Homebrew A little Idea that I want a reality check on: A Custom Swapnote Server.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 4,006
  • Replies 24
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted User

OP
I Know that this MIGHT Sound Stupid, but its a little Idea I had for awhile now and I like to see if its even possible...

I wonder if its possible to make a Custom Swapnote server via a server that acts like the actual Official Swapnote server but its mostly just sending the Swapnote data to the 3DS That the Creator of the Note Wants it to go to.

I Know there are hurdles such as, The Friend list Probably having a own server (Most Likely) to store data.
Then theres the authorization, But I don't know if Swapnote asks for it, as I haven't seen the netcode of the app. (a.k.a I don't know how to view the coding in the files in my dump of my Swapnotes romfs.)

There Might be other hurdles That I don't know about, but again This is just a idea I had. Probably there are a few other dozen people who have made this sorta thread, But I really don't know if this has been ask many times before with the ideas for the custom server.

Sure, I may have Glossed over alot of things. But still, With the Homebrew we have now, Im Quite Surprised that nobody has done this yet. But its probably because of lack of dumps, not many people want it, etc.

Again, Its an Idea I wanted a Reality check on a idea for that I hope would be possible via Homebrew.

(And if this is on the wrong thread, Can It be moved to the Correct Thread, please?)

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this and or response of if its possible or not.

-Coolnez

...Please don't hate me for making this thread, I don't want argument or anything Bad to happen, And if its not needed, do as use must and delete this thread.

Dylan the Tactician

Trophies
Website
plus.google.com
XP
Country
United States
1. No one should get mad for curiosity, it's a part of human nature
2. Someone would have to pay for said server
3. To do this, you'd have to mod the swapnote rom so that it connects to the server that some-person is paying for rather than the nintendo server.
I'm sure there's some things i'm missing, but i think i've made the majority of my point

Alan Treecko

GBATemp's official fanfiction disposer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait isnt when it says that "spotpass is disabled" crap isnt that saved to the save data?
and also it would kinda be useless as you'll have to look EXTRA hard for people to use it with

D

Deleted User

OP
1. No one should get mad for curiosity, it's a part of human nature
2. Someone would have to pay for said server
3. To do this, you'd have to mod the swapnote rom so that it connects to the server that some-person is paying for rather than the nintendo server.
I'm sure there's some things i'm missing, but i think i've made the majority of my point

Alright, I guess I got my answer.

And yes, Im a bit nervous when I try to express and Idea I have on these forums. Its just a problem I have with myself.

anyways, thanks for the answer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

wait isnt when it says that "spotpass is disabled" crap isnt that saved to the save data?
and also it would kinda be useless as you'll have to look EXTRA hard for people to use it with

Yea, Finding people to use a custom swapnote server would be hard.

And I really don't know about the disabled part being saved to your save data. Oh we'll, probably will never find out how it's done.

Dylan the Tactician

Trophies
Website
plus.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I guess I got my answer.

And yes, Im a bit nervous when I try to express and Idea I have on these forums. Its just a problem I have with myself.

anyways, thanks for the answer.

Yea, Finding people to use a custom swapnote server would be hard.

And I really don't know about the disabled part being saved to your save data. Oh we'll, probably will never find out how it's done.
there's a difference between figuring out and reverse engineering

Chakratos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Part 1 would be as already mentioned to change the rom to connect to your server/PC.

Part 2 would be sniffing the connection to see what the app wants.

The Problem with part 2 is, the packets aren't human readable. So anything after then would be speculations.

But yes, it would be possible to reverse engineer a server with only the Client.

It is very hard tho. (If you had the source of swapnote it would be significantly easier)

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Part 1 would be as already mentioned to change the rom to connect to your server/PC.

Part 2 would be sniffing the connection to see what the app wants.

The Problem with part 2 is, the packets aren't human readable. So anything after then would be speculations.

But yes, it would be possible to reverse engineer a server with only the Client.

It is very hard tho. (If you had the source of swapnote it would be significantly easier)
^
Read this post.
Possible, but very hard. I wouldnt say that it's possible with the client only. Reproducing the server side without knowing the server side is in my opinion unrealistic. Wireshark and a Mim attack is the way to go IF no certificate is involved.
If the connection is secure then you won't be able to reproduce the packets. You would need to hack out the secure connection and guess what the ROM wants.

Last edited by GothicIII,

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
Ever heard of Sudomemo and Sudofox?
Sudomemo is a custom server made for Flipnote Studio as a Flipnote Hatena replacement, much like Wiimmfi and AltWFC as a Nintendo WFC replacement

Flipnote Studio is very similar by the fact that both involve writing or drawing notes or animations, which are then uploaded/sent

It would most likely come through, but would take a while to see how the drawings are sent, which might be harder to do since we can't experiment on the official servers

Last edited by Gamer4647,
Reactions: jsa

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
D

Deleted User

OP
Huh okay, Guess I Can Understand What goes into this kind of stuff. Guess Its really hard to the point where It would require a team. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Thanks For The Answers Guys!

It probably checks for SSL certs heh

It would be easier to create a Homebrew clone than to reverse engineer shit and rewrite the server side

...tbh, That Actually sound like a Great Idea to make a Homebrew Version!

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
...tbh, That Actually sound like a Great Idea to make a Homebrew Version!
Yeah

Also, the homebrew probably won't need annoying FCs so it'll be much easier to send messages, and less punishing for trying to find people to play with if that's your thing (*cough* Miiverse *cough*)

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
This is actuality a pretty cool idea but the pain you would have to go through to get it working not worth it in my opinion.
Well, people have actually went through the pain already 3 times for Sudofox, AltWFC and Wiimmfi
Who knows? :P

D

Deleted User

OP
Well, people have actually went through the pain already 3 times for Sudofox, AltWFC and Wiimmfi
Who knows? :P

The pain of Wiimmfi Team is insane. They even Started implementing GPCM in C in 2015! (However they paused development of that for some reason.)

Yeah

Also, the homebrew probably won't need annoying FCs so it'll be much easier to send messages, and less punishing for trying to find people to play with if that's your thing (*cough* Miiverse *cough*)

Tbh Yea. But I liked the doodling Aspect of Swapnote. I dunno why, but I just really like it!

VeniaSilente

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
While I am not all that knowledgeable on the subject:

Would modifitcation of the ROM be absolutely necessary? I'm thinking that depending on how Swapnote connects to its server, it would be just as easy as setting up a custom DNS in Wifi settings, not much unlike eg.: ye good olde tubehax.

Other than that, while I think the idea of trying to revive Swapnote would be incredibly nice, I also think that it would be much more effort and much more wasted time for gradually diminishing return than trying to implement a custom service from scratch, something like 3dstext which already exists.

D

Deleted User

OP
Swapnote uses BOSS signatures and SpotPass. Patching it can occur but it'd be more effort than just making a small homebrew that can control the LED and such

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.