A method to load fw.img or mocha CFW without gamepad?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by ddurdle, Jan 19, 2017.

1. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    CreeperMario and krueger96 like this.
  2. ddurdle
    OP

ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Canada
    Implementing functionality to allow the use of any controller is one thing, but bypassing the need to have a powered on Gamepad is another issue completely. The standard HBL that I have requires a gamepad -- no gamepad and you can't even get to the point where you navigate the apps. Believe it is all due to the fact it relies on Mii Maker which requires a gamepad, in order to read the SD card.

3. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I had a little time on my hands so I thought I would give this little trick ago I used ftpiiu & filezilla and it worked first time, great stuff!. I was very happy with myself that it actually worked and looked great on the tv to boot, apart from the auto boot function writing not been center on the tv screen, like it would with the gamepad but nothing to complain about though. Thanks buddy! :)
    Quick video for you to say thanks. Sorry it shakes a bit, it was hard to do while pressing the buttons on the gamepad at the same time and the quality is not great but then again I'm not a professional camera man so its expected! Before anyone mentions it is on a tv, it is because you can see the "no signal" sign at the beginning just to confirm it :)

Last edited by Reecey, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Hikari06

Hikari06 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2012
    Ecuador
    Awesome :)

Reecey likes this.
  5. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I really didn't know this was an option until you mentioned about it earlier on and I had never really thought it was even possible with cbhc menu so I think this is a really cool little feature find by yourself and also a great add on to the cbhc. Everyone should do this who's using cbhc on there wiiu, its a handy option to take up if this sort of problem occurs in the thread, nice one dude, hats off to you man!

Last edited by Reecey, Feb 14, 2017
  6. alonzondavis

alonzondavis GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    How do you boot into loadiine without the gamepad?

Last edited by alonzondavis, Mar 22, 2017
  7. victormr21

victormr21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    Has someone tried to change Mii Maker, Splatoon, or SMM meta.xml to change the required to opcional GamePad?
    Has it worked?
    I want to do it but if someone has tried it and it didn't work...
    Bye!

8. steren

steren Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2008
    Mexico
    @ddurdle Haxchi reinstall is needed if you need to modify config.txt if you modify from ftp, it causes problems like -3 errors. Please add that info to you post.

9. alonzondavis

alonzondavis GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Could someone do a video tutorial of this? I am clueless on how to go about this and I cant figure it out but anything I do it still needs the gamepad to be on.

10. ElHugoLoco

ElHugoLoco Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2016
    United States
    How do I use hexfwboot on loadiine.ovh my gamepad charger broke

11. irame

irame Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2018
    United States
    I changed a=sysmenu and still get stuck on "From this point, you will need to use the Wii U GamePad. Please turn the Gamepad on now.

12. El 15

El 15 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2016
    Mexico
    I did all as you explain here but there are some things missing. it didn't work for me

I changed the first line for de second.
    <drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">2</drc_use>
    <drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">1</drc_use>

I changed it in notepad (windows) I dont know how if it works, saved as .xml

it seems all well but when I run haxchi it's the same it needs gamepad.

Last edited by El 15, Jun 5, 2018
  13. ZeldaWW

ZeldaWW Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2013
    Hey guys sorry to bump this thread but this information is quite brilliant because i also have a wii U without gamepad and with a Wii U pro controller. I can also use DRC-sim but my idea is to just leave out drc-sim

1) someone mentioned that after you get into mocha , using ftp, if you need to edit the config on NAND manually, that can cause errors (so haxchi needs to be reinstalled and assign the button layout according to the first post? "A = sysmenu"

2) The homebrew launcher was modified per author on one of their fixes to be able to use a pro controller for example on homebrew launcher without a gamepad. Developer also posted a version of patched "homebrew launcher channel version".

so that means that :

a) i have haxchi but my button A was not assigned to sysmenu, therefore i need to reinstall haxchi and assign A to sysmenu

b) i need to use patched "homebrewlauncher" and patched "homebrewlauncher channel version", so that when the haxchi it runned without a gamepad, it goes to CFW , and from there i can launch homebrew with "patched homebrew launcher channel" and navigate homebrew with pro controller.

im i right?
    has anyone done this so far?

im just trying to get rid of gamepad requirements. The only time i would use DRC-Sim would be to launch bayoneta, which is a game that requires gamepad on, and never uses it.

see my main goal is to have a Wii U with Wii U pro controller only ( i know some games will not work but i don´t care about those games i don´t want them) so i want a maximum free Wii U as possible , that i can still use with other Wii U games, + vWii + WiiU HOMEBREW CHANNEL using only a WiiU pro controller.

14. ZeldaWW

ZeldaWW Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2013
    nobody knows?

15. pasc

pasc Newbie

Hmm.. this is odd..
    I used "Mocha CFW", booted "FTPiiU Everywhere"
    =>1.)
    Edited (2 => 1 swap)
    /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/meta/meta.xml
    2.)
    Edited (swapped fw.bin and sysnand)
    /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/content/config.txt
    The strange thing is.
    After rebooting the Wii U... nothing changed...
    Rebooting the FTP server shows: the files remained unchanged:
    Any ideas ? I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong here...

EDIT: Used "Wii-U-Title-Boot-Editor" to change "Haxchi"'s TV Mode from [All] to [TV]
    Now the Gamepad nag is gone.... but haxchi no longer launches... instead it keeps showing the "WiiU" loading screen endlessly...
    Weird
    EDIT2: Reinstalled Haxchi from scratch... probably gotta get another NDSVC title for these kind of experiments now...

Last edited Aug 11, 2019