Gaming A few questions..

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1. How does custom firmware work?
2. Whats the difference between a ripped ISO and a one bought off the playstation store?
3. What is the file format of PSP homebrew?
4. How does the official PSX emulator work?
5. What is the file format for a PSX game bought off the playstation store, and is it possible to downlaod one of them (illigaly) and play it without having to install anything at all?

6. Any other things i should know?

tyvm =]

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jademalo said:
1. How does custom firmware work?
2. Whats the difference between a ripped ISO and a one bought off the playstation store?
3. What is the file format of PSP homebrew?
4. How does the official PSX emulator work?
5. What is the file format for a PSX game bought off the playstation store, and is it possible to downlaod one of them (illigaly) and play it without having to install anything at all?

6. Any other things i should know?

tyvm =]
1. Well, firstly, you must have a PSP that has official Sony FW on it. Custom FW was made by a talented group of hackers, and allows you to do all sorts of wonderful (albeit, mostly pirate-like) things on your PSP, replacing Sony's official FW. This can be done by quite a few methods, the currently preferred method uses a softmodded battery to install CFW (Pandora Battery).

2. Well, a ripped ISO you can usually find anywhere on the internets. If you obtain one, and have CFW, you can simply copy it over to your memstick and run it on your PSP. Also, with an ISO, you can use various programs on a PC to modify the contents of the ISO (game). This is useful for trimming down the ISO size by removing useless content of the ripped ISO and you can even compress it into a playable file, a CSO (Compressed ISO). I don't have too much experience with the PS3 or the PSStore, but I'm almost certain that you can't carry your purchased games around as widely as you can with an ISO. As far as difference of content, there is none. The games are exactly the same, except you'll be paying for a legit copy on the PSStore and supporting the wonderful game development team behind it.
happy.gif

3. Almost all of them are usually EBOOT files, the same type that ripped PSP ISOs, and ripped PS1 games for the PSP are.

4. If I remember this correctly (I'm a little hazy
tongue.gif
), the OFFICIAL emulator requires you to buy a title from the PSStore and then transfer it over to the PSP using remote play or something like that. CFW allows you to find any PS1 ISO (even games that aren't on the PSStore, basically any PS1 game ever ripped from back in the day) and convert it with a program into an EBOOT, so that your PSP can play it. The PSP has near perfect PS1 emulation with most games.

5. Answered above. The only thing you would need to install would be the program to convert a PS1 ISO into a PSP EBOOT.

6. Umm... iono. Shoot some more questions this way if anything pops up!
happy.gif

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
if you need psp help try a PSP forum
http://www.psp-hacks.com/
is a good one

OFW CANT run homemade ps1 eboots
the ones you make by ripping your game CD to cd images( img/sub/ccd, bin/cue) and coverting them to eboots with an app like psx2psp 1.4

there are a few psp game on the PSN they are formated as eboots and they have DRM

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ryupower said:
if you need psp help try a PSP forum
http://www.psp-hacks.com/
is a good one

OFW CANT run homemade ps1 eboots
the ones you make by ripping your game CD to cd images( img/sub/ccd, bin/cue) and coverting them to eboots with an app like psx2psp 1.4

there are a few psp game on the PSN they are formated as eboots and they have DRM
FOR the LOVE of GOD do not go to PSP-hacks.com all their guides are horribly outdated. I would recommend exophase.com. Sadly I can't really recommend GBAtemp as a good source of PSP info. Hopefully that will change soon though, cause I really want GBAtemp to expand to other consoles.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of PSP-Hacks' guides might be a little outdated, but a number of the users keep their own personal guides frequently updated.

I would suggest instead going to PSP-Hacks' IRC chat room, where there are a number of these users who can help you live and on the spot.

You can find them at #PSP-Hacks on irc.dashhacks.com
wink.gif

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wow, thanks everyone! =D

one more, does the official PSX game DRM protection tie it to YOUR PSP only or something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu