A girl gaming machine??

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Digeman, Nov 6, 2007.

Nov 6, 2007

A girl gaming machine?? by Digeman at 10:39 PM (2,907 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    As you all know, video-games have been around for a loong loong time, a lot longer than I have really [​IMG]. And the majority of the players so far have been male (for whatever reason but that's not what this thread is about). Anyways, I brought my ds to school about a month ago, and a couple of my classmates tried it out, playing only ouendan. Well, now about a month later three of them have already decided to buy a ds! This came as quite a shock to me since they only played one game.
    When I was at my friends place once his girlfiend was there with us and tried out my ds. She played games like, brain age, yoshis island etc. and later forced my friend to buy one [​IMG]
    My two younger sisters play on my ds all the time and I find myself arguing with them just to be able to play on my own ds! xD

Point is, this made me realize that the ds really was "girl friendly" and if it continues we might in the near future (hopefully) have a lot more girl gamers. Personally, I think that would be great (not only for the obvious reasons [​IMG] ) but also I think that if the gamers change, so will the games. Since the demmand will be different, the game-makers will be forced forced to follow the demmand of it's new gamers, girls. This could lead to a whole new approach to gaming and game experience, the possibilities are endless! [​IMG]

So I'd like to salute the nintendo ds for accomplishing something that few or maybe no other gaming console has ever done before it, making girl's gamers!! [​IMG] HURRA FOR THE DS! [​IMG]

2. CrystalSweet

Member CrystalSweet GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    girls actually like gaming,
    i know quite a few
    (me and some of my friends)
    were just to busy to play games.
    its hard maintaining being a girl,

3. Osaka

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have always liked games since before I can remember, my parents programed them into me XD they have a picture of me, when I was so young that I cant remember now, holding the duck hunt light gun and "playing" duck hunt o_o;; I dont know how good I was, but I did it XD

4. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Girls like games as much as guys do, its just that some don't do it to avoid being "labeled"(One excuse I get often) or don't do it in public/tell people they do it.

Its like drugs.

5. Osaka

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    oh yeah. get your sisters their own DS >:O

6. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Sadly they wouldn't agree to buying one for themselves since they can steal mine all the time [​IMG]

Edit: and sadly I don't have the cash to buy them one [​IMG]

7. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Good games are girl friendly. [​IMG]

8. Digeman
    OP

Sweden

Touché [​IMG]

9. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

fixt [​IMG]

10. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    LOL ^^ That's true XD

11. Switchy

Member Switchy GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    I used to play Counterstrike, Day of Defeat and Team Fortress when they first came out.
    I never came across another girl and the boys were always surprised when they found out I'm a girl. Then they started laughing at the ones who couldn't beat me [​IMG]

12. RayorDragonFall

Member RayorDragonFall I see you've played knifey-spoony before.

Spain
    SO true. I mean, 90% of my chars in video games are guys, why? So I don't get hassle about it. I don't like being underestimated. Also, I don't tend to tell people I don't know that I love video games, it wouldn't be the first time girly girls would look at me like if I were a tomboy nerd and boys would look at me like if I were a freak or some undercover transsexual weirdo.

13. Pigwooly

Member Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So the legends are true!

I have tons of female friends, but only one in the hundreds of girls I've met in my life is more than just vaguely interested in videogames. I can get many of them to play wii sports or a classic game of space invaders, but that's about it and their interests tend to trail off after about 10 minutes.

My friends and I are all in our mid 20's and it sounds like younger generations of players are attracting a lot more women. I welcome all female gamers and I see no reason why wanting to have fun fun should be guy specific in any way.

Viva la revolution!

14. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    My girlfriend is playing Zelda PH on her DS while I'm playing something on 360. Her friend recently got a white NDSL too.
    On the other hand, another friend of hers is buying a PS3 40GB, she already has modded PS2 but no Nintendo console/handhelds.

The gamers around me are half guys, half girls. And as far as DS goes, girls dominate. My girlfriend has more games on her cart than I do O.o And it's pretty easy to see girl students playing DS in public.

15. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    I never saw "video-gaming" as a male pastime when I was growing up. Only during the start of the PS2 generation when I started noticing the distinction. Nintendo is the great uniter, not a divider. lol axis of evil ftw.

16. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    When I was growing up, EVERYONE had a gameboy. Including girls.

17. modshroom128

Member modshroom128 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    i find girls gaming bonerworthy. (turn on [​IMG] )

but thats just me [​IMG]

18. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    There are pros and cons to going with girl gamers.

On the one hand, you will have something in common with them. On the other hand, it tends to cut into the guy's gaming time and/or sanity.
    Instead of hearing, "Honey, when are you coming to bed? I'm not staying up all night." (at which point you immediately kill the game and go get some) you will hear, "Honey, you've been playing for hours, it's my turn. Gimme the controller and put in that FPS (Flower Picking Sim) I like."

Like I said, pros and cons. While the concept of a gaming girlfriend sounds like a dream come true, it can be a real pain in the butt too. Many of the girl gamers I know tend to like some really crappy games as far as guys are concerned. That's where the sanity issues come in.

And if any girl gamers are reading this, I was just kidding about that "crappy games" and "Flower Picking Sim" stuff......yeah, that's it, I was just kidding....yeah, sure. [​IMG]

19. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Girls like Cooking Mama, and IMO, it's an awesome game!!! [​IMG]

Too bad there aren't many girl gamers that I know of... [​IMG]

20. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    I know a number of girls that wouldn't consider themselves "gamers" that play my Wii with me.

Warioware: Smooth Moves is a good example.