Hacking Question A few questions about updating Emunand to 9.2.0.

MXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys.

I have a few questions regarding updating my emunand to 9.2.0 and I really would appreciate if you could spare a few moments to answer it.

My Switch is currently on firmware 5.1.0 (Sysnand) and 8.1.0 (Emunand). I would like to update only my emunand to 9.2.0, while keeping the sysnand untouched. However, I've read that updating the firmware to 9.0.0+ would update the game card slot (Lotus), rendering it useless on previous firmwares. I am a SXOS user (mostly because of Custom/Super XCI and HDD support), that don't have the NOGC feature, unlike in Atmosphere. My Emunand was created on SXOS and it's the one that has all archives stored on my SD card (not the hidden partition one). My questions are the following:

1) Regarding the game card slot update, if I update only the emunand to 9.2.0, would I risk bricking the sysnand if I boot up the Switch in FW 5.1.0 without using the dongle/payload, or the only downside is going to not be able to play my retail games on the sysnand? (I fear that the fuse burn of lotus could be checked with the fuse burn of 5.1.0, resulting on a possible brick)

2) The fuse burn of the game card slot could affect a possible future restoration of the sysnand or could it render my sysnand unable of updating in the future?

3) A little offtopic, but every time before updating my emunand I backup it on my PC by copying and pasting the folder containing it. Is this the right procedure to do? Like, if it corrupts on a failed update I just need to delete it from my SD card and copy/paste the backup and it is going to be restored?

4) Lastly, I've reading and seeing some tutoriais on YouTube, and some of them says that you should not use SXOS together with Choidujournx to update the Switch, because it can corrupt the sysnand/emunand. Does this information contains the truth or are they just outdated? My emunand was created on SXOS and I updated it twice (5.1->7.0 / 7.0->8.1) with no issues with SXOS + Choi.

Thanks in advance!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys.

I have a few questions regarding updating my emunand to 9.2.0 and I really would appreciate if you could spare a few moments to answer it.

My Switch is currently on firmware 5.1.0 (Sysnand) and 8.1.0 (Emunand). I would like to update only my emunand to 9.2.0, while keeping the sysnand untouched. However, I've read that updating the firmware to 9.0.0+ would update the game card slot (Lotus), rendering it useless on previous firmwares. I am a SXOS user (mostly because of Custom/Super XCI and HDD support), that don't have the NOGC feature, unlike in Atmosphere. My Emunand was created on SXOS and it's the one that has all archives stored on my SD card (not the hidden partition one). My questions are the following:

1) Regarding the game card slot update, if I update only the emunand to 9.2.0, would I risk bricking the sysnand if I boot up the Switch in FW 5.1.0 without using the dongle/payload, or the only downside is going to not be able to play my retail games on the sysnand? (I fear that the fuse burn of lotus could be checked with the fuse burn of 5.1.0, resulting on a possible brick)

2) The fuse burn of the game card slot could affect a possible future restoration of the sysnand or could it render my sysnand unable of updating in the future?

3) A little offtopic, but every time before updating my emunand I backup it on my PC by copying and pasting the folder containing it. Is this the right procedure to do? Like, if it corrupts on a failed update I just need to delete it from my SD card and copy/paste the backup and it is going to be restored?

4) Lastly, I've reading and seeing some tutoriais on YouTube, and some of them says that you should not use SXOS together with Choidujournx to update the Switch, because it can corrupt the sysnand/emunand. Does this information contains the truth or are they just outdated? My emunand was created on SXOS and I updated it twice (5.1->7.0 / 7.0->8.1) with no issues with SXOS + Choi.

Thanks in advance!
  1. The only thing the Lotus updates do is prevents cartridges from being used on firmware versions below the one that is presently installed. Currently there are 2 Lotus updates, one in firmware 4.0 and one in firmware 9.0. It is also very hard to brick the Switch
  2. Read the above point
  3. Not necessarily. You do not have to back it up every time before updating your emuMMC
  4. This was an issue with older versions of SX OS. This is why you should never ever follow or trust any information from video guides especially ones that originate from YouTube

Reactions: MXD

MXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. The only thing the Lotus updates do is prevents cartridges from being used on firmware versions below the one that is presently installed. Currently there are 2 Lotus updates, one in firmware 4.0 and one in firmware 9.0. It is also very hard to brick the Switch
  2. Read the above point
  3. Not necessarily. You do not have to back it up every time before updating your emuMMC
  4. This was an issue with older versions of SX OS. This is why you should never ever follow or trust any information from video guides especially ones that originate from YouTube

Thank you very much, Draxzelex man. You helped me so much, bro. I was really worried about this that I haven't even been sleeping well these last days and now, thanks to you, I've sucessfully updated my Emunand to 9.2.0 without any issues. Thank you so very much, my bro, you have really saved me. :D

Reactions: Draxzelex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey