A few (simple?) ignorant questions (boot2, c/IOS, HBC, AHBPROT, neek)

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by rhester72, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rhester72
    OP

rhester72 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    I first hacked my Wii over six years ago, and things have obviously changed a _lot_ since then.

I've been working to clean up my system, and so far have done the following:

- Upgraded Priiloader, BootMii the Homebrew Channel, and USB Loader GX to current
    - Removed DIOS MIOS by installing unpatched version 10
    - Installed latest Nintendont and neek2o+di
    - Removed all cIOS entries > 90
    - Reinstalled d2x-v10-beta52 in slots 249 (base 56) and 250 (base 57)

All is working well, but having found (and love!) SysCheck, I have a few remaining questions:

- LONG ago, before it was hacked, I updated to 4.2U, then downgraded to 4.1U before doing my first system hack. Despite the downgrade, my boot2 remains at v4 (and my boot1 will not allow for native BootMii, natch, despite my unit having a Feb 2007 manufacture date with physical GameCube ports). If I recall correctly, 4.1U's native boot2 is v3. a) Is it safe to downgrade, and b) is there any reason to do so?

- On a real Wii, is beta 52 the recommended d2x cIOS, or should I use beta 53? I recall reading somewhere once that beta 53 was created mostly to solve vWii problems, but it wasn't clear whether there was any benefit on native hardware.

- IOS36 (v54321) shows Trucha Bug, ES Identify, and NAND Access. I assume that these patches a) were installed by HackMii, and b) are necessary for the Homebrew Channel to function?

- Similarly, the following IOSes are patched as v54321, but I'm not sure why (or whether they need to be): 9, 11, 16, 20, 30, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90. a) Were these patched by earlier hacks and are no longer necessary? b) If necessary, what benefit does their being patched provide on a 'modern' hack? c) If unnecessary, can I replace them with "clean" versions from NUS Downloader (basically reinstalling the WAD), and how do I know what 'real' version numbers correspond with 4.1U in NUS Downloader?

- How exactly does one disable AHBPROT, and why would you want to do so? I play nearly everything via USB Loader GX, booted straight from Priiloader, using neek2o for VC/WW and Nintendont for GC, using neek for the occasional difficult Wii game (like GH3 with emunand DLC) and HBC for system maintenance and updates. Is there any reason to care about AHBPROT in that case? (USB Loader GX shows "+ AHB" in the upper-right corner of the Credits page, but it wasn't clear to me whether that meant it's on or off - MMM showed AHBPROT as FFFFFFFF, whatever that means.)

- What is the point/function of the 'backup' HBC?

- When using neek2o to boot into emunand, I get the Health Warning screen on each boot. I've disabled this on real NAND in Priiloader, is there a way to do something similar in emunand? (For instance, is there any way to start Priiloader _in_ emunand, and have it control the "emulated" Wii in the same way it does on real NAND?)

Very sorry for the ignorance - I've read and researched as much as I could, but answers to these have eluded me. Thanks much for any feedback/guidance!

Rodney

Last edited by rhester72, Feb 9, 2016
  2. rhester72
    OP

rhester72 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    + a couple more:

- Can/should stub IOSes be removed on 4.1U?

- MMM offers the ability to patch IOS36 - I'm assuming from the above that mine's already patched, and there's no reason to do it again?

- MMM also identifies several IOSes as Korean (localization?) - can those be safely removed to reclaim more NAND space?

Rodney