Hacking A few simple questions to send me on my way..

Sychu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, i am kind of a noob at this emulator/hack stuff and normally like to lurk when it comes to obtaining info. I am looking to own a Super Card Dstwo as well as a 32GB Sandisk Micro-Sd Card (class10:)) for my DSIXL but i have a few questions. After much searching through google i was unable to find the answers to my questions so here i am before you the much famed gbatemp forum.

Question 1 (most important): Do any of the emulators have filter/shader options to reduce the amount of white light? and which ones? My eyes are highly sensitive to many electronics bright light even on the lowest settings (Especially GB games that i play on mednafen for linux) but i found that an emulator that i used in the past (lameboy?) had an option to kinda blot out the "white" light with a custard type color as well as add a mini-black pixel matrix to the screen to make it "alot"easier on the eyes.

TIP: If you use firefox and have sensitive eyes like mine i'd recommend trying the blank your monitor add-on it allows you to customize the way colours are displayed on websites for ex. my text is currently displayed in dark red and my background is pitch black.

Question 2: Is the SCDS2 (as well as the Sandisc Micro Sd) compatible with Linux(ubuntu)? It is my only OS at the moment because my windows crashed and died long ago lol.

Question 3: Can you customise the text/background colour in ireader?

Question 4: I assume SCDS2 only works with a "micro" sd card, is this correct?

Questiion 5: Can you play mp3's while the DS is closed or overtop of a games default music?

Question 6: I'm planning on purchasing the SCDS2 from real hot stuff, however i was wondering if the manufacturing process of the cards are different between a u.s. seller and a china based seller, like are the china cards better put together and more durable than western cards e.t.c if so my other choice is digitopsz which i heard is based in hong kong. Also is it wise to shop from rhs even though they where hacked in the past? (I am from the u.s.) Also, do these cards last long? And are they "over-all" durable?

Question 7: How well can the SCDS2 play vids?

I think that was all of em, have at em! (sorry in advance if some of the questions seem stupid) & Thanks in adavance! ; )

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. You can always set brightness lower and there are skins for some emulators, like the ones in my signature, which have a dark theme. GameYob has all options lameboy has and more, so you have to check the settings.

2. I think not, since the DSTWO is not able to work with Linux file systems, I think, and since the SD-card is required to be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32, it probably isn't possible.

3. I don't know about iReader but in the TempGBA emulator you can change the skin and text colours.

4. You are correct.

5. I don't know and no definitely not during games since you can't run two processes at once, i.e. not a game and homebrew at the same time.

6. They're all the same card, it is possible to get one from a bad batch, but I guess the chances are equally high at every retailer.

7. Never tried it, but don't expect too much from it, formats are limited, there is a topic somewhere here with more detail about it you might want to read that.

Tip: Read the sticky topics in this subforum, they hold all the answers about everything that you need to know about the DSTWO.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
2 - The DSTwo's SD can be edited on Linux just fine.

4 - Yes. Normal SD does not fit in the DSTwo, nor does mini, etc.

5 - No. The DS has no actual operating system or common code. The DS is a cheap handheld from 2004. Even if you use a flash cart in a 3DS, you're using the 3DS's backwards compatibility to run cheap handheld software from 2004. :P There's no real way to do this.

6 - Flash carts are all made in China. US sites just import them to the US before re-selling them to you.

7 - It's meh, since the transfer speed between the cart and the DS is a bottleneck. I mean it's better than a normal DS, but better than shit is still not very good.

Sychu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aeter, you mean that i can set the brightness lower than the normal minimum? I don't think the stickys mention filters/shaders but i'll check again, just tired of wearing my broken sunglasses everytime i play my DS but if push comes to shove i'll just buy some physical screen dimming film if i can conjure the $$. Thank you both, i very much appreciate your helpful responses. I thought i was screwed there for a minuet Rydian : ).

Sychu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I ment the DS's 4 brightness settings, the DSTWO doesn't have extra brightness options.
I C, yes those setting are a bit too bright for me unless im surrounded by tons of light. Thanks much :).

Sychu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi again, i was wondering if i have to update my micro SD even if its brand new? Also what is the difference between the eos's it says that one is more organized and the other is more functional?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.