A long introduction...

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Welcome, everyone. A lot of people may know me as "Marky Vigoroth" on deviantArt or "Caleb Cerron" on FurAffinity. I have been glimpsing at this site for about a year, yet I really started to read the forums and all when my brothers got their flashcards. Now I visit the site daily and make GBAtemp my top resource for flashcards!

My brothers have R4Ultras, but now they have an AceKard2i and a Supercard DSOnei, respectively. I borrowed one of my brother's R4Ultras to keep me entertained until I get an EZFlashVi, though I also have an EZFlashIV. Currenty, both of my brothers has a DSiXL and a PSP, one of them has a GBASP, and I have a Gameboy Micro with a DS Nitro. We also have a DSLite with a broken hinge around (good for getting past the intro in The World Ends With You!). (Actually, I temporarily traded my DSiXL for the DSLite, since the R4Ultra will not work with the DSiXL, and my brother had trouble drawing the video game characters from the smaller screens. Since the microphone does not work on the DSLite, I bought a rather good DS Nitro for $30 off a neighbor. My brother and I shall trade back the DS Nitro for the DSiXL when I get an EZFlash Vi. I might also get my other brother's PSP if I manage to win an MP3 player in an arcade game...

By the way, they are actually all right with the trades. My brother actually liked the DS Nitro, and my other brother is rather desperate for that player and is even willing to trade the PSP for the player.)

I also have a Backloggery (still in the middle of an update, unfortunately): http://backloggery.com/markyvigoroth

I should warn you, though. I try to be polite and write with excellent spelling and grammar, yet I can be... immature. ...VERY iimature. Think of a extremely immature person of which you have heard on the Internet, and there is a probability of me acting like that person... (I already have someone in mind, yet I am too embarassed to say... You can probably guess who he is, though...
If you want a hint... this guy got parody and satire all mixed up!)

To end this, let me see if I got the "Unwritten Rules of GBAtemp" right...

1) Piracy is tolerated and accepted, but not approved. You can talk about ROMS, and GBATemp shall provide you with patches (in due time), but the only rom sites that you are allowed to mention are this and that (as well as others like these). To quote Axel from KIngdom Hearts II, "Got it memorized?"

2) Be patient when waiting for patches. You semi-literally are getting releases yesterday (that is, days before the official release date), so be appreciative that the ROM is even out! Lately, anti-piracy measures have become harder to patch (think Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story or Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver), but they know that you want to play the ROM. (After all, they also want to play the game, as well!) You do not have to go out to buy the game yourself; you just have to be patient. Besides, at this point of the scene, there are plenty of other ROMs that you can play (and most of them have already been fixed!), and there are lots of others things in the world than just ROMs, so you do not have an excuse.

3) At this state, generally, R4 technically stands for "Real Death(1)". Back then, the R4 was a star product, combining compatibility with affordable price. However, Nintendo shut down the main company, and the widespread popularity of the R4 spured TONS of imitations, most of them pooie, unfortunately, thus leading R4 cards into mostly-deserved notoriety. In fact, you can get a reasonable idea of a person by the flashcard the person is playing: if the flashcard has "R4" in any part of its name (even if the card is called "R4SDXC 3DS DSiXL GBA GOLD PLATIMIUM JADE ULTRA GIGA COMPATIBILITY AVATAR NARUTO TWILIGHT DESU"), that person is most likely not knowledgeable in the DS Scene.

Of course, aside from economic reasons (could not invest into a better flashcard; switching flashcards would be too much trouble) or development reasons (If a homebrew program works on a bad card, the program should work on better cards.), there is a chance that the person bought a FAITHFUL imitation of the R4, which itself is getting more support due to Mr. Yellow Wood Goblin's "Wood" firmware. (The only problems are that, since the original R4 does not have SDHC or DSi support, their faithful imitations, by requirement, do not have them either.)

4) Of course, if you are stuck with a non-faithful flashcard or just prefer remaining with YSMenu, that is fine, but please respect Mr. Yasu's wishes. He prefers not to have others make derivative works of his projects, which include pre-compiled YS Menu firmwares. I can only assume good faith for his decisions, especially since I have seen others with similar ("Download this program only from this page/site!") policies. Besides, considering all of the hard work he has done for you and the excellency YSMenu has served for R4 users everywhere, can you not comply with him with at least just this one wish?(2)

5) Of course, there are several ways to play GBA ROMs in your Nintendo DS Flashcard. They include:
[*]Use a GBA flashcard (They act just like a regular Flashcard, so you can use them in GBA systems, thus allowing you to play multiplayer, but you can not use them in any system newer than a DSi, and you would need another memory card to store the GBA ROMs! Also, very few are being sold.)
[*]Write a GBA emulator for DS (This may be obvious, but that would require writing a nosebleedingly difficult program to be able to convert the graphics, so no one wants to mess with this idea. You can not play GBA ROMs on a GBA this way, anyways.)
[*]Write a GBA emulator for DSi (Although the higher RAM will eliminate the need for the image converter, no one has publicly cracked DSi mode yet, and then, you could not play the ROMs in anything older than a DSi.)
[*]Use an EZ Flash 3-in-1 piece of hardware (The best one, that is, the one I mentioned, is an excellent fit for DS Lites and can also act as extra RAM or Rumble support, but you will need an adapter to play this on DS Nitro systems, and this solution does not work on any other system.)
[*]Buy an IPlayer (The on-board RAM allows for making an appropiate emulator, but you can not play DS ROMs due to the IPlayer being a video player, and you still can not play on a GBA.)
[*]Buy a SuperCard DS-Two (Being a "proper" flashcard itself plus having the on-board RAM necessary for the GBA emulator makes this one of the best opitons, but, not only you still can not play GBA games on a GBA system, and there have been reports of energy consumption being higher when using the emulator.)

6) Do you want to know just where are the patches you need? Do you wonder what happened to the old GBA flashcards? Need help on getting Arceus? Have you just happened to watch Maisy and are STILL having trouble with spelling the name ofthat squirrel?

Gugure kasu (or, as I prefer, Gugurimasu)(3)

Tons of people may have already asked that same question, and you may only need to search the forums for such. If not, then use Google directly. After all, GBAtemp is not the only site that talks about your gaming needs! Make sure that you just keep on searching and researching and only post if you are sure that your topic needs merit.

Even so, if you do decide to post a topic to ask, please pay attention to your composition, maturity, and politeness. Other members will not want to bother with someone who does not seem to know about the subject at hand.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
(1) = This is a pun with Kanji. The Nipponese number for "four" can be pronounced as "shi," which is the same pronounciation for the Kanji for "death."

(2) = I know about what happens when you dishonour his wish, so to speak; I was just trying a different approach.

(3) = They both essentially mean the same thing, just with different forms of politeness.
"Gugure kasu" = "GOOGLE IT YA NOOB!!!"
"Gugurimasu" = "Please use Google."

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Code:
[spoiler]Spoiler'd[/spoiler]
Spoiler'd
Use spoiler tags for collapsing large blocks of text if you want. We can't use spoiler-in-spoilers though.
smile.gif

Also, great introduction, and you're the second new person I've seen today that has read the rules. We could do with more like you.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
Code:
[spoiler]Spoiler'd[/spoiler]
Spoiler'd
Use spoiler tags for collapsing large blocks of text if you want. We can't use spoiler-in-spoilers though.
smile.gif

Also, great introduction, and you're the second new person I've seen today that has read the rules. We could do with more like you.
Ugh! I knew that should have used a spoiler tag, but the text could not be hidden in the preview, and the BB Code Help did not mention the tag!

However, I was actually rather nervous when I went to read the replies.

(Now if only someone can upload the unwritten rules to avoid more ulcers on the part of the more well-read members...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Hi

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended