Hacking A method to load fw.img or mocha CFW without gamepad?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
It exist in all meta files, I don't know very well the values and his meanings but the possible values are: 0, 1, 2 and 65513 (or similar) zero is for Incompatible, other for required, other for compatible but not required and other is for compatible with GamePad VC games....
EDIT: And a curiosity for developers:
Can we add a new string "because yes" or we have to edit something in somewhere on the console?
I say this because if you do a meta.xml with a Nintendo Developer Tool it shows a lot more strings that normal meta.xml....
I was actaully just trying to download my meta.xml file of haxchi Brain Training pal using wupserver to try it out but it will not let me, it just says it could not open. I typed in> w.dl("meta.xml", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/meta/meta.xml") it would not let me download the meta.xml file maybe once the new haxchi/cbhc is installed over the original game maybe its gone.

Last edited by Reecey,

Hikari06

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I was actaully just trying to download my meta.xml file of haxchi Brain Training pal using wupserver to try it out but it will not let me, it just says it could not open. I typed in> w.dl("meta.xml", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/meta/meta.xml") it would not let me download the meta.xml file maybe once the new haxchi/cbhc is installed over the original game maybe its gone.
Yeah it should be possible I'm not sure what value you should put there, I believe it's 1 but I haven't tested it.
As for editing the file just do it with ftpiiu everywhere + mocha, works like a charm.

Reactions: Reecey

ddurdle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
loadiine.ovh now supports Mocha CFW as an automatic choice.
Just open loadiine.ovh in your wii u's web browser, exit the browser, open it again, choose Mocha CFW and activate the permanent option (or something like that, I don't remember what was called) and start Mocha CFW, now everytime you start your browser you'll start Mocha CFW without the need for a Gamepad :yayu:

THANK YOU. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I've been checking for a long time and never saw the choice and was wondering if there was a reason why not. I checked one last time before posting here. Maybe they saw my post and asked themselves why not add it if it can? Going to go test it now!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is the WiiU pretty not much redundant anyway without the main controller or a controller full stop? you do need them and if your using Wii controllers you could always just use those to select the menu on boot up and guess the selection menu, I'm sure you will pick the correct one eventually on boot up, just keep trying until you do.
I've got all kinds of controllers. When I play on TV, I don't want to use the gamepad, reason why I bought a Wii U Pro controller. The Wii U Pro controller is an official "substitute" for the Gamepad for all menus on the Wii U except the Settings (there is nothing around that) or any game that explicitly requires Gamepad. There is nothing that can be done to get around the Gamepad if your game triggers that it requires it, even if you don't need to actually use it, or if you can actually navigate around without it. It's essentially redundant.

CBHC can autoboot homebrew launcher without the gamepad anyways you need the gamepad to set it up.
but once it works you wont need the gamepad anymore
Is this confirmed? I'd hate to try this, disassociate my gamepad from my console and then find out I've now bricked myself because when my console boots up, it boots the exploit and if it requires or looks for a gamepad, it won't proceed.

Maybe I could suggest you to test this build of Mocha 0.2? : http://gamerzcorp.org/tempo/private/mocha_auto/mocha.elf
It's a fork of the official Mocha except that it will auto-launch itself using default options (Sigpatch, etc). It can be used throught Mocha CFW's automation option on the gate (loadiine.ovh).

Usually Mocha's splashscreen appears on the Gamepad while launching, so to see if it has worked well for you, try to run a program needing a sigpatch.
This is the Mocha I'm using, but until now, I had no way to kick it off. I have the skip enabled. We'll see if it still complains about no gamepad. My money is on it will complain even though it's not going to use it.

ddurdle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
loadiine.ovh now supports Mocha CFW as an automatic choice.
Just open loadiine.ovh in your wii u's web browser, exit the browser, open it again, choose Mocha CFW and activate the permanent option (or something like that, I don't remember what was called) and start Mocha CFW, now everytime you start your browser you'll start Mocha CFW without the need for a Gamepad :yayu:

Just tested. Doesn't work. When it tries to kick off Mocha, you get a dialog advising from this point on you need gamepad and you have an ok or a cancel. OK just brings up the same dialog repeatedly. Cancel looks like it will work but then it drops you to an error "FSGetMountSource failed"

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I wonder, is there somekind of software limitations in HBL/Haxchi to allow full Wii U ProController menu navigation? or it's just developer choice?

ddurdle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why not just edit the meta.xml of the DS VC to remove the gamepad limitation?
This should work
Code:
<drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">1</drc_use>
I wanted to report back this WORKED. When I made the change, the gamepad error went away.

I modified my config.txt for Hachi to load sig patched SYSNAND by default, mocha if I hit A, and homebew laucher if I hit B. A and B will require gamepad (get the error when they kick off, as expected)

I'm now able to do what I set out to do. Play a game on signature patched SYSNAND game without gamepad.

Reactions: JoshuaTLOZ

Hikari06

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I wanted to report back this WORKED. When I made the change, the gamepad error went away.

I modified my config.txt for Hachi to load sig patched SYSNAND by default, mocha if I hit A, and homebew laucher if I hit B. A and B will require gamepad (get the error when they kick off, as expected)

I'm now able to do what I set out to do. Play a game on signature patched SYSNAND game without gamepad.
Awesome, thanks for reporting back :)

Dogbert8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just edit the meta.xml of the DS VC to remove the gamepad limitation?
This should work
Code:
<drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">1</drc_use>

Thanks for reporting that to us. Could you (or anyone) walk me through what it takes to edit the meta.xml of an installed channel? Editing a meta.xml file on my PC is easy, but how can I dump that file and then put the revised file back?

ddurdle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for reporting that to us. Could you (or anyone) walk me through what it takes to edit the meta.xml of an installed channel? Editing a meta.xml file on my PC is easy, but how can I dump that file and then put the revised file back?
You need to use FTP Everywhere to navigate to the file and download, edit, and upload it. I'll post my specific location of the file as a reference when I get to my Wii U.

victorhidalgo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Congratulations it is impresate, I have no idea at this moment how to make it work in my wiiu the gamepad has the X key pressed and when I start the Homebrew Launcher returns to mii maker and if I enter mii maker with wii control requests the gamepad.

Over time if wiiu still need the gamepad will disappear because we will not find replacement.

But this is a good idea that will help others even though you can not put it into practice.

Dogbert8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to use FTP Everywhere to navigate to the file and download, edit, and upload it. I'll post my specific location of the file as a reference when I get to my Wii U.
Awesome. Thanks!

I found the right file here:
/storage_mlc/usr/title/00050000/10179b00/meta/

My system kept freezing when I made the edit and tried launching Haxchi, but I think that was because I depressed or repressed the button too long and triggered a non-sysmenu launch. As a precaution, I set both default and A to launch the system menu via Haxchi. It eventually worked and I will test more later.

Last edited by Dogbert8,

ddurdle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Awesome. Thanks!

I found the right file here:
/storage_mlc/usr/title/00050000/10179b00/meta/

My system kept freezing when I made the edit and tried launching Haxchi, but I think that was because I depressed or repressed the button too long and triggered a non-sysmenu launch. As a precaution, I set both default and A to launch the system menu via Haxchi. It eventually worked and I will test more later.
I find the button pressing problematic too. Don't know exactly when I should press it, so I sometimes either hold it or rapidly press it, but either case is hit or miss. I leave the default to sysnand. At this point, if I could add Mocha as a channel, I can leave Haxchi just to load the sig patched SYSNAND and use channel icons for launching homebrew launcher and mocha, etc.

Congratulations it is impresate, I have no idea at this moment how to make it work in my wiiu the gamepad has the X key pressed and when I start the Homebrew Launcher returns to mii maker and if I enter mii maker with wii control requests the gamepad.

Over time if wiiu still need the gamepad will disappear because we will not find replacement.

But this is a good idea that will help others even though you can not put it into practice.

You could open up the gamepad and remove the X button. Might be a start.

There is an emulation of gamepad on linux (using python) but it is complicated to setup right now, and requires to dedicate a wifi hotspot connection to it (which requires a particular type of compatible wifi adapter). Long term, I'm hoping more community homebrew around overriding gamepad requirements and more use of pro controller use.

victorhidalgo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've already tried that and it looks like it's the gamepad software or board.

I tried it connected to Windows with the IP and even without button continued pressed.

Please inform me more of that emulator also I am usuary of Linux with Ubuntu, the name or where to be able to find information.

ddurdle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    both of which work well in potplayer
    amd is a bit cheaper though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow