Hacking A GBA and devices to play GB & GBC on it

sfg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I own a DS on which I can play GBA games with a 3 in 1, but GB & GBC only through emulation which is far from perfect and many of the games I want to play either don't work at all or have glitches.
So, I would like to get a GBA and I want to know what is good setup, or even if it's possible to play GB and GBC roms on it, without any emulation.

My questions are:

- as above, if this is possible
- which version of GBA is recommended? I assume Micro is out since it has no support for GB and GBC?
- what cart should I get? Is this good: http://www.realhotstuff.com/ezflash-size-p-294.html ?
- does this involve anything else besides dropping the roms on your card? Any patching or something else required?

Thank you.

One more thing: If the cart could be also used on a DS Lite to play homebrew which doesn't have slot1 support (dsHeretic for example) it would be great.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can I get a quick list of non working games, emulation has always been fairly solid for me (right from goomba (color) to lameboy and everything in between.

Still GB/GBC runs at a different voltage and so required a distinct cart (GBA carts could not do it without emulation), there was a so called GBA bridge that could convert an F2A I think it was into a GB/GBC cart but both are incredibly rare these days.

Note that the GBC hardware level emulation was not perfect on the GBA and a few games suffered palette issues.

That is the EZ4 (GBA size aka fat aka original model), the features listed are however for the EZ4 lite deluxe (only comes in DS lite size but it works if you can make it fit).
Patching is required, the application is called EZ4client which amounts to opening the rom (can be left in a zip/rar file) and pressing send.
Homebrew will require DLDI patching (no autopatching on the EZ4) and yes it will work on most homebrew not geared for the DS slot devices save the really really old stuff that never got a DLDI patch/EZ4 rebuild and most of that has better equivalents (it was mainly rom dumpers and save dumpers which have both been taken care of by rudolph's dumpers).

Naturally to run DS code you will need a flashed DS or a nopass (built into most DS slot carts these days), the EZ4 can also run most DS games (some of the very newest lack patches but certainly the first 3000 will be near flawless and most of the rest will work as well).

sfg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, to be honest most work, but in different emulators. Even so, there are graphic or sound glitches and it would simply be more convenient to have them all start from the same place and work without any problems.
Thank you for the answers, though. It seems the chance to find those devices is very slim.

One more thing, which I don't know if deserves a new topic: I'm trying to play Classic NES Bomberman, with a CycloDS and EZ 3 in 1 Plus. I've tried starting it from both SRAM and NOR, both with GBAExploader and with the Cyclo itself and the game loads, but it has a big delay between when I press a button and when it responds. Otherwise, the game runs smoothly. I managed to enter the first level and the enemies were moving at normal speed.
This is the only GBA game that caused me problems, and it did the same on my previous flash cart so I don't think the Cyclo is responsable.

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally used Goomba Color to run a few GBC games on my GBA. It works well. The only issue for me was the lack of save states support so I ended up using Masterboy on a PSP to play my GBC games. But when I did use Goomba Color, I didn't see any issues with the few roms that I tried.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could go true old school flash tech and get one of these.
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card
2s7jeqr.jpg

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DanTheManMS said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. RTS was really only added to flash carts late in the GBA era.
USB wasn't even used on most of the first GBA carts. So this cart is probably pretty new.

Official SiteImportant things to consider:

* Game *.sav file is stored in SRAM. Only one *.sav can be stored at the same time
Eww.

EDIT: It seems that nowadays GB carts are made with LSDJ support specifically on mind. That would explain the lacking of a decent multi-save support.

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently scored a GB bridge and flash2advance on ebay. I think the best solution for gb and gbc would be to get the bleepbloop microsd drag and drop cart that's comming out soon.

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somthing about 90 days and that was over a month ago so hopfully it'll be out soon. As intresting as that, the super game boy bios has been dummped and the guy working on it says the GBC is next on his list so I'm hoping for a good gb emulator with all the color pallets soon.

sfg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, thank you, but I don't need shit emulators.

Anyway, I got one of those 64M Smart Cards a while ago and it's good, but too limited. This new cart that should come out soon sounds great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins