A look at nx-hbmenu's upcoming features: favourite NROs, netstatus icon, external NACPs

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jul 10, 2019.

Front-page
    icon.

It's been a good while since nx-hbmenu has seen a new official release, more than seven months to be exact, but that doesn't mean its devs haven't been working on new things to add during this whole time! There are a few upcoming features you as an end-user may be interested in, including one that has been merged very recently into the repo, so keep on reading if you would like to have a sneak peek on what's about to come.

First off, we have a simple yet useful addition by yellows8: a small icon showing the console's network connection status is now shown in the top-right corner of the screen, alongside the clock and battery icon/percentage. This will be useful to anyone who likes to use network-enabled homebrew (like RetroArch, BackupNX and your favourite title installers to name a few) as you will no longer have to open the quick settings screen or go back to the HOME menu to check if you're connected! The icon will also show whether you're using Wi-Fi, an Ethernet adapter or if you have Airplane Mode on and will change based on the current signal strength if you're connected to a wireless network. Another new feature made by the same author is external NACP loading, which may be useful to more experienced users. NACP is a format quite similar to the 3DS' SMDH (minus the image data) and it contains several bits of metadata about the specified application, such as the title in various languages, screenshot/video capture permissions, various attributes and so on. Why you may be interested in this, you ask? hbmenu already supports loading external JPEGs as application icons so, by using both features together, you'll be able to customize how an icon shows up in the menu without recompiling it first!

And now, here's another really interesting one. Thanks to @hippy dave's contribution, you can now star individual entries and add them to your favourites! You can add a star to both apps and folders by either pressing X on your controller or tapping the related icon on the screen. Favourited entries will always appear first in the list, which can be very useful while browsing your homebrew collection! For example, you could use it to highlight your most used apps, differentiate between stable and unstable builds of various homebrew or even allow quick access to the "switch" directory on the root of your card in case you accidentally back out of it.

2019071021535400-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8. 2019071021540600-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.

Can't wait for the next release? Don't worry, not only all of these changes have been pushed to nx-hbmenu's GitHub repo, but @hippy dave has also shared a precompiled build updated to the latest commit at the time of writing (check his thread linked below). Just place hbmenu.nro on the root of your microSD card, then launch it with your preferred method on your console (eg. by holding R while opening an application or the Album on Atmosphère/ReiNX). That's it!

Are you excited about these features? Do you have suggestions for a new one? Feel free to write your thoughts in the comments below!

:arrow: Source 1 (nx-hbmenu's GitHub repo)
    :arrow: Source 2 (hippy dave's thread)

fst312, SaffronXL, Zukov and 14 others like this.
    Discussion (18 replies)
  1. XorTroll

XorTroll Dev: Goldleaf, emuiibo, Brew.js...

Dec 28, 2017
    Spain
    Nowhere
    Ah cool, an application like the most relevant homebrew should have some QoL features like this.

2. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    I like this.

NoNAND and hippy dave like this.
  3. Goffrier

Goffrier GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    first

hippy dave likes this.
  4. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    ...ish

5. Goffrier

Goffrier GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    noone said first before so im the first one to say it

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

therefore im the first

hippy dave likes this.
  6. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Favourites menu will be very welcome addition.

Zukov and hippy dave like this.
  7. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    Is there a legal reason that the homebrew launcher can't come in a .NSP? It's more convenient and is a straight upgrade in every way, but they never come with official releases.

8. NoNAND

NoNAND Just a GBAtemper thriving in his natural habitat

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    DinohScene's Discord Server
    Keeping the WiFi signal status always updated is a good a nice feature.
    I don't have to exit hbmenu to check my network settings to confirm whether it's connected to the internet or not.
    thanks. @hippy dave for your hard work.

hippy dave likes this.
  9. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    That bit isn't my work, I just did the starred favourites. Glad you're enjoying the new build tho :)

NoNAND likes this.
  10. NoNAND

NoNAND Just a GBAtemper thriving in his natural habitat

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    DinohScene's Discord Server
    Starred favorites will help me pick up the homebrew I use the most without having to scroll all till the end of the list to launch my desired app.
    I'll download it once I head some.

hippy dave likes this.
  11. Zukov

Zukov Dinosaur

Oct 2, 2016
    Chile
    Do you live in 2018? We use title replacement for that.

12. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere See i would put something here if i knew what to

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    HBMenu's dev's don't support piracy
    So sig patches are meant for piracy
    That's why no nsp is in included

13. Goffrier

Goffrier GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    sigpatches are for piracy excuse me what

sigpatches are not designed for piracy it does enable it but its not the primary goal of them

14. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere See i would put something here if i knew what to

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Tell me then
    What is the primary goal of sig patches?

15. Goffrier

Goffrier GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    to bring homebrews on your home menu

and if NSP's were for piracy then why atmosphere uses that format for their system modules

16. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    Because they decided to name their modules .nsp files after the nspwn exploit that was patched. They totally didn't do it to cause confusion with actual install-able nsps.

17. Goffrier

Goffrier GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
  18. friedkeenan

friedkeenan Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2018
    United States
    They ask FS to mount the PFS0's, but FS will only mount them if their extension is nsp

XorTroll likes this.