A few questions: saves, cheats, AKAIO, from a first-time user!

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by luciobar1980, Sep 17, 2009.

1. luciobar1980
    OP

Newcomer luciobar1980 Newbie

United States
    Hey guys, so I finally took the plunge and ordered an Acekard 2.1. I am an old-school gamer, grew up playing the NES. My main (pretty much only) reason for getting the Acekard is to play NES and GB games on my DS. I've been reading up on this stuff for a couple of days but I'm still a bit confused on a few things. I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed and was looking to have a few questions (hopefully) cleared up for me. Any help is greatly appreciated! [​IMG] So here goes:

1) I ordered the card with the latest firmware already installed. (official firmware). I've been reading up on AkAIO and it seems it might be a better choice. The first step to install AKAIO, as I've read, is to format the card with the Panasonic SD Formatter. My question is this: I am a Mac user, and therefore cannot use the Panasonic program. Is it absolutely necessary, or can use my MAC software to format the card?

2) How does saving of NES and GB games work? Can I save at any point in any game, or does it save only in games that have a save feature? Then, how do I load the saved game?

3) How do I use cheats? This isn't extremey important, but I'm sure once in a while I'll want to use a cheat code. Are there cheats built-in for NES and GB games? I've read about cheats, but where do they come from? Are they built in or do I have to download them and install them onto the card somehow?

Thanks guys! I know it was kind of longwinded but I would really appreciate any help! Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    1.) its not really necessary, previously i didnt did that, i toss it into my kinda old sd card and it works pretty fine.

2.) not sure

3.)Akaio wiki.
    i have no idea
    As for where cheats come from, why, hackers make them of cos and usually,
    nope, they are not built in,
    so u have to download them yourself.

3. Pendor

Member Pendor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    1) What mrfatso said. It's advised but not entirely necessary.

2) Both nesds and lameboy have rts on their respective menus, iirc.

3) Just DS. Download the latest USRCHEAT.DAT from cheats.gbatemp.net and copy the file to the cheats folder.

4. luciobar1980
    OP

United States
    Thanks guys.. one more question.. to play DS roms on my DS, do I need to add any software to the card or can I just throw the ROM on the card and boot it up?

Also, with a Acekard 2.1, do I need a "passkey" or no? I figure I do but I'm not sure.

Just curious, as I noted I'll mostly be playing NES and GB games [​IMG]

5. Pendor

Member Pendor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just the firmware. Then copy the roms to the sd and that's it.

6. luciobar1980
    OP

United States
    Thanks for all your help guys. One last question if you'd be so kind. [​IMG] So I downloaded some DS Roms, and when I extracted the RAR files, there were some other files in there as well.. such as .sfv, .r01, .nfo.. do I need any of these? Do I need to put them onto the micro sd card as well or can I just toss them? Thanks for all your help! [​IMG]

7. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    You actually just got a packed scene release. The files you extracted there are not the rom dump itself, but another layer of packing. The .sfv is a list of checksums to verify file integrity, the .nfo is a text file describing the rom dump you have downloaded and the .r?? files are a split archive, extract the first of them (most likely another .rar file) with all the other files in the same folder and it should yield a .nds file, which is the actual ROM dump as it appears on the Game Card in Nintendo's .srl format.

8. luciobar1980
    OP

United States
    Okay, so the .nds file is all I need to load onto the flash card?

9. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    yes and you can even out them in files like nes game for the nes , gameboy games for the gameboy so there no confusion