A method to load fw.img or mocha CFW without gamepad?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by ddurdle, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ddurdle
    OP

ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Canada
    Is there a method to load fw.img or mocha CFW without gamepad?

Haxchi requires a gamepad. Homebrew Launcher UI is through the gamepad only.

A web browser exploit to invoke Mocha CFW or CFW booter (fw.img) would be good.

UPDATED!

Here is a working solution care of the multiple submissions by users in this thread.

First off, if you haven't setup Haxchi yet, do yourself a favour and when you do install it, make sure the button "a" action in the config.txt file is set to sysmenu. Open the config.txt on the SD card, edit the file and ensure first line is a=sysmenu. If you already have Haxchi installed, don't worry, we will edit the config.txt file that is installed.

You need a gamepad initially to get things going, such as get Haxchi installed, invoking Haxchi to get into a CFW that will provide access to FTP Everywhere (full access to filesystem).

After you install Haxchi against the DS VC title, you will want to locate the install and modify the compatibility of the game to not require the gamepad. This will avoid the "you must have your gamepad turned on" error when invoking Haxchi.

You need to edit the game's meta.xml. One way is as follows:

You will need to locate the meta.xml file for the DS VC game using FTP Everywhere
    /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/meta/meta.xml

Download the file using an FTP explorer on your computer and locate and update the following line to the value indicated.
    <drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">1</drc_use>

Reupload the file to the same location on the SYSNAND.

If you know that you haven't set button a's config to launch sysmenu when you installed Haxchi, go ahead now and locate the config.txt file on SYSNAND using your computer's FTP program while connected to FTP Everywhere. It'll be in the same path, but content directory, such as /vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/content/config.txt

Download the file, validate the first line assigned a=sysmenu. If it doesn't update it and replace the config.txt on the SYSNAND with the file.

THAT'S IT.

When you invoke Haxchi from any controller (wii remote, wii u pro controller, gamepad, etc) WHILE A GAMEPAD IS IN RANGE AND ON, the default execution behaviour will be whatever default= is set in the config.txt file used at Haxchi install time (the version of the file on SYSNAND). WHILE THERE IS NO GAMEPAD IN RANGE (no gamepad on), the default behaviour will be button a=, not whatever you have set for default=.

Booting to sysmenu doesn't require the gamepad. If you set the button a to another boot option, such as loading mocha, hbl, etc, these tools require gamepad, and you will be greeted with a prompt to turn the gamepad on to continue.

Booting to sysmenu will provide you a Haxchi signature patched SYSNAND homescreen where you can start your software that requires the signature patching -- all without requiring a gamepad.

Last edited by ddurdle, Feb 5, 2017
    dashkiller likes this.

2. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    HBL can be used without the Gamepad with the Wii Remote...

3. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You can't boot hbl without gamepad (Haxchi needs gamepad as ds vc, browser exploit need gamepad because mii maker injecting)

AboodXD likes this.
  4. ddurdle
    OP

ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Canada
    Precisely.

I guess we need to wait for something that can be installed directly to the home screen that isn't Haxchi (like USB Installer can).

5. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    HBL Channel?

6. ddurdle
    OP

ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Canada
    Yes, but naturally you need to be in a signed CFW so you still have a problem getting to that without a gamepad, but once you are in, you can get into the channel version of HBL without a gamepad.

7. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Probably the simplest thing that would achieve this is an exploit in a game/application that does not require the gamepad. Currently no such exploit exists. (And those exploits still aren't easy).

8. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Yes just setup ColdbootHaxchi and set it to auto on fw.img or mocha on the menu, it will then boot without the need of anything, sd card included, just press your home button or the power button on your wiiu console and enjoy :) it will also boot system nand and lots of other fancy apps on bootup!
    depending on what you have selected. Shall I record a video now for you to show, I suppose it is a Saturday?

Last edited by Reecey, Jan 21, 2017
    kumikochan likes this.
  9. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH AN ANGRY GIRAFFE!

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    loadiine.ovh now supports Mocha CFW as an automatic choice.
    Just open loadiine.ovh in your wii u's web browser, exit the browser, open it again, choose Mocha CFW and activate the permanent option (or something like that, I don't remember what was called) and start Mocha CFW, now everytime you start your browser you'll start Mocha CFW without the need for a Gamepad :yayu:

Last edited by THEELEMENTKH, Jan 21, 2017
  10. victormr21

victormr21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    I'm having the same problem, I won't have the GamePad for a long time and I tried to load the fw.img through Loadiine.ovh (you can do it with a little trick) but then the console asked me for the GamePad, I cancelled and an obviously error appeared.
    HaxChi needs GamePad, MiiMaker need it too... We can modify the MiiMaker's meta.xml and put the gamepad value as compatible but no required, but we can do it only in a patched firmware so... We are at the same situation....
    Yeah, this is the only possible, but it's very hard to find one, there aren't many developers working on Wii U, they are waiting to Switch, Nintendo confirmed TLOZ is the final Wii U game...
    3DS has a lot, developers (I think they are Smea and Yellows8) released one a few weeks ago in the 33C3. But Wii U is Wii U....
    Bye and sorry for "shit posting" and no solutions!

11. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    Is the WiiU pretty not much redundant anyway without the main controller or a controller full stop? you do need them and if your using Wii controllers you could always just use those to select the menu on boot up and guess the selection menu, I'm sure you will pick the correct one eventually on boot up, just keep trying until you do.

Last edited by Reecey, Jan 21, 2017
  12. Cybernatus

Cybernatus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2016
    Belgium
    Maybe I could suggest you to test this build of Mocha 0.2? : http://gamerzcorp.org/tempo/private/mocha_auto/mocha.elf
    It's a fork of the official Mocha except that it will auto-launch itself using default options (Sigpatch, etc). It can be used throught Mocha CFW's automation option on the gate (loadiine.ovh).

Usually Mocha's splashscreen appears on the Gamepad while launching, so to see if it has worked well for you, try to run a program needing a sigpatch.

13. rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Italy
    You could do that by porting the iosu exploit to use the browser instead of launching trough HBL
    I think that hexkyz implementation of the exploit should do that (boot a fw.img from sd from the browser)

EDIT: Also, maybe mocha could be launched by injecting in a different application using this: https://github.com/rw-r-r-0644/HBAS-Portable but I'm not sure how you would inject in a different application...

Last edited by rw-r-r_0644, Jan 21, 2017
  14. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    My gamepad is broken. So I can't load exploits period; luckily I installed the Homebrew Channel on vWii.

15. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    So no Frappuccino CFW?

16. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    Now that you mention it, that's a big issue. I can't test the .elf out. Until I get a new Gamepad that is.

17. Hikari06

Hikari06 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2012
    France
    Why not just edit the meta.xml of the DS VC to remove the gamepad limitation?
    This should work
    Code:
    <drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">1</drc_use>

Last edited by Hikari06, Jan 21, 2017
    krueger96 and Reecey like this.
  18. lebrawurschd

lebrawurschd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    CBHC can autoboot homebrew launcher without the gamepad anyways you need the gamepad to set it up.
    but once it works you wont need the gamepad anymore

19. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    Is that actually possible and does it work? that's interesting I never had thought about this idea. So what actual part was you changing in the meta file to show the functions on the tv. Did you just add that line or a string to the meta folder?

20. victormr21

victormr21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    It exist in all meta files, I don't know very well the values and his meanings but the possible values are: 0, 1, 2 and 65513 (or similar) zero is for Incompatible, other for required, other for compatible but not required and other is for compatible with GamePad VC games....
    EDIT: And a curiosity for developers:
    Can we add a new string "because yes" or we have to edit something in somewhere on the console?
    I say this because if you do a meta.xml with a Nintendo Developer Tool it shows a lot more strings that normal meta.xml....

Last edited by victormr21, Jan 21, 2017