A few questions about Moonshell and DSOrganize on R4DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by andy123, Jun 27, 2010.

1. andy123
    OP

Newcomer andy123 Newbie

Canada
    I'm currently have an R4DS with firmwire version 1.18 which I bought in December 2009.
    I put DSOrganize on my R4DS and placed a few radio streams from di.fm onto my card.
    I downloaded both the AAC .pls files and the MP3 .pls files.
    The AAC .pls files won't play at all. The status stops at buffering stream and then skip to the next title on the playlist
    The MP3 .pls files will play. The Vocal Trance radio stream plays fine, but the Classic Eurodance stream plays a little bit but then has random errors ( sometimes it's a red screen that says "Guru Meditation Error! data abort!" other times, it plays a little bit, stops, the starts playing again, stops again, etc...)
    I'm wondering if this is a bug in the .nds file or is it caused by Moonshell, since DSOrganize requires Moonshell.

About Moonshell:
    I think I'm using an older version but I don't know which one. When I startup my R4DS, and select Multimedia, the screen says loading, then turns white and freezes, so I have to turn the DS off and on again. In other words, Moonshell doesn't work.
    I can play .mp3 files in DSOrganize though.
    So I'm thinking I should update Moonshell to the latest version.
    Do I just follow the "Setup Guide/Instructions" in the Moonshell 2 FAQ, Guide and Index?
    Code:
    http://gbatemp.net/t163493-moonshell-2-faq-guide-and-index
    If yes, should I delete the original moonshell folder or should I keep it.

Any help would be appreciated and can someone try testing out how the Classic Eurodance and Eurodance playlist file on di.fm to see how it plays on DSOrganize on their card.

One final question. Can you use the homebrew app, Dissonance, to play online radio streams, like the ones on di.fm?

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    I've never tried streaming music, so I can't really help you there, but DSOrganize doesn't need Moonshell to work correctly at all (not for playing mp3, and not for anything else either. DSO can be standalone).

For moonshell, even if it is an older version, it should work correctly with your R4. Possibly try reformatting your microSD and dldi patching the _DS_MSHL.NDS...In any case, I recommend using Moonshell2 anyways (since I've always been a fan of it). You could follow the instructions from the Moonshell2 FAQ, Guide and Index or you could just use the setup.exe (I prefer manually doing the stuff so if it screws up, I know I did something wrong). If you do use Moonshell2, you do not need the older files (so you can delete the original moonshell folder if you don't want it).

An extra thing that is recommended is to use Xenon++'s alternative moonshell2 loader available here in the mshl2pack_r30 rather than the alternative one provided in the original Moonshell2 download (you have to use an alternative loader because the R4 along with several other flashcarts don't work correctly with the default loader...in which they don't play sound of any kind out from the speakers).

Just a thought, but you could update your R4's "firmware" to WoodR4 or YSMenu if you wanted to (both have better compatibility with games), but if you don't really care about that, it shouldn't have any harmful effects anyways.

3. newtkiller

Newcomer newtkiller Member

United States
    it also sounds like you grabbed the latest version of DSO, which I've heard has issues with memory, I'd suggest downgrading to 3.119 (or whatever the newest old version is) and that issue won't occurr

4. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    just use moonshell for video and music and for irc use clirc DSO is too annoying

5. andy123
    OP

Newcomer andy123 Newbie

Canada
    Thank you jurassicplayer for the instructions for installing Moonshell2. I finally got it to work. There was a problem and I fixed it by using Windows CheckDisk. Moonshell2 can play m4a files perfectly, but don't always play in DSorganize. On the other hand, aac files don't play at all in Moonshell2, and also don't always play in DSorganize. I think it's because the bitrate is too high, but they are at 128kbps. It also could be the converter I'm using. (dBpoweramp). If anyone knows why, please reply to this thread.

EDIT: I found out that .ogg files are fully compatible on Moonshell2, DSorganize, and LMP-ng (the iPod clone). So now, I'm converting all my music to 64kbps Ogg Vorbis audio files (so I can put more songs on my micro-SD card). I like this format since it has fairly good quality at low bitrates.