A Korean wii with v3.2U Firmware!?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by takahashi69, Oct 1, 2009.

Oct 1, 2009
  1. takahashi69
    OP

Newcomer takahashi69 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi guys, long time reader first time poster.

I just recently jumped into buying myself a wii through my cousin. Before that I have read most of the guides here downloaded the good stuff to get the homebrew channel on my new wii. I finally got it & I found out a few things...

1. It's not a US wii like i thought, it's a Korean Wii.
    2. The firmware is 3.2U!?
    3. HBC, GeckOS & Gamecube backup launcher is already installed.

Now I read the guide where you can change the region firmware but I think I am missing something that I hope gets answered here. My questions are...

Can I update a Korean Wii on 3.2U to 4.1U~4.2U, straight, without any bricking, with HBC & the works on a Korean Wii with US Firmware?
    Can I download Virtual Ware & Wiiware from Nintendo with a US points card on a Korean Wii with US Firmware?

I hope you guys can help me on this. Thanks.

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Do NOT update to 4.2 if it really is a region-changed Korean Wii. You'll be presented with a screen that says Error 003 and you'll essentially be bricked. Won't be able to do anything else.

4.1, however, is A-OK.

3. takahashi69
    OP

Newcomer takahashi69 Newbie

United Kingdom
    So I can update to 4.1U through the guides here even on a korean wii? Thanks. What about the wiiware & virtual ware?

4. FenrirWolf

United States
    Yes, I meant that you can update to 4.1u. Since it has USA firmware now, attempting to upgrade to 4.1k would also brick it unless you followed a region changing guide.

You'll be able to do everything else just like normal. In theory you should be able to install the new Shop Channel without killing your console as well. But updating the System Menu is pretty much a death sentence and you should avoid it at all costs.

5. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    I got one of those its a korean wii region changed to usa it is now treated as a usa wii so just treat it like this

6. phantagom

Newcomer phantagom Member

Aruba
    I can confirm 4.1u is ok on my Korean Wii

Can you explain why ppl with Korean wii on 4.2 get the 003 error? What part of the 4.2 update causes the 003, the new boot2v4 or IOS70 or the System menu?

Oh, you say it's in the system menu, how ninty checks then you have a korean Wii???

7. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Is there a patch we could make for region changed Wii's to avoid this 03 error?? I mean obviously its possible but would it be complicated. The title ID patch took little time to come out.

8. FenrirWolf

United States
    I don't know how they check it, but they do somehow. Perhaps there are leftover Korean files like some IOS's specific to 3.5k or other things that it's tiold to freak out over once updated to 4.2

9. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    There are various checks Nintendo uses. Did you ever try deleting your shopping channel account? You need to enter your serial number to do so. Since Nintendo can match a serial number that way, I would imagine it would not be so hard for them to analyze your serial (which begins differently by region) and determine you are running a system menu not meant for your device.

10. FenrirWolf

United States
    That makes sense enough. But I wonder what made them suddenly take up this crusade against region changed consoles? Seems like there are a number of people unkowingly buying Korean Wiis from online that are being screwed over by this.

11. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

They probably just added it into the mix with removal of hbc, dvdx, bootmii, 222, 223, 249, 250... [​IMG] Seems like their intent was to start a war against "piracy"