A few questions (I'm new to softmodding)

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by cooliver69, Jan 31, 2012.

Jan 31, 2012
  1. cooliver69
    OP

Newcomer cooliver69 Newbie

United States
    Solved

Last edited by cooliver69, Feb 22, 2016
  2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Softmod your Wii using ModMii to ensure that all your IOS'es are up to date and proper cIOS'es are installed, then install USB Loader GX, WiiFlow or Configurable USB Loader. Neogamma is typically for playing disc backups as far as I know.

3. cooliver69
    OP

United States
    I used letterbomb + hackmii + prii loader to hack my wii. If I try to use modmii will it mess anything up? Do I need to undo what I did first? Is using modmii as safe as using priiloader? Is it easy to brick your wii using modmii?

4. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It will mess up nothing. Run the wizard on the PC and call your wii a virgin one. It will download everything you need, inc a guide

5. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Why are people still using that program? It hasn't been updated in years!

Here's the thing...over 2 years ago, it became possible to use a normal, FAT32 drive on a wii, which means you won't have to screw around with that WBFS partitioning that windows just loves to erase. Later on, it became possible to use NTFS as well, though that's not quite as popular, as most other homebrew work just on FAT32.

The thing is: iso's still needed to be converted (unless you were using NTFS). This new partitioning was called .wbfs (note the dot to indicate the extension: it's a file called game.wbfs). WBFS manager remained unchanged, but other programs like wii backup manager did the job just as well.

So...there you have it. If you don't want to recreate your partitioning table, simply use wii backup manager to convert that .wbfs file to iso...or even put it directly on your WBFS partition (I'm not sure if it can do the latter).

As to the modmii argument: modmii isn't so much a hack as it is a swiss army knife that combines a lot of tools into one program (eg. you can use it to easily download and prepare the files from letterbomb, hackmii and/or priiloader).

If things don't work, it's usually the best procedure to (indeed) just treat your wii as a virgin. In fact, as long as you don't try to undo your hacks first, things will be fine.

To answer the two last questions: modmii doesn't actually do anything on your wii. It's just the pc end. Once it's finished, it leaves you with a "To_SD" folder, a "to_USB" folder and a guide on what you need to do on your wii. This may (and most likely will) involve priiloader, so it's literally just as safe to use. ;-)

As for safety...I'd say that it's pretty hard to actually use modmii to brick your wii even if you wanted to. It's updated so often that every mention of something potentially dangerous gets picked up and either removed or at least added a bunch of warnings.

6. cooliver69
    OP

United States
    Ok, thanks for all the help guys ^_^ had to choose force ntsc and now all my games work. appreciate all the help.

7. cooliver69
    OP

United States
    Fixed. sorry for double post