A few questions about Wii Clip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by War, Jul 25, 2008.

Jul 25, 2008

A few questions about Wii Clip by War at 6:31 PM (1,834 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I've had a Wii forever, but at the moment I can't go around buying games for economical reasons.... and i've been stuck with Brawl and RE4 for the past year or so, lol. So this is my question...

How much do WiiClips run? Do they come with a soldered in chip, or is that extra? (I imagine so...)
    Does the WiiClip work for all types of Wiis? I have a D2B, IIRC.
    Is it hard to instal if it has a chip pre-soldered? Or is it literally just "clipping" it into place?

As for the Wii games...
    Is it as simple as downloading the game and burning it on to a DL DVD?

Thanks!

2. legend101

Member legend101 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    it depend on what modchip you get with wii-clip that determine the compatibility . it easy to install. it charge extra to get the chip presoldered to the clip. wii game download and burn

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Well, I was planning on getting the Wiiclip + Wiikey (pre-soldered) + Tri-Wing screwdriver package found here.

I don't know which modchip is best, but Wiikey sounds amazing, and it works for D2B.

4. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Go to OzModChips and get a Wii-Clip with a WiiKey soldered on and delivery for £36 (convert to appropriate currency). I've just bought it. Yes, it basically just clips on and then it will work perfectly. All you need to do then is download the appropriate Wii game from the internet and it'll work.

5. Cjuub

Member Cjuub GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    And Wii isos use normal DVDs, not DL.
    Well, except for Brawl.

6. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Thats exactly what I got and it works fine. I just put mine in from ModChipCentral about a week ago, Ihaven't had any problems to report except for some burned games not working sometimes (which is expected).

7. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    When did you order it, and how long did it take to arrive?

Also, you said that you burned some games and they didn't work... did they work after reburning them, or did they just not work at all with Wiikey?

8. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    I ordered it on July 3rd and it took about 2 weeks to arrive (they said 1 week on their site) but it was probably because of customs. The games work but sometimes you just need to take the game out and put it in a few times. I only usually have probably with that on Boom Blox but all my other burned games work fine.

9. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Check this out...it's half the price of ozmodchips & presoldered, and it's nice and small (the modchip is built into the clip, instead of sticking out). There's only one downside, you need a PC with a parallel port to program the chip (they come un-programmed, but a programmer is included with the modchip), but there's lots of info out there on how to program it. you can pick from YAOSM, OpenWii, other modchip firmwares, etc

key clip & free clip on dealextreme

10. jhoff80

Member jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just looking at that link, there's a serial port programmer version listed too it seems. I think serial ports are more common than parallel ones these days.

11. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Jeklnoo, I really don't want to waste my time with that. I'm HORRIBLE with computers, just opening the damn Wii is gonna be enough trouble for me xD So I jsut want something simple, pre-soldered, that will require very minimal handy work from my part.

Thank you to everyone that replied!

12. fiveighteen

Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

United States
    That's the same as what I ordered as well for my DMS Wii. I think it came within a week, or just over (due to it being a weekend when it was supposed to come), from ModChipCentral in Manitoba, Canada to Michigan, USA. It was very simple to install and all of the burned games I've tried have worked so far (Boom Blox, Guitar Hero III Customs, Bully: Scholarship Edition). Just be very patient when installing it. I took a little over an hour to do it, following an online tutorial and making sure I knew where every screw came from and what fit on where. The WiiClip installs very easily, just pops right on.

Have fun modding your Wii!

13. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    I'd just go for the quicksolder on the Wiikey. Saves $$$. Either that or use wires.

14. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Wow, does it take that long to disassemble the Wii?

15. wchill

United States
    It takes about 15 minutes, at least for me.
    It's cause of all the screws and taking off the pads, you get the point.

16. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I guess it makes sense that for someone who is opening the Wii for the first time, it would take that long. Ah well, it will all be worth it in the end [​IMG]

17. wchill

United States
    Might want to have some wax paper handy so that the adhesive on the pads stays nice and fresh.