Booting to sysmenu doesn't require the gamepad. If you set the button a to another boot option, such as loading mocha, hbl, etc, these tools require gamepad, and you will be greeted with a prompt to turn the gamepad on to continue.

Booting to sysmenu will provide you a Haxchi signature patched SYSNAND homescreen where you can start your software that requires the signature patching -- all without requiring a gamepad.
I changed a=sysmenu and still get stuck on "From this point, you will need to use the Wii U GamePad. Please turn the Gamepad on now.

El 15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I did all as you explain here but there are some things missing. it didn't work for me

I changed the first line for de second.
<drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">2</drc_use>

I changed it in notepad (windows) I dont know how if it works, saved as .xml

it seems all well but when I run haxchi it's the same it needs gamepad.

Last edited by El 15,

ZeldaWW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys sorry to bump this thread but this information is quite brilliant because i also have a wii U without gamepad and with a Wii U pro controller. I can also use DRC-sim but my idea is to just leave out drc-sim

1) someone mentioned that after you get into mocha , using ftp, if you need to edit the config on NAND manually, that can cause errors (so haxchi needs to be reinstalled and assign the button layout according to the first post? "A = sysmenu"

2) The homebrew launcher was modified per author on one of their fixes to be able to use a pro controller for example on homebrew launcher without a gamepad. Developer also posted a version of patched "homebrew launcher channel version".

so that means that :

a) i have haxchi but my button A was not assigned to sysmenu, therefore i need to reinstall haxchi and assign A to sysmenu

b) i need to use patched "homebrewlauncher" and patched "homebrewlauncher channel version", so that when the haxchi it runned without a gamepad, it goes to CFW , and from there i can launch homebrew with "patched homebrew launcher channel" and navigate homebrew with pro controller.

im i right?
has anyone done this so far?

im just trying to get rid of gamepad requirements. The only time i would use DRC-Sim would be to launch bayoneta, which is a game that requires gamepad on, and never uses it.

see my main goal is to have a Wii U with Wii U pro controller only ( i know some games will not work but i don´t care about those games i don´t want them) so i want a maximum free Wii U as possible , that i can still use with other Wii U games, + vWii + WiiU HOMEBREW CHANNEL using only a WiiU pro controller.

P

pasc

Hmm.. this is odd..
I used "Mocha CFW", booted "FTPiiU Everywhere"
=>1.)
Edited (2 => 1 swap)
2.)
Edited (swapped fw.bin and sysnand)
/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/content/config.txt
The strange thing is.
After rebooting the Wii U... nothing changed...
Rebooting the FTP server shows: the files remained unchanged:
Any ideas ? I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong here...

EDIT: Used "Wii-U-Title-Boot-Editor" to change "Haxchi"'s TV Mode from [All] to [TV]
Now the Gamepad nag is gone.... but haxchi no longer launches... instead it keeps showing the "WiiU" loading screen endlessly...
Weird
EDIT2: Reinstalled Haxchi from scratch... probably gotta get another NDSVC title for these kind of experiments now...

Last edited by ,

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm.. this is odd..
I used "Mocha CFW", booted "FTPiiU Everywhere"
=>1.)
Edited (2 => 1 swap)
2.)
Edited (swapped fw.bin and sysnand)
/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/content/config.txt
The strange thing is.
After rebooting the Wii U... nothing changed...
Rebooting the FTP server shows: the files remained unchanged:
Any ideas ? I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong here...

EDIT: Used "Wii-U-Title-Boot-Editor" to change "Haxchi"'s TV Mode from [All] to [TV]
Now the Gamepad nag is gone.... but haxchi no longer launches... instead it keeps showing the "WiiU" loading screen endlessly...
Weird
EDIT2: Reinstalled Haxchi from scratch... probably gotta get another NDSVC title for these kind of experiments now...
I made the installer do that modification automatically
https://github.com/piratesephiroth/haxchi/releases/latest

Reactions: jeannotte

dweller25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I was unable to get this to work after many tries.
I changed the drc_use to 1 in meta.xml, changed the config.txt and reinstalled Haxchi. Still asks for wiiu pad.
I also tried to install @piratesephiroth haxchi installer fork, it worked until I rebooted.
When I check the meta.xml and config.txt via FTP on NAND, the values are correct (drc_use is 1 and a=sysmenu).
I really don't get what I am doing wrong here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol