A little Christmas story

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by mthrnite, Dec 24, 2006.

Dec 24, 2006

A little Christmas story by mthrnite at 4:22 AM (1,936 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. mthrnite
    OP

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Well guys and gals, it's almost Christmas. It's time for a little Christmas story.

As some of you know, I'm an atheist. I used to be a Christian a long time ago, but I found I could not pray and feel like I was talking to anyone but myself, so I finally came to terms with being a man without a God. It was difficult, believe me, it's hard to give up on the notion of life after death and a benevolent deity watching and helping with my life. I'm good with that notion now though, I find my security in other places. I still live by the words of Jesus, but also of Buddha, Carl Sagan, Benjamin Franklin and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Profound truths are never tied to one person alone.

I had also left the dogma of the church behind. I didn't celebrate the religious holidays, except by getting together with family so I could see and be with everyone in one place. I didn't buy toys for my kids on Christmas or get them Easter baskets at Easter. My wife, a Wiccan didn't either. So, no tree, no presents, except at other peoples houses.

Well, this past year I started to reconsider Christmas, because it started being important to my four year old, who was all about the Santa Claus. I decided we would get a tree, and while we'd forgo the religious aspect, celebrate the holiday in what is around these parts, a standard way.

Around November though, things started going very wrong. My wife told me she was leaving me, and steadily became more and more hostile towards me to the point of legally questioning my worthiness as a father. I've been a stay at home dad since my kids were born, and didn't have a job. Without getting into too many details, suffice it to say, she left me emotionally and fiscally bankrupt. I have a roof over my head, but that's about it right now. I'm broke.

However, things started happening that gave me a reason to keep going. My dad came to my aid and helped me hire a lawyer, so my kids wouldn't be taken away. My neighbors next door started coming over every day with food and money to help me get by. They even bought me a little Christmas tree and some lights and ornaments. My kids helped me decorate it. It's tiny, but very special. Also, I had $50.00 tucked away to buy presents, but it was looking like I'd have to spend some of it before Christmas. I knew I'd have enough to get them some Hot Wheel cars and some books, but it wouldn't be a big Christmas here.

The past week has been fairly miserable. My kids are with their mother until Christmas day when they come back to me for a week. I miss them terribly. I've been very, very low. My good neighbors are out of town for Christmas, and most of my friends have been very busy, so I've been pretty much in the house by myself.

Today, there was a knock on my door. It startled me. When I went to the door, there stood my dentist. Yes, my dentist. I had told him of my plight the last time I had to go see him. He said "Merry Christmas" and handed me an envelope, then said he was on errands and couldn't stay. I thanked him for the Christmas card, and he left quickly. When I opened it up, it was indeed a nice card, but also inside was a hundred dollar bill. I started to cry, hell I'm crying now. The sweetness was and is.. just beyond me.

I called a good friend to tell him about it, and he said "Well, let's go to the toy store and buy your kids some presents!" So, we went to the store and got a bunch of cool toys for my boys. At the counter I had a coupon for 20% off any one item. I asked the clerk to apply it to the most expensive one and he said "Why don't I just apply it to the total purchase, is that ok?" I said of course and thank you. When it was all rung up, it totaled $170,00. I started to take out my wallet, knowing I'd have to ask my friend to advance me the money to cover what I didn't have. My friend said "Put your money back, I've got this." He paid for the whole thing. He told me to keep my money for groceries. I was without words... a rarity for me. I just couldn't talk.

When we got into the car I thanked him and tried to give him what money I had, but he wouldn't take it. He said "When you drop me off, plan on staying for dinner." When we got to his house his boyfriend had pork roast, green beens, salad and bread ready for dinner. It was more than delicious, and more than I had eaten all week. We ate and talked and my spirits lifted. It was very good.

When I got home, I decided I'd write all this down and share it with my friends.

I may have lost my faith in a deity, but especially after what people have been doing for me lately, and I'll include you good people here at GBAtemp in this, I will never, ever lose my faith in humanity.

I think this is what is meant by "the spirit of Christmas", and I'm good with it.

To all of you here, whatever your religion, creed or stripe, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being the good people that you are, and for doing your part in keeping my head above water through my trials and tribulations.

...and Merry Christmas.

Much love,
    mother

2. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    I didn't have religious faith until I was personally touched by the noodly appendage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

RAmen

3. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    beautiful story. good to know that there are some great hearts looking out for you out there.

Merry Christmas mthrnite

4. phuzzz

Former Staff phuzzz Hooha!

United States
    Christmas will bring out the worst of some, the best of others. It's good to hear you got great friends, even in your time of trouble.

5. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    They've been coming out of the woodwork...
    ..my dentist?

I'm just in awe.

Next thing you know, somebody who lives just 30 minutes away will invite me over to his house to play Wii... [​IMG]

..then I'll have to relent and start believing in something other than the spaghetti monster! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Seriously though, a lot of folks around here have been very kind, and a lot of fun when I needed some laughs.)

6. dafatkid27

Member dafatkid27 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Truly touching, mthrnite. I hope all goes well, and Merry Christmas! I hope you enjoy a nice and relaxing time with your kids, you deserve it.

7. GameJesus

Member GameJesus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    mther, i am sorry for all you've been through it must be really tough for you, especially this time of year, your story was just awe inspiring, it really made me think to myself despite all of the evil and hatred and war and violence that this world has to offer, it does still have some good left in it, you have wonderful friends that would stay with you til the end, i have some friends like that too, and i know how it feels, i would just like to say keep your chin up buddy and hopefully everything will clear up for you, i hope so you are truly a great person and never to cease helping people on here. I hope you have a happy and very special christmas, and i am sorry for what you've been through.

Your friend

~GameJesus O:-)

8. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Have a very good Christmas. Knowing that there a people out there who can help you out at what can often be the toughest time of the year is what reminds you that kindness does still exist.

9. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Sorry to hear about the divorce. I think God had something to do with that, thats just me( 13 year old Christian). MErry Christmas. My mother died last year, and my family, friends, and God help me through it. There is still good people in the world.

10. Akoji

Member Akoji +5 internets to psyfira for avatar.

Canada
    Well i wish you a merry christmas , and i know what you and your children feels , my parents divorced too , and it wasn't a really good news.

And im quite the same as you , i belive more in humans than in some mysterious invisible deity. Merry Christmas from a fellow atheist.

11. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    Sorry to hear about your mother JPH, mine died a little over a year ago too. I know how you must feel, I know how I felt anyway.
    There's no light without some dark to gauge it by. Pandora's box, good stuff, bad stuff, good stuff again.
    I hope you're holding up alright. Try to remember where you came from, and who you embody within you.

..and thanks you guys, I know I've got it better than a lot of folks. i keep a little fire in me and I know it'll be hard, but things will work out.
    I just wanted to share a little slice of goodness there, and wish you all a Merry Christmas.
    [​IMG]

12. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Thanks, that brightened up my holidays. I hope your kids enjoy Christmas.

13. GameJesus

Member GameJesus GBAtemp Regular

United States
  14. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I'm glad to see that things are getting better for you. Christmas is the season of miracles, and I'm glad we get to witness one here on GBAtemp. It's good to see that you have friends that care about you, but we already knew that from multiple posts and topics here on GBAtemp! Have a great Christmas and stay focused on all the good things that have happened recently!

15. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    ....I'am really Sorry mthrnite I wish I could help you :'( - sharing your feeling and words this the best Chistmas Gift for us
    I wish you and your Kids try to enjoy this year christmas as much as you can and be proud this coming new year went time change to make your wish.

Mthrnite:
    "A man with a strong heart, strong to fight the very edge to reach his destiny and happiest."

Merry Christmas! [​IMG]

16. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    I don't know if this will cheer you up, but just so you know, OrR sent me a Mothernite Mii a few days ago... So always remember, wherever you are, you're virtually spending the holidays on the French Riviera [​IMG]

Happiness is first and foremost a state of mind!

17. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I hope things work out for you, it's good to know people will support you, even when things look really bad.

- Sam

18. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    Lookout: You have helped me, and what's more you've given me my new motto, that was beautiful and I hope I can live up to it.

Hitto: Yes, being on the French Riviera, even virtually, does indeed cheer me up. I'll need the pictures to prove it though, think you could send me a postcard? [​IMG]

Everybody else: You better shag your butt to the store.. today's the last day to shop! And I'll post up a picture here of my kids being happy tomorrow, or maybe of them trying to wrest the bongos I got 'em away from their dad.

Bah-bah-loooooooooo![​IMG]

19. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Woop Woop to the bongos!

[​IMG]

- Sam

20. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    your kids will love there christmas [​IMG] im sure you can get through not feeling to good these days with what brillaint friends you have :-o and a dentist giving you money thats a shock [​IMG] and who knows you might bang into a nice woman. so cheer up m8 [​IMG]