a few questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dispel, Feb 6, 2010.

Feb 6, 2010

a few questions by Dispel at 9:24 AM (1,428 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Dispel
    OP

Member Dispel GBAtemp Regular

Latvia
    Hello there, first post, I'll try to keep it professional [​IMG]

I'm relatively new to Wii soft-modding, managed to set some things up, but questions remain .. I did read a bunch of FAQs, but am still unclear to the answers

1) updating HBC .. used this FAQ - http://gwht.wikidot.com/homebrew-channel and HackMii Installer v0.6 to update my HBC 1.0.3 to 1.0.6 .. however http://hbc.hackmii.com/faq/ I encountered this
    I'm not 100% sure (I wasn't the only one who did soft-mods on this Wii), but I'm pretty sure there were cIOSCORP's in the past, yeah .. I'm on 4.0E (PAL Wii) atm .. basically I wanna get rid of cIOSCORP - all of them or just enough for bootmii to update my HBC
    what is the best way to do that, preferabbly w/o touching the rest of my soft-mods ? I heard that updating (I'd prefer to 4.1) can get rid of them ? that true ? if it is - what is the safest and best way to simply update to 4.1 ? (I do not have internet on my Wii) .. if it won't help, then nn to update, 4.0 is fine, but what should I do then ?

2) I load my backups from an external USB 250GB HDD .. it is in NTFS, with ~80-90GB being used for other files. I simply transfer my backups onto it using Wii backup manager and use Hermes cIOS to play - all's good .. however, CFG USB Loader, when it detects my NTFS partition, correctly recognizes the total size and all the games on it, BUT it always writes that I have 0.0GB free space on it, whereas I have ~140ish GB there .. is that supposed to happen ? because it's NTFS, or ? naturally I cannot install games on the HDD on the Wii itself, only through PC

3) not sure whether this should be asked here, but I already made a thread [​IMG] .. about playing Metroid Prime Trilogy from USB (HDD) w/o the alt-dol method .. so far I've been unsuccessfull .. why w/o ? 1) it's 'unclean' 2) I heard that makes only one save game possible at any point + the extra features of the menu don't work then .. I personally tried Hermes cIOS (both cIOS222 = IOS38 merged with IOS37 & cIOS 223 = IOS38 merged with IOS60 .. haven't tried just IOS38) + CFG USB Loader v51 on my NTFS USB HDD 250GB - no dice, it crashes back to HBC menu (I think) when I try to launch either game (but I mostly want MP1 & 2, since I already have MP3 separately) .. I'm pretty sure it works from a disc backup with fully functional menu - but I'd like to get it work from USB, if possible .. anyone had any luck ?

thanks in advance

2. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    1. The older v1/v2 cIOSCORP versions caused problems with the hackmii installer, so the hackmii installer nowadays refuses to run under fakesigned IOS. Download and run the cIOSCORP v3.x uninstaller, and use it to uninstall cIOSCORP (It can be used to uninstall any version, even v1/v2). Then run hackmii installer, install what you need, and then install cIOSCORP v3.6 to get disc channel loading ability back.

2. Currently, poeple don't quite know how buggy writing to NTFS via USB loaders is, so USB loaders' authors have not enabled write access to NTFS partitions, so you'll have to use your pc to transfer games.

3. There is currently no way to load MPT via USB without alt. dol, as whem MPT tries to load a game, it reloads the IOS (in it's case IOS55), which deactivates USB loading.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    NTFS writing can only be done on USB Loader GX I think
    But its still very buggy there too...

4. Dispel
    OP

Latvia
    thanks you guys

about cIOSCORP
    that's the ONLY thing it does ? loading through disc channel ? because I kinda don't need that [​IMG]

basically - removing (via their un-installer) cIOSCORP won't in any way brick my Wii/interfere with IOS or cIOS (and the ones needed for GC backups) ? as far as I understand cIOSCORP replaces official IOS'es, correct ? but uninstaller won't simply erase all of it ? ir will replace them back to the way they were pre-cIOSCORP ? I don't need anything other then cIOSCORP v3.x uninstaller ?

and one more thing - I read somewhere about update 4.2 and HBC versions - it said something like 4.2 will remove HBC 1.0.4 or older, but 1.0.5 & 1.0.6 are ok .. what about 4.1 ? i have HBC 1.0.3 atm - will installing 4.1 (most likely via WAD) do something to it ?

5. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    The uninstaller just puts the Original IOSs back

If you don't need Disc Channel backup launching, then why did you install cIOSCORP in the first place? [​IMG]

Sym 4.1 won't remove any HBC version
    But its still good to be up to date [​IMG]

6. Dispel
    OP

Latvia
    wasn't me who installed cIOSCORP ((

thanks for the answers !

7. Dispel
    OP

Latvia
    since MP Trilogy isn't playable w/o alt-dol from the USB - I'm thinking about a disc backup .. now :

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123307
    so to play MPT from disc - you need :
    - use alt-dol same as for USB
    - use cIOSCORP
    - patch game to IOS249 (does not work on 002 games)
    .. so :
    1) is there any other way for disc ? like maybe latest neogamma does it automatically or something ?
    2) wth is 'patch game to IOS249' (patch ISO before burning ?) ? and what are 002 games - is MPT one of them ?
    3) specifically for MPT I would need only cIOS55 from cIOSCORP ?

thanks

8. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    This might be a daft question, and slightly offtopic, for which I apologize, but hasn't anyone tried replacing the regular IOS 55 with something like IOS 249?

9. Dispel
    OP

Latvia
    I assume that is 'patch to IOS249' (q-n #2 in my post above), but apparently it only works for discs

10. Dispel
    OP

Latvia
    ok, I read about 002 games
    so basically trying to force a different IOS on a 002 game is a no-no ?
    1) is MPT a 002 game ?
    2) is patching the ISO prior to burning the only way to force another IOS or can a backup launcher do it 'on the fly' with an unmodified ISO ? say, Neogamma ?
    3) if I decide to use cIOSCORP for MPT (I don't really want to, cuz it modifies the official IOS'es but wth) - I will need only "IOS55 = IOS55 v5149 with rev14 DIP" from their 3.6 release list, correct ? http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=196...t=0&start=0 .. because MPT needs IOS55

11. Dispel
    OP

Latvia
    eh, bump

also, am I right in assuming that using cIOS rev17 + latest Neogamma automatically fixes 002 error, meaning you can freely force a different IOS on 002 games and no error will come out ?