A GBAtemp App!

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yo yo,

Don'tcha think GBAtemp should have an app?

Post thoughts, other ideas and who to contact down belooooowwww!!
Nah, not really needed. The mobile version works perfectly

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also wrong category.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Tapatalk worked with the forums?
It does, but I and many others find tapatalk to be pretty awful, generally.

Now, I would be in favor of a GBATemp Notifications App, that sends push notifs to your phone when you get forum alerts and includes an icon for your home screen that opens Temp in your favorite browser.

Temp works awesome in mobile browsers already.

Screenshot_2016-09-30-04-35-02.png

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Creating apps for everything and their dog is a trend (some would say a fad) not sure it will last, but there wouldn't be enough benefits to justify the cost and effort. Sure would be nice to have, but you need expensive developments and not just once - updates are mandatory to keep your app running with newer OS versions.

At the end of the day we are really happy with our mobile version, so there isn't really a reason to invest in this.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Oh boy, an app! I'm looking forward to yet another 20-40mb binary which offers a subset of the features of the 2.3mb website.

---

In all seriousness it would be significantly easier for all involved to make the existing website better work offline (without any of that nasty synchronising state bullshit) through service worker caching. Chrome, Samsung and Opera are all pushing forward in this direction.

Much of that 2.3mb image is uncompressed, or suboptimally compressed images, with the remainder of the loadtime being callouts to analytics and social sharing scripts - All of which is optimisable to allow the site to be cut down to the ~150kb range. Starting to look a whole lot better space-wise than that 20mb app, huh?

Reactions: VinsCool

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's no native app but I added a function for Chrome (>38) users on Android that lets you use GBAtemp as a "web app" meaning it can appear to run in a separate process from Chrome away from all the other tabs you have open and lets you navigate GBAtemp without the Chrome tool/address bar. It even appears as 'GBAtemp' in the Android task switcher. See the screenshots...

Screenshot_20161028-130028.png Screenshot_20161028-130041.png Screenshot_20161028-130044.png

All you have to do to get this is to open GBAtemp on Chrome for Android, open the top Chrome menu and choose 'Add to Home Screen'.

I only tested this on stock Android and have no idea how it integrates with 3rd party launchers or custom versions of Android.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
It's no native app but I added a function for Chrome (>38) users on Android that lets you use GBAtemp as a "web app" meaning it can appear to run in a separate process from Chrome away from all the other tabs you have open and lets you navigate GBAtemp without the Chrome tool/address bar. It even appears as 'GBAtemp' in the Android task switcher. See the screenshots...

View attachment 67269 View attachment 67270 View attachment 67271

All you have to do to get this is to open GBAtemp on Chrome for Android, open the top Chrome menu and choose 'Add to Home Screen'.

I only tested this on stock Android and have no idea how it integrates with 3rd party launchers or custom versions of Android.
It still opens as a normal tab for me. :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun