Homebrew A Few Questions .. Are there any HB apps that improve the Screen >?<

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there was once a homebrew program to increase the screen brightness (or maybe it was part of NTR?), but going to the brightness settings would crash the device as it didn't know what number to press in the menu.
There's nothing that could make the screen better though, not only is it impossible to add pixels to a screen without replacing the entire screen, but the 3DS doesn't have the memory to handle anything larger than 240p screens.

Reactions: SuperDan

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there was once a homebrew program to increase the screen brightness (or maybe it was part of NTR?), but going to the brightness settings would crash the device as it didn't know what number to press in the menu.
There's nothing that could make the screen better though, not only is it impossible to add pixels to a screen without replacing the entire screen, but the 3DS doesn't have the memory to handle anything larger than 240p screens.
I actually meant brightness for the most part .. I got curious over the weekend after seeing a YouTube video which increases the Max Brightness to level 6.. But it was a old video & a update broke the trick

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
There is a Luma fork somewhere which has a patch that allows to increase the brightness on new3DS without resetting it one second later, but I think it was abandoned because it kept crashing gsp.

There is also a setting which changes the color response of the sreen, but it behaves differently on each 3DS I try, and sometimes it just randomly becomes very green, so it's quite unreliable.

The LCD is really undocumented, and I can't figure out what most of the settings do. There are definitely ways to make the screen better, but not by much. And let's not even get into 3D mode, that changes everything.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough.. It's a tricky situation & no simple fix . As for the 3D . I actually like it on most games I have a new 3ds xl.. I never did try the old one .. Most people don't enjoy it . But I think it gives games a nice pop to them .. I still have over 100 or more games on my N3DS that I not tried yet .... thought I would give monster hunter generations a go .. & the dinosaurs really looked good.. In 3D. The 3ds is a system I just wasn't sure of or had no interest really... I've had a hacked ps vita for ages .. I guess the OLED screen is what I'm used to for handhelds .. But saying all that I'm loving my new 3ds.. Graphics are much better than I imagined . I'm just seeing if I could beef them up

Last edited by SuperDan,

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There was a release a couple weeks ago that let you sharpen the screen (or otherwise use a variety of filters) when playing DS(i) games. I think there were some updates or variations of it shortly afterward so I'm not exactly sure where it's posted.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a release a couple weeks ago that let you sharpen the screen (or otherwise use a variety of filters) when playing DS(i) games. I think there were some updates or variations of it shortly afterward so I'm not exactly sure where it's posted.
I will have a dig through Google... & report back

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

That's only changing the upscale matrix used for scaling up DS games from 256x192 to 320x240 (or 384x240 if using the widescreen patch), but it doesn't actually influence how the display panel itself behaves or looks like.

I think that OP wants to make the display panel quality better in 3DS mode, which is possible, but the outcome is disappointing, and almost all settings in the LCD itself (not relevant to the LCD signal, but the display panel itself) are undocumented, unknown, and most of them have absolutely no visible effect when changed, so something the OP asks for is not possible yet.
The only thing possible is brightness increase (which has been done before), but the patches are abandoned to my knowledge because they crash gsp (Graphics Server/Service Process, basically the graphics and LCD driver (not really, but the details are irrelevant)). The other problem with the patching the brightness is that 3D mode requires different brightness curves, because the 3D grills block most of the light, so the backlight has to be compensated for the lost "appearent" brightness.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's only changing the upscale matrix used for scaling up DS games from 256x192 to 320x240 (or 384x240 if using the widescreen patch), but it doesn't actually influence how the display panel itself behaves or looks like.
Well written sir... I was just wondering if there was a registration trick a bit like on ps vita . With the registry editor app you could change a few things & it helps to increase the saturation on the screen ect

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well written sir... I was just wondering if there was a registration trick a bit like on ps vita . With the registry editor app you could change a few things & it helps to increase the saturation on the screen ect...

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Well written sir... I was just wondering if there was a registration trick a bit like on ps vita . With the registry editor app you could change a few things & it helps to increase the saturation on the screen ect...

Nope. You can change these, but they won't be restored on reboot because they aren't saved anywhere, they are either hardcoded in software, or in the hardware itself.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the registry editor app you could change a few things & it helps to increase the saturation on the screen ect..
That's because you're changing settings only meant to be changed by PSTV users for full color range or limited. The 3DS doesn't arbitrarily limit the colors like the Vita does, so you can't do the same thing here.

Reactions: Sono and SuperDan

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm aware of the difference, but mentioned it anyway because it's analogous to what OP was asking. Thanks for the clear response though.

The other problem with the patching the brightness is that 3D mode requires different brightness curves, because the 3D grills block most of the light, so the backlight has to be compensated for the lost "appearent" brightness.
I've been wondering about that! I didn't know the 3DS's pixel geometry and figured it had to compensate when displaying two sets of "half pixels". You can sort of see a dip in brightness whenever the barrier's misaligned.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the information is good to a New Owner of a N3DS ive basically hacked everything i can over the years .... & just thought the 3ds would be sub par ( i bought a dsi a long long time ago ) ........just had no interest really .... but since i hacked my younger sons one .... i just had to have one myself .... ... it simply is a great system .. with a tasty line up of classics .... always been a Nintendo fan

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I've been wondering about that! I didn't know the 3DS's pixel geometry and figured it had to compensate when displaying two sets of "half pixels". You can sort of see a dip in brightness whenever the barrier's misaligned.

Well, it's not actually a "half" pixel, but the screen is actually 800x240 interlaced (hence the screen stretches out on the 2DS), and there is a grid which acts like a mirror or a polarizer, so it blocks any light which is going in the wrong direction (so you don't see the left eye lines leaking into the right eye view).
I know the 3DS' screen isn't CRT, but Technology Connections explains this phenomenon on shadow-mask CRTs. This is almost the same reason why the brightness has to be increased for the screen appear the same brightness as it was before the switch to 3D mode, except that on the 3DS there are vertical lines blocking the image (this image from Sharp (the original manufacturer of 3D 3DS screens) shows it really well). This also explains why the screen has a bright flash after exiting from 3D mode (because for some reason the grill is turned off before the backligt is adjusted).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr