A Fire Emblem: Three Houses voice actor will be replaced, following abuse allegations

pad5pg6.png

The recently released Fire Emblem: Three Houses will see one of its character's voice actors recast, following a major accusation of abuse. Chris Niosi, the voice actor behind the game's main male character, Byleth, admitted to having, "horribly mistreated and abused friends, colleagues, and even significant others", in a very long apology post on social media. Previously, Niosi has been accused of sexual assault by multiple former friends, with those within the voice acting industry also calling the actor out on his behavior. In the mobile game, Fire Emblem Heroes, Niosi was also voicing that same character, in a special event celebrating the launch of Three Houses. Shortly after the admission post went up, Nintendo quietly issued a patch to remove Chris Niosi from the credits of the game, with the character receiving new voice lines by a new actor, Zach Aguilar.

Nintendo will be replacing all voiceover work done by Niosi in Three Houses as well, with the company stating to various news outlets that, "After assessing the situation, we have decided to re-record the character's voiceovers in Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Fire Emblem Heroes with another actor. The new voiceovers will be included in a future patch". There's no word on when the patch will go out, but Nintendo seems intent on getting the issue resolved fairly quickly.

:arrow: Source

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Chris Niosi had no respect for my bodily autonomy. I have a full-time job and when I came home from work my only request was that he wouldn’t jump on me the second I walked in. All I wanted was a little time to decompress from the day and get a shower but he would grope me every single day despite my protest. I told him to please not do that many, many times. He would pout and argue and continue doing it anyway.

Chris Niosi has obvious anger management problems and would snap and blow up at the smallest things. He would tell me “that’s just how I am” and that I needed to deal with it. I hated playing Smash with him because I would win most of the time and he would rage and scream at the top of his lungs. Near the end of our relationship I was fearful of his meltdowns every day.

Worst of all, Chris Niosi was planning to sexually take advantage of me when I was very intoxicated on my birthday last year. He even tried to tell a friend that he had implied permission from me when confronted about it (which is absolutely not true). That only gave me confirmation he knew exactly what he was doing. Thankfully I was aware enough at the time to tell him to back off, but it disturbs me to this day that he saw me being drunk on my birthday as an “opportunity.”"

Sounds exactly like me. Good guy.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm a big Chris Niosi fan. So I'm first to say: I am disappointed in him. Contrary to a post on page 1 - he has history of verbal abuse of his girlfriends, generally being a douchebag, etc. He let his ego go to his head, which isn't something new (meanwhile others get away with this in gusto).

I am proud he took responsibility, and he himself was fine being taken out of FEH/3H because he knew he screwed up. He's worth accepting his apology, presuming he does improve, and I honestly think that taking him out of this one and having him work from ground up again would be a good thing.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, that's it? I was kind of expecting something more extreme than just being a total asshole. Hopefully the guy will take the chance to get his life in order, because it really sounds like he needs to. Anyhow, I guess Nintendo wanted to switch it so that there wouldn't be any incongruity between the character's current lines and any future uses of the character.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was removed for an NDA violation. Crazy how news sites didn't even what's most important in this story. Modern journalism is rotten to the core.
Do you have a source? It's hard to report on things when sources are scarce or can't be corroborated.

Last edited by osaka35,

Heichart

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Brazil
(...) he took responsibility, (...) because he knew he screwed up. He's worth accepting his apology, presuming he does improve, and (...) having him work from ground up again would be a good thing.

This is how life should be done. Second chances for everyone that know what they did wrong and want to work towards improvement/change for the better.

renhei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good. Abusers don't deserve anything. I hope his life is ruined. That's what he deserves for traumatizing anyone.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That carreer is probably ruined...
I wonder why he decided to make an online confession.

He doesn't mention sexual abuse in his tumblr post.
I don't know what he did that was wrong, so I can't form an opinion on this.

As for me, I honestly couldn't care less about a replaced voice actor.
It won't lessen my enjoyment of the game.

Idk. According to a several youtubers he was fired for breaking non-disclosure agreements. Leaking all the cut seens in the game and revealing several gameplay expects. As well as for cursing and telling others to go F off during meeting about his behavior.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you have a source? It's hard to report on things when sources are scarce or can't be corroborated.

Several reliable and well known you-tubers have reported on this. He was fired due to NDAs violations on several projects and bad behavior. He leaked all the cut seens for 3 houses last week and several game expects. He was taken into a meeting about the leaks and told how he was going to be suspended without pay. He responded by telling people to f-off and other cursing. he was than fired immediately.

Reactions: Reynardine

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Tara Platt (Edelgard) mentioned that Niosi is prone to breaking NDAs in the past. Whether that’s the reason or not Nintendo canned him is unknown. It certainly could have factored into it, but as stated in the OP, is Nintendo’s only comment “after assessing the situation” they’d be replacing his voiceover work.

We know for a fact that Niosi confirmed on social media that he was voicing Byleth prior to the official reveals, meaning he broke NDA. Whether or not that was grounds to remove his credits, recast him, and remove all his voices lines...seems a little extreme for just a guy making a little comment on Twitter. This decision very likely factored in the abuse allegations and decrying of Niosi’s behavior from all the other involved voice actors.

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, that puts a different perspective to it.
Seems like he got a little too excited and couldn't keep quiet until the NDA lift date.

This whole abuse story must've added additional fuel to the fire and also factored into the decision to replace him.
I can't decide whether to pity or condemn him. Perhaps he's learned his lesson and is trying to improve...

Last edited by Reynardine,

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I understand Nintendo decision, but if I can I probably won't download the new patch. I love Byleth's voice as it is now.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good. Abusers don't deserve anything. I hope his life is ruined. That's what he deserves for traumatizing anyone.

Everyone deserves a second chance. Even people like you who wish others lives destroyed over your own personal morality. Try having your life ruined, whether over legitimate or illegitimate reasons, and see how you feel.

The man has shown signs of legitimate intent to redeem himself. If he messes it up, fine, but until then, this is his first actual major 'callout', and he took the priority to apologize for his actions before he was even announced as being replaced.

Besides, verbal abuse (to my memory he has no physical abuse to his name, but my memory's not perfect) is not something someone should lose their livelihood over. Murder, or intentionally destroying someone else's life for personal gain, is where I put down the foot at "deserves to have their livelihood destroyed".

Reactions: Reynardine

renhei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone deserves a second chance. Even people like you who wish others lives destroyed over your own personal morality. Try having your life ruined, whether over legitimate or illegitimate reasons, and see how you feel.

The man has shown signs of legitimate intent to redeem himself. If he messes it up, fine, but until then, this is his first actual major 'callout', and he took the priority to apologize for his actions before he was even announced as being replaced.

Besides, verbal abuse (to my memory he has no physical abuse to his name, but my memory's not perfect) is not something someone should lose their livelihood over. Murder, or intentionally destroying someone else's life for personal gain, is where I put down the foot at "deserves to have their livelihood destroyed".
"Try having your life ruined and see how you feel."

Oh, I have. I've been abused, I've been traumatized. I have PTSD from it. It affects me horribly every day, and I don't like it.

Abusers don't want to be better. They want to hurt people. Abusers will lie and say whatever people want to hear then say, just to get the attention off then so that can go back to being abusive. Please learn this: abusers want to hurt people, they do not want to improve themselves and be kind to people.

And people like that don't deserve a second chance, because they won't take that second chance, because they don't want to be good.

Reactions: vincentx77 and Hozu

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good. Actions should have consequences. Whatever he did, it bit him in the ass.

Given Byleth has almost non-existent voice lines, it's an easy role to replace. Distancing yourself from a piece of shit is just business 101.

Dunno how anyone could be mad at Nintendo or outraged. This is pretty open and shut common sense.

Reactions: graeme122

Ginko_Games

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Ani-tuber mother's Basement has a wonderful video about this type of situation. If you are interested it is called "Hate the work, or hate the jerk?" Its really worth a listen and has valid points for both sides of an argument of this nature.

but yeah imo, i only see japan treating this situation this way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good. Actions should have consequences. Whatever he did, it bit him in the ass.

Given Byleth has almost non-existent voice lines, it's an easy role to replace. Distancing yourself from a piece of shit is just business 101.

Dunno how anyone could be mad at Nintendo or outraged. This is pretty open and shut common sense.

im 50/50, while i totally agree with what you say, i also feel that a piece of art should be appreciated for what it is, not who made it. it leaves me feeling very conflicted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning