A few simple questions

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Rice923, May 31, 2008.

May 31, 2008

A few simple questions by Rice923 at 4:58 AM (1,461 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Rice923
    OP

Member Rice923 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just got my AK2 today from DX. Got a few questions that i hope you guys could help me out with.

1) Is there a way to reset during gameplay that can bring me back to the menu of the AK2?
    2) The shiny stickre on the cart shows some signs of rubbing or some sort of use when i got it in the package. Is this normal or is it obviously used before?
    3) I've heard the included full-plastic microSD card reader is really bad (I've had no problems thus far). Should I just use it or use a micro-to-regular SD adapter instead?
    4) How do I play music and movies? I already know the whole dpg thing, but how do I go about getting it to play? Do I need to download moonshell onto the cart or something?

That's all for now.

2. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    1) Turn on soft reset under patches in the start menu, then press LR AB or some button combination like that to use it. I'm not sure if it's AB, but i do know it's LR.
    2) That's a bit odd....
    3) Dunno
    4) Yes, you need to load moonshell.

3. Rice923
    OP

United States
    How do I get moonshell onto the cart? I downloaded moonshell 1.71 with DPG tools. I did not find any NDS files like I'm used to. However I did find a setup.exe file. Do I need to install moonshell to my own comuter before anyhting else?

And I can't get soft reset to work so far. I can only get it to reset back to the game's own menu.

4. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    1. Enable soft reset in patches menu. Then press L+R+A+B+Down while in game.
    2. Unless its some major scratching, I wouldn't worry. The cart could have easily moved around inside the packaging during transit, enough to give some small, light scratching, I think. Maybe look at the contacts for signs of being inserted into a DS?
    3. The AK2 branded reader is one of the few bundled readers that has worked well for me. Which one did you get the AK branded or the one with the strap?
    4. Grab this. Unzip it and install into moonshl folder on root of uSD and put the .nds file wherever you want.

5. Rice923
    OP

United States
    I got the AK2 branded one. It's worked fine for me so far too.

How do I DLDI patch homebrew programs? I know the AK2 patches them automatically ONLY if the homebrew is placed on the root. I want to place them in their own seperate folder.

Anyhow, can anyone provide me with a step by step instruction as to getting movies to play on the DS? So far I've downloaded the moonshell 1.71 files from GBAtemp.

edit: thanks for the moonshell link
    edit2: the link doesn't work for me. In fact, the AK2 site hasn't worked for me at all today. Does it work for you guys?

6. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Mine DLDI patches homebrew even if i place them in their own folder.

The site works.

7. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You can place .nds files anywhere you want. The datafiles for some homebrew must reside in a specific location (often the root or a "data" folder on the root).

Some online stores (for example Leetmod.com) will test your cart before sending it out as a service. If you have scratches it could indicate that they tested your cart, but I don't think DX does that.

-Bri

8. Rice923
    OP

United States
    Finally got the moonshell stuff to work [​IMG] . Site finally worked for me this morning. Thanks gratefulbuddy for the link too.

As for the patching issues, do I need to place the homebrew apps in a folder named "data"?

All the help so far is very much appreciated. I'm enjoying my new AK2 quite a lot

9. gratefulbuddy

United States
    You could: experiment and try out different setups and see what works or ask about specific programs on these forums.
    My findings so far- most homebrew programs are just a .nds file and can be placed anywhere you want. Programs that include folders generally need to have the folder on the root but you can hide it so you won't have to see it on the AK menu.
    Most homebrew that requires some specific setup will have a readme explaining how to organize things.

10. Rice923
    OP

United States
    Ya I've been experimenting a lot for the past half hour. I've taken out the microSD card atleast 20 times by now.

Also, is there a way to make the AK2 not boot up to the last directory I was at? I want it to boot up and be at the main menu.

11. gratefulbuddy

United States
    In globalsettings.ini, this setting "enterLastDirWhenBoot" you need to change the 1 to a 0.

12. Rice923
    OP

United States
    Thanks a lot. THat feature's been bothering me for a while now.