A few questions after Softmodding 4.0E

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dthreev, Jun 15, 2009.

Jun 15, 2009
  1. dthreev
    OP

Newcomer dthreev Newbie

Australia
    Hi people!

I successfully softmodded my friends 4.0E wii this weekend - was quite an ordeal, but mainly because I'm a nub when it comes to modding [​IMG]

From the ordeal came a few quick questions:[*]Is there some sort of definitive guide about what IOS and cIOS are, and what the different numbers mean? I probably don't really need to know, just interested [​IMG]
    [*]After hours of trying to figure it out myself, I eventually stumbled across THIS guide to do the softmod - Now, if my friend ever wanted to revert back to their original settings (for whatever reason), besides just deleting HBC and any other channels, is there anything else that would need to be done?
    [*]I've already disabled automatic updates and told him not to update when a new game asks him too - but just in case - what is the harm of doing so?
    Will it simply stop things like WADs from being installed, or is there a chance of bricking?
    [*]I've seriously looked around for this, but I can't find anywhere that will say how easy it is to revert back from installing BootMii as boot2. Can it be done?
    [*]And finally, I tried to run BootMii as an IOS, but the controller doesn't work (something to do with no bluetooth drivers), and I don't have a GC controller handy. Does everyone else have GC controllers, or am I missing something here...
    Thanks heaps for your time [​IMG]

2. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    1.) http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=128...p;#entry1696827

2.) Deleting the channels normally through the system menu won't really do anything to REALLY get rid of the channel as the ticket of the channel will still be on it. Virginizing a Wii requires you to at least have some knowledge of what you've put on it in the first place. NEVER delete any IOS. basically what you would need to do is downgrade back to 3.2 through IOS and cIOS downgrader, use the wad's of any CHANNELS you installed to uninstall them. (Don't uninstall any wad's you used dealing with IOS's.) Delete your cIOS (IOS's above 200). Then delete the HAXX ticket with anytitledeleter (that's the ticket of the HBC.)

Generally "whatever" reason won't be a good one anyways though so I wouldn't bother trying to get rid of stuff anyways.

3.) It SHOULDN'T brick you or anything, but it could disable some of your homebrew things by patching certain IOS's or something. Generally there's always something you can install yourself to get around what a game needs to update.

4.) The easiest way to get a virgin Wii would be having bootmii. If installing bootmii to boot2 and making a nand backup was the FIRST thing you did on the wii before doing anything else, then you can just do a nand restore with that nand.bin and you will get rid of EVERYTHING you've done after that point (including save game progress) This requires that you have already made that nand.bin of your virgin state Wii, and no other Wii's nand.bin's will not work. Each Wii is encrypted with different keys. Once you do the nand restore you can run the hackmii installer to uninstall bootmii at that point (though there's REALLY no reason to do that.)

5.) Wiimote will never work with bootmii period. (At least I think it isn't possible, but it won't work at the moment and that's all that matters for now) You NEED a GC controller for the IOS version or you're not doing anything through that. With the boot2 version however you can use the face buttons on the Wii to control it. (Power to go right and reset to select).

3. dthreev
    OP

Newcomer dthreev Newbie

Australia
    Thank you very much, very helpful response [​IMG]
    I'll have to go through that epic IOS post at home. can't pretend im working while reading through that [​IMG]

I had a feeling I should have done that BoorMii NAND backup first, but I was too scared to mess with the boot2 at that stage [​IMG]

Anyway, thanks again!!