PS1/2 A happy new owner of modded PS2

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So, as of today I had my birthday party, and luckily enough my friend gave me a PS2! (ok, you may think it ain't special, but at time I Had no money for such a thing - and when a person did not have a PS2, he REALLY did miss lot of shit!)

Not only that, It was MODDED as well.

What I can collect from evidence (Namely a cool MATRIX logo on boot up) Is that it has MATRIX INFINITY mod chip inside it's HUGE GUTS.

As I am unsure - Should the thing play DIVX files like that as I have read on a advertisement of finnish mod chip store, or is there a Media player?

Well, as I am now testing, it does not boot divX discs, XVID discs or nothing like that by itself, so I should get my hands on a homebrew media player no? What is your recommendation for homebrew to play DIVX and XVID formatted video?

Also, is there general list of homebrew I should want to get my hands on?

Everything goes, and if you can, any other info I might be happy to find out about.

THANKS for all! I hope to find info I need.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
yeah - it's one of those fatsos.

I may look into it - though I have one whole log of DIVX formatted old fansub animes I really could get into again.

Now just looking into obtaining those Down- I MEAN, LEGIT PACKUPS
nayps3.gif

(and bunch of DVD discs...)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I recommend to NOT use the ps2 to play video discs, not video dvds and certainly not CD-Rs or DVD-Rs with video files. The laser will die soon enough anyways, there's no need to speed up the dying.

If it's a fat one, you can consider buying a network adapter, then you will be able to just put an IDE HDD in there and play games from it. And if it's a slim, you might want to look for Open PS2 Loader to play (at least some) games from network.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Eh?

It REALLY can be affected by something like that..?
I mean, it's not like it still reads normal games and such.

Too bad that It still seems to be easier to get hands on few DVD-R's than a network adapter - sadly not even kidding. I just need to hope it survives through whatever I want it to do.

I mean - The real games are on a Disc too, they need to be played from them too... I just quite do not see the reason why the laser would break from that - Not only that but there is nothing physical going with disc and console... Well it does do focusing and such but that is normal for lasers (what do not break for that normally...)

But yeah, quick search and I am already 98% sure of impossibility to get your hands on a network adapter... nothing much, they stopped selling them years ago already...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On ebay you get one as buy now for 50 Euro, if you are patient you may get one for 30 Euro in an auction. Reading DVD-Rs is more stress for the laser than reading retail discs and reduces the lifetime of the laser more than the retail discs. It's a very common issue with ps2s that the lasers die, in fact that's the only reason i know of why ps2s die, and i personally have 3 dead or half dead(only CD or DVD) ps2s.

If i were you, that would be my plan:
If you have the retail disc for a game, use that.
Don't leave the ps2 alone while it's reading the disc.(turn off for lunch etc.)
Use the best DVD-R media you can get and burn 4x-16x, the 1x stuff is crap that was true when the ps2 was new.
And then if you laser dies, then buy a network adapter and an IDE HDD.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
OK - sounds like better than average plan!

It really sounds weird to me but when then thousand lambs cry the same thing being true I cannot disregard it without being at least small bit concerned - but I digress as options really ARE limited - because now even my internet paying is limited, AND use of my bank account (Social support etc. stuff)

So, using cash on DVD-R's is only valid method for getting my LEGIT BACKUPS
nayps3.gif
work...

Thanks for all the tips! - I try to see if I get a Adapter for it in some time... Too bad I WOULD have needed stuff for USB thing but that sucks as I hear... So even Though I have needed stuff it still would not help as a network adapter and hard drive would...

lukands

I took the little bus here
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I`m lovin my modded ps2 (a great system), but the only problem I got is finding games to download (I`m not crazy about torrents). OR maybe I`m not working google hard enough?
If anyone has some good links please pm me.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I obtain some of my games via RS and MU. Googling PS2 iso or PS3 iso or googling the name of game and rapidshare. Do try to burn on good media disk like verbs and taiyo yuden, i use Sony as thats what i can find in stores and there are decent. Bad quality dvd, scratched disk causes stress on the laser and wears it out quicker as ive been told.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah - I found one good site but as said, no linking...

It seems there is (better) dumps of ISOS than torrents can give for silent hill 2 and 3... Shit was corrupted or otherwise shitted on torrents - SH3 freezes on opening video (can be skipped still though) - loads pretty long time, do not know other problems unless I play more of the game.

Silent Hill 2 I downloaded on torrents did not even start up... most of time, there was ONE time it did boot, but that was a lucky strike I guess.

Since Same media brand, same way of burning (speeds etc) work on ALL OTHER games (namely, silent hill shattered memories, Persona 4) - I believe 99% it's just the iso dump (1% that it is game itself and needs to be treated like special kid in party to make them work)

Well... yet to see how all goes!

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, for anime and stuff, you could watch it off of an external hard drive or USB drive instead of discs. Know that SMS only reads Divx/Xvid + mp3 though...and I think the highest res is 1024 x 576...need confirmation on that, I usually stick with 480p since you can't tell the difference on a 22 inch TV

As for games, well, I'm using discs and it's still okay so far XP I'm using FMCB instead of modchip though, and while that shouldn't make a difference in terms of laser dying out, it probably differs in compatibility?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
justinefremlouw said:
btw, for anime and stuff, you could watch it off of an external hard drive or USB drive instead of discs. Know that SMS only reads Divx/Xvid + mp3 though...and I think the highest res is 1024 x 576...need confirmation on that, I usually stick with 480p since you can't tell the difference on a 22 inch TV

As for games, well, I'm using discs and it's still okay so far XP I'm using FMCB instead of modchip though, and while that shouldn't make a difference in terms of laser dying out, it probably differs in compatibility?

YEAAH - I could plug my HDD (what almost lives only to have anime... aside from my downloads etc) so it would be awesome.

Yeah, I use DVD at moment - for weird reasons, i used 6x burn speed (slowest of the media I have) And it does not do those scary loud sounds - it DOES some sounds but nothing as concerning as one of my tests (that was a failed non-working game any way) what was burned at 8x.

I am now testing next version of SH2 and SH3

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep, I have 3 HDD attached to my PS2 at all times for anime (I used a hub to extend the number of HDD i could plug in XD)

The PS2 laser is definitely stressed. I burn at 4x and could frequently hear the laser reading...I mostly use it for watching these days tho, so it doesn't matter much

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hmm...

Sheet. Seems like no external HD is option for games.

Also, all of my burned games have slight problem (or a major problem)

Persona 4, silent hill 4(?) - silent hill 3 and Fate/Unlimited codes work and are playable, but they just stop reading the disc at some random boots (means, sometimes it makes a distinct sound when reading the disc first, when playing the game it will stop reading it in some part) - also Silent hill 3 stops and makes sound loop on opening video (happens on same part every time, is skippable still) - I have had two 1h+ sessions of Persona 4 with no problems and one instance where it stopped reading in very start of game.

Then there is games like Silent Hill 2, what just does not read right after initial startup (black screens - this is though remedied as I ordered the REAL copy online already. Then there is game like Katamari Damacy - Only US released game so you would need to import it anyway when living in US (Yeah, I know the JAP release but you know what I mean) - I can start it, I can get to menu, press start, get on with tutorial, but music stops half way and won't read after, making game stay at lack screens - I once got through the tutorial with only getting the video of king going crazy, with choppy and lagging sound, after what I get the King talking to prince and after that it black screens - stopped reading.

At moment I am aware that my media is not the best level. I try if I find some sony brand DVD discs or anything - see if those do difference.

At moment I have only Traxadata DVD-R discs at disposal (not DVD+R) - min write speed is 6x (what I have used, works better with these discs than 8X at least, and makes the PS2 make less disturbing sounds than 8X written discs). I am still unsure if it is the Source ISO images or my media - I hope I can get some input and maybe fix it...

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Agreed if you can get the Network adapter then use that, Until then try to get some SOny or Verbatim DVD-R's

*My Laser has become picky and won't read blue colored discs, Would adjusting the laser height fix this? THanks*

cman1783

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another way to watch avi/divx files off discs is to find DVD_VIDEO mini files (it's around 3MB on psx-scene.com) and when you use nero choose dvd video, add the mini files, then add your avi/divx files. Follow this link for the tutorial. Note, the link to the mini dvd files isn't there anymore but if you search psx-scene.com, you'll find them. And btw, i use FreeMCBoot also on both my fatties.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sstew said:
Agreed if you can get the Network adapter then use that, Until then try to get some SOny or Verbatim DVD-R's

*My Laser has become picky and won't read blue colored discs, Would adjusting the laser height fix this? THanks*

Well long and behold - I walk to local store, "anttila" (one of big all-in-one chains in finland, NOT unlike Wal-Mart, maybe?) and there they have them - 10x pack of DVD-R's

18€ for pack, I buy them, pop one in, check out the ID of disc and... FIRST CLASS - Digital Media FAQ ID list says it is along the first class list.

Well, it seems that even if the disc supports 1x as lowest, my DRIVE itself does not support lower than 6x... oh... well...

So time to make the testament, and put first one of these pricey bastards (okay, they actually cost like, 20-40 cents more per one so) to test, take the same katamari Damacy, burn on 6x speed (same settings I used on two ones before it) - burns - burns - burns. ding, cooked, hit inside console and THE VICTORY - first 15 minutes and ALL WORKS.

VICTORY!

Now I just have to figure Do I want to use These discs to reburn some of my Games - As said most of time they all work, just random instances of freezing... though, even If I were to burn them all I still had 5 sony discs (and 5... Traxadata) left... So, Maybe I just may do it... Plus I have nohing more to download actually.

I also got my GENUINE copy of Silent Hill 2, and long and behold - does not fucking read... Well, with Matrix infinity enabled - 1 of 15 tries reads (or so, really random) past the black screen after playstation logo, BUT, if you are to disable the mod chip (what is easy enough, Glorious programming with controller inputs) then it reads the disc - 5 out of 5 times at least have read it when tried chip disabled.

Feels GOOOOOD man!

I need to see if I get 8 more euros, I am lucky that I live SO close to SO cheap place to get SO good DVD media!

... also, I just need to say this, but apparently Either PS2 I have, OR the one that was left at my friend's place was one that did not read discs - so the "laser story" spins around it, but apparently it was fixed... by changing a fucking battery on motherboard as I hear - I am not saying this is true or nothing, but according to the person who was told this by person who also soldered the mod chip in to the PS, it was fixed by only changing a battery on motherboard... dunno the connection, nor logic, nor nothing else but this is what I heard; busted PS2, does not read discs, change a battery and all fine again...

cman1783

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rockstar said:
Can we install an XMBish menu on PS@ using homebrew?
Currently (I doubt it will ever happen) there isn't one. A long time ago there was once something call MyPS2 but they stopped development years ago, plus it was an elf that had to be launched anyways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner/bf the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner/bf the sascrotch or smth?