1. Rokon2

OP Rokon2 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Reading the sticky, it says that I would have to wait for a point where non-hardmod versions of preparation were ready for versions 4.1.0 and 5.0.0, but there's videos out on YouTube of versions up to 5.0.2 being properly set up. Few questions:

- Is there any reason to update to 5.0.2?
    - I'm currently at 5.0.0, should I remain here?
    - Which threads should I be looking at if I wanted to set up CFW for 5.0.0?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Rokon2, May 18, 2018
  2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    At the moment, there is no advantage of being on 5.0 as opposed to 5.0.2. If you want to play online, buy something on the eShop, or update a game, you will not lose out on any future exploits (if you're willing to do a minor hardmod). That being said, there may be something in the future that is discovered which may alleviate the need for the hardmod and may only be found in 5.0 and below, but that's just speculation. Lower firmwares by definition carry more exploits than higher ones, but the differences between 5.0 and 5.0.2 are minimal. So, the decision to update is all yours.

As for the CFW, this is the thread you would follow: https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosphere-nx-custom-firmware-in-development-by-sciresm.496832/ More specifically, you can follow the github page that is in the first post to see it being coded in real-time. At the moment, to eventually set up CFW, you will need a few things. You're going to need at least a 64 GB SD card as you will be making an EmuNAND partition on it and the NAND itself is around 32 GB. Using a 32 GB SD card would leave you room for nothing else. You will also need a USB C to A cable to connect the Switch to a computer. Lastly, you will need something to enter the Switch's RCM. This is done by shorting pin 10 on the Switch's right hand rail. You can do this with a pre-printed jig, some loose wire, or even a paperclip!

3. Rokon2

OP Rokon2 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Fantastic to hear. Now, when you say hardmod, you don't mean the typical definition of opening up and soldering something yes? Are we using hardmod in the sense of the paperclip trick on the right joycon slot?

4. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Japan
    Yes, the paperclip/3D jig thing. This is firmware agnostic and will always work.

There's no real need to stay on 5.0. Older firmwares like 4.1 are a different story because they will get a software exploit eventually, but 5.0 and 5.0.2 are in the same boat of no known software exploit.

5. Rokon2

OP Rokon2 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Alrightie then, that really clears things up for me. I very much appreciate the information; I think I'll just jump to 5.0.2 and let the chips fall where they may.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - firmwares, confused, updates