Gaming A Game Boy Advance 1:1 clone with extras.

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We had send one sample to Another World for review. He will write a professional review for K1 GBA SP. You will have a depth know on this device.

pixelelated, the shoulder buttons are very good.

By the way, K101 is still not available. The manufacture is still testing this device. k1gba site will be release it as soon as everything tested.

Reactions: kotaku.com

pixelelated

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ruilong, I have a couple of questions:

1) How is the sound? Is the sound perfectly emulated as well? I've had issues with other console clones?
2) Any news on a new firmware that won't scale the screen so it will be at the native resolution?
3) Will the final K101 have four face buttons? If so, why? I'm interested to know why it would have more than the GBA did

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Also, are there any in-depth reviews yet?

my review sample should be here in a few days. i have contact information for the k1 team so i hope to get some direct answers to some specific questions. this review should probably take me about 2 weeks to complete (with testing and comparisons). i will have a 1st impressions post up as soon as i receive the review sample.

cheers,
-another world

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
the k1gba site is selling bundles with roms pre installed :|

Can anyone tell me how this is better than gbasp + ez iv?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Really not much. It has TV output, plus a higher resolution. But that's about it, as far as I know. This is a great solution for when real GBAs become especially scarce, but right now I can't possibly imagine this being worth the $70.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Really not much. It has TV output, plus a higher resolution. But that's about it, as far as I know. This is a great solution for when real GBAs become especially scarce, but right now I can't possibly imagine this being worth the $70.
to me, if you bought a Used GBA SP ($35) and a EZ iv ($30) it's about the same with the exception that is a New machine, that has not been worn out .

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
well that all depends on the actual compatibility. a flash kit with its patching software may never be 100% compatible. besides special chip carts (RTC, motion-controller), they are claiming a 99.9% compatibility for all other games. if everything else checks out then perhaps it is a better solution.

-another world

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The appeal in the long run for me is using the SoC at its full power for emulation of other systems, instead of just using its underclocked mode for GBA games.

And perhaps a system that's close to the Game Boy Micro form-factor, because that machine is the most portable and wonderful handheld ever created.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While i agree with "W Hat" on the first part, I will disagree about the form factor. I prefer the SP's form factor due to the button placement and the folding body of the SP provides instant screen protection. :D

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
to me, if you bought a Used GBA SP ($35) and a EZ iv ($30) it's about the same with the exception that is a New machine, that has not been worn out .
I suppose that's true, for people who find a "new" machine important. That said, I personally don't mind a "worn" machine, and I've had my original glacier GBA for 10 years now. It still shows no real signs of wear (except for a sticker I stupidly tore off the back, and a missing battery cover), and works perfectly.

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sound is not perfect see this youtube video http://www.youtube.c...EA&feature=plcp
My friend, is that you bought K1 GBA SP console from K1 GBA site? I saw the video. Can you try other roms? I had tested most roms. The sound is good. It maybe the problem of the rom files. Some roms are not good, which will effect the sound output. We suggest you guys to other websites to download the same roms and test them again.

Any question can be PM me. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Never compare the original GBA SP with the K1. I know people who are interesting in K1 have deep impression on the original one. The one you will buy it K1, which is used hardware clone for emulating games. It is a totally different way from what the original one work. The thing we need to think is that how is its compatible? How is its control? How is its battery time?...ect. There is no sense to compare it with the original one. We make this device is for people who can not drop their memory to GBA SP. We just copy or clone GBA but adding some features that the original lack. Thus, we are not making a totally new original GBA! I think you guys need to compare K1 with the current clone GBAs. You will find how amazing this device will bring to you.( the better compatibility and the TV-out and multilink playing and the high resolution ect...)

The original GBA is gone. What we are trying our best is to bring you guys more things on K1 similar to it. The original GBA is the best one and it is the goal. K1 can reach it very very near but never never can be it.

For the bundles, it is for people who do not know how to get the roms. I know some people from South american or other countries where video game is a new thing for them. Or someone are so lazy that they do not want to install roms in K1. The roms installed version is for these people who want to play games with K1 once they receive it.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country

Never compare the original GBA SP with the K1. I know people who are interesting in K1 have deep impression on the original one. The one you will buy it K1, which is used hardware clone for emulating games. It is a totally different way from what the original one work. The thing we need to think is that how is its compatible? How is its control? How is its battery time?...ect. There is no sense to compare it with the original one. We make this device is for people who can not drop their memory to GBA SP. We just copy or clone GBA but adding some features that the original lack. Thus, we are not making a totally new original GBA! I think you guys need to compare K1 with the current clone GBAs. You will find how amazing this device will bring to you.( the better compatibility and the TV-out and multilink playing and the high resolution ect...)

The original GBA is gone. What we are trying our best is to bring you guys more things on K1 similar to it. The original GBA is the best one and it is the goal. K1 can reach it very very near but never never can be it.

For the bundles, it is for people who do not know how to get the roms. I know some people from South american or other countries where video game is a new thing for them. Or someone are so lazy that they do not want to install roms in K1. The roms installed version is for these people who want to play games with K1 once they receive it.

I was asking a simple question. There was no need to get defensive.

edit: In case you didn't notice, I wasn't comparing the gba sp and k1, I was asking how k1 was better than gba sp AND ez iv.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

In a way, I do understand and agree with what you're saying: The original GBA's days are finished, and the K1 is a sort of way to try and "keep the GBA alive," so to speak. And it's a good idea. That said, I'm not even sure that's something to really worry about since, even after 20 years or more, it's still fairly easy to grab a NES or SNES for a decent price. I imagine GBAs will last at least as long in the age of eBay and Amazon.

However, the real problem here is that K1 CLAIMS to be a 1:1 clone of the original GBA. Heck, just look at the title of this thread, and what it says all over the K1 site. Because of that, it's fully fair and good game to compare the K1 to an original GBA because' it CLAIMS perfect 1:1 compatibility. If the K1 is meant to be "just" another clone that's better than other clones, but not on par with the origina GBA, then it shouldn't falsely advertise being a 1:1 clone. It's as simple as that.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i didn't read it as defensive at all. i interpreted what he wrote as saying that this is a unique device, its a pirating device, and it is not designed to be a perfect replacement. it is, as i understand his writing, a new device, with update features, designed to capture a new audience of gamers who perhaps missed out on the GBA or who were not as passionate about it when they were younger.

if the buttons, dpad, screen, sound, and compatibility are top-notch then it will be a suitable alternative. saying one is better than the other is a subject of personal interpretation, especially if they both get the job done... unless of course the "clone" hardware is appallingly poor.

-another world

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry. I were not intent to defend for anything. Like Another World say, I am jut telling you guys truth about K1.

I am also a fan of GBA. When I was a child, I dreamed to own one GBA. Yes, GBA SP may be your childhood's memory especially for those people born in 80s, 90s. But how about those people who live in the third world countries?A video game handheld like GBA will surely bring them more fun like we had in childhood. I think that is the amazing thing to bring happiness. Yes, not every of them can read this thread as they lack of internet. But thing will change as the countries we lived. They will "go" on road one day. They will find gbatemp. Am I a little ambition? I am just wanting to say " GBA SP" is not gone. It lives in every GBA fans heart. So it will be in people's heart in the third world countries.

I did not notice the title, xwatchmanx. Thank you for reminding me. Yes, K1 can not be 1:1 clone GBA SP. That is to say it is not 100% compatibility to all GBA games such as the motion controls. But the next version which has a different design can do that- yes, with RTC.

mr-volk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
sound is not perfect see this youtube video

My friend, is that you bought K1 GBA SP console from K1 GBA site? I saw the video. Can you try other roms? I had tested most roms. The sound is good. It maybe the problem of the rom files. Some roms are not good, which will effect the sound output. We suggest you guys to other websites to download the same roms and test them again.

Hi, it s my video. And this sound glitch appear after a stand by mode on - > off. After power off sound is normal.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm grabbing one. Looks like an improvement to what is already one of the best handhelds ever.

If you are on the fence about it you should of course wait for Another World's review. But if you are already inclined to get one act fast because if it owns then the high memory or preferred colors are going to go out quickly.

I hope mr-volk's problem isn't widespread.

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sound is not perfect see this youtube video

Hi, it s my video. And this sound glitch appear after a stand by mode on - > off. After power off sound is normal.

Where and when did you buy this K1? From taobao or K1 gba site? I think it is about the roms problem not the hardware since the sound is normal after power off.

By the way, can you test other roms? Is the sound still there on other roms?

We had tested the first batch- 50pcs and the second batch- 30pcs, there is no such problem happened. Can you show me more details? Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...