Hacking A few words on IOSU, redNAND, and iosuhax.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. Then why were Wii NAND dumps only 512 MB (the size of the NAND)? Not judging or complaining, just genuinely curious.
OK, so you understand conceptually that a full dump will be the size of the chip. Then, if the SD is also the size of the chip, and you use that SD directly (no filesystem or offsets), it will be completely/exactly full. If you need anything else on the SD at the same time as the dump, as is the case with the current implementation, it can't fit.

Back to the reality of the WiiU, you do save some space by not taking every sector of mlc, but you also have to do the slc, and when you have all that plus the cfw, loader, and the file system for those parts, you're over the real size the big chip (nominal size of your WiiU). Not by very much, but over is over.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A little question just in case:
If Nintendo would remove the exploitable DS VC games like Dr. Kawashimas from their eShop, wouldn't it still be possible to simply just install them with WUP installer y mod directly to sysNAND? Would be the same effect wouldn't it?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little question just in case:
If Nintendo would remove the exploitable DS VC games like Dr. Kawashimas from their eShop, wouldn't it still be possible to simply just install them with WUP installer y mod directly to sysNAND? Would be the same effect wouldn't it?
No, because we don't have the ticket (Unless there's now a method to extract tickets from installed titles that I've missed)

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the size of the Wii U nand, plus the size of the vWii nand, plus some other chip I think. Plus extra space for a filesystem to put your dang files on.
Ah. I see. The fact a 64 GB SD card is required for a deluxe Wii U isn't because you need twice as much space for redNAND as the size of your sysNAND, it's that the next size of card up from 32 GB is 64 GB. Nobody makes cards with sizes between 32 and 64, so you need at least a 64. It's not like redNAND itself requires a minimum of 64 GB. For some reason I was thinking exactly that.

Last edited by Ailuros27,

Spearel18

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Ah. I see. The fact a 64 GB SD card is required for a deluxe Wii U isn't because you need twice as much space for redNAND as the size of your sysNAND, it's that the next size of card up from 32 GB is 64 GB. Nobody makes cards with sizes between 32 and 64. For some reason I was thinking that redNAND required a minimum 64 GB of space, possibly because of some technical limitation.
Yes, that.
Another reason: Even if it was possible to dump to a 32GB SD card, then how would you install any content if your card is full?;)

Reactions: Ailuros27
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
No, because we don't have the ticket (Unless there's now a method to extract tickets from installed titles that I've missed)
iirc eShop tickets are tied to the console anyway. Fairly sure you can actually still extract the ticket with wuperver though - isn't it under /vol/code?

Reactions: AboodXD

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc eShop tickets are tied to the console anyway. Fairly sure you can actually still extract the ticket with wuperver though - isn't it under /vol/code?
Good question, never tried it. And even if you could and share it publicly somewhere would it install "legit"? (I doubt it but now I'm curious)

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good question, never tried it. And even if you could and share it publicly somewhere would it install "legit"? (I doubt it but now I'm curious)
/vol/system_slc/rights/ticket

The 696 byte eshop tickets won't install, but they have the title and key, so you can create a fake ticket. Of course, you'll need sigpatches for that.

Reactions: AboodXD

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
/vol/system_slc/rights/ticket

The 696 byte eshop tickets won't install, but they have the title and key, so you can create a fake ticket. Of course, you'll need sigpatches for that.
That's what I thought, which would be pointless if you were trying to set up ContentHax lol

Gootah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so...

These hax are not officially released
I should buy Dr. Kawashimas
I need a 64GB card

Is that what I'm supposed to get from this thread? Do I have it all?

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question, now that thanks to fw.img and wupserver and all of that, is there a way to inject Wii games to VC and install them with wupinstaller y mod?

Or be able to play, lets say Wii games on the Wii U Gamepad using the gamepad buttons, or Nintendont GC games using Wii U Gamepad buttons?

Last edited by huma_dawii,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Question, now that thanks to fw.img and wupserver and all of that, is there a way to inject Wii games to VC and install them with wupinstaller y mod?
What about actually breaking down the Wii VC now and rework Cafe2Wii to boot into the Wii menu with the Gamepad as CCP?
Maybe redirecting the elf or something, or even injecting the Homebrew Channel into a Wii VC.

Reactions: huma_dawii

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about actually breaking down the Wii VC now and rework Cafe2Wii to boot into the Wii menu with the Gamepad as CCP?
Maybe redirecting the elf or something, or even injecting the Homebrew Channel into a Wii VC.
That would be awesome, I think Wii U has the potential to become the best homebrew machine ever!

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
OK, so...

These hax are not officially released
I should buy Dr. Kawashimas
I need a 64GB card

Is that what I'm supposed to get from this thread? Do I have it all?
Everything has been officially released and we even have extended forks! :yayu:
As of posting this, those games should be fine:
  • Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!
  • Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain?
  • Yoshi Touch & Go
  • Mario Kart DS
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Yoshi's Island DS
  • WarioWare: Touched!
  • Kirby: Squeak Squad
  • Kirby: Mouse Attack
  • Star Fox Command
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
You need a 64GB card for 32GB (black) Wii U, or a 16GB card for 8GB (white) Wii U.
(This will probably change in the future)

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually lol, I was wondering why there wasn't any noob-proof, nearly perfect hacking tutorial like CJB100's one for vWii and Plailect's one for 3DS, and now I have my answer. @Sans-Serif Before the freaking mess that happened after Trump and Hillary's posts I was like all the other noobs, bashing Hykem and waiting for releases. Bu now I ciompletely agree with your point of view and since I own both Kawashima, MKDS and NSMB DS, and that my Wii U is waiting in the cellar without any risk of accidental updates, I'll just wait for a complete release and a cool guide (of course if that doesn't take up to 2021 :P)

Reactions: canariobr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.