A few questions before I get started putting CFW on my 3ds.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dalrint, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Dalrint
    OP

Dalrint Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    Just trying to settle my anxiety before I bite the bullet on this. I've done a lot of psp and wii/wii u things but never touched my 3DS.

I have a new 3ds on 11.2.0-35U, which as far as I can tell means this is still doable, yes?

So a few questions.

1. I have been seeing that 128gb is the largest size people seem to recommend for using in the 3ds. I was going to order one, should I get it, make it my 3DS sd card, and then use that to do the cfw things, or should I do the cfw stuff on my current 32gb, and then upgrade once I have the new card?

2. https://3ds.guide/ - This is the guide I should be using, right?

3. Is there anything I should expect to lose access to once I have CFW? Like online features or streetpass or the eshop? Can my 3DS/NNID get banned for having CFW on my system?

I...think that's it. Thanks for humoring me.

Last edited by Dalrint, Feb 4, 2017
  2. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    1) Any size works as long as its in Fat32. I have a 200 GB micro in mine. Use a 32 GB or smaller card to install a9lh first tho. Large cards can have problems. Switch after completing the guide.

2) Yes

3) No. You can get banned by cheating online or going online with an unreleased game (looks at pokemon bans), but not for going online with a "backup."

Last edited by MadMageKefka, Feb 4, 2017
  3. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    Also modded games. Don't go online with custom roms. like edited Pokemon releases or undubs of JRPG games and the like.

4. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    For the third question, as long as you don't cheat online and do obvious things which would be suspected to get you banned,

PLUS - DO NOT go online with a game in your region if it is not yet released, bans occurred for people who did this with Pokemon SuMo..

Although, out of region games i think the same rule doesn't apply, as long as its officially released?

5. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    also dont steal in app purchases . . . pirating dlc is cool (safe) though

proflayton123 likes this.
  6. vinstage

vinstage Falling in Reverse

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    부산
    Your last question is basically if you go online with unreleased games/hacked games/modded games. (Okay, most the Pokémon SuMo bans are GREAT examples.)

Also 3ds.guide (like I say to pretty much everyone) will be your bestfriend. Follow the instructions really closely... :)

7. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Cosmetic mods like textures, translations, or sounds should be fine online. I go online with the english translated DQM: Terry's Wonderland all the time with no issue.

8. OfficialBrony

OfficialBrony

Banned
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    Hiw can you have a 200gig card when it goes to 256gig after 128gig?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

9. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Last edited by MadMageKefka, Feb 5, 2017
  10. Dalrint
    OP

Dalrint Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    I got it all set up and it's working. Thanks for answering, everyone. Now to just sort out how to dump my carts.

11. OfficialBrony

OfficialBrony

Banned
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    You can use Decrypt9.
    Just make sure you have the Decrypt9.bin in your Luma folder and name it up_decrypt9.bin

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk