A few quick questions about the M3 Real

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Niklas_101, Aug 5, 2008.

Aug 5, 2008
  1. Niklas_101
    OP

Newcomer Niklas_101 Member

Sweden
    Okay, I'm about to buy a Real, but i have a few questions:

-It's not about to become obsolete any time soon, right? I'd hate to buy one and have a better one come out a month later.

-Can you use a M3 Perfect SD as a GBA expansion? I read in this thread (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=66841) that you can with a M3 Lite, but it said nothing of the M3 SD.

-I have a flashed Phat. With both the Real and the perfect inserted, will it boot to the Real or will I have to flash it with the no-autoboot Flashme?

2. AXYPB

Member AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Look at the pinned thread concerning Sakura, the new firmware for the Real. If updates are maintained, the Real is in no danger of obsoletion any time soon.

I don't know about the second question, but there are packages available for the Real that include Slot-2 expansion and rumble packs. My guess is that unless the Perfect has PSRAM or something similar, it won't be recognized as a Slot-2 device by the Real's firmware and must be used independently. The default firmware has an option to boot to Slot-2 in either NDS or GBA mode, but Sakura at present does not.

FlashMe defaults to Slot-1, I believe, unless you have it configured to do otherwise. The Real allows booting to Slot-2 and bypassing the firmware by holding down a button as it boots.

3. nekkutta

Newcomer nekkutta Member

United States
    I honestly don't know, most slot-1 flashcarts now-a-days take control before the firmware can activate(I'm guessing since I haven't flashed mine and regardless if the default NDS firmware is set to auto boot cartridge or not, my M3 real will boot right before the whole press a button to continue when you turn the system on)
    I would say check the read-me for the flashing that you did to your NDS phat and see what it says. by default the original firmware boots slot-1 and if there is nothing in it, then it boots slot-2...

I am happy with the M3DS real, the gui could be a little quicker, but all in all I like it a lot more than my R4 that I had.

nekkutta