Hacking A few questions about Gateway and EmuNAND before I get stuff done

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know, I know.

This stuff has probably all been asked around before, and people are probably sick to death of seeing threads like this.

I'll be honest, I'm lazy and don't wanna start searching around for each individual answer, and would rather get it all packed into this thread.

Anywho.

I'm going to be receiving a Gateway 3DS very soon (tracking says it's en route to my destination or something), my firmware is 9.2U, using a 3DS XL - Smash Bros RED.
I have twiddled about a little with the NINJHAX exploit, but I wanna move onto something bigger, like this.

I am likely going to do the exploits that allow me to downgrade my 3DSXL to 4.5 and then make emuNAND on it and have fun with that to make it whatever future firmware and so on.

My questions are:

1. What is going to happen with my currently owned stuff on my 3DS? Such as DLC, updates, eShop titles, Friend List, save data, etc.
Will it be lost? Is there a way to keep it all?

2. When I have finally made the installations and changes, how do I go about messing around with the emuNAND with making it reach higher firmwares and such, without it losing the ability to actually use my Gateway and CIA files?

3. After all is said and done, am I still able to use my physical retail carts and eShop games like normal? Such as getting updates for them, buying stuff on the eShop or redeeming from Club Nintendo (or whatever they call it when the new service comes out) and so on.

Once again, I do apologize if these questions have been asked in the past. I'm just really anxious about what can be done, as I have been waiting for a Flash Cart or means to region-free for the 3DS ever since the handheld first launched.

Thank you for your time.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. What is going to happen with my currently owned stuff on my 3DS? Such as DLC, updates, eShop titles, Friend List, save data, etc.
Will it be lost? Is there a way to keep it all?

2. When I have finally made the installations and changes, how do I go about messing around with the emuNAND with making it reach higher firmwares and such, without it losing the ability to actually use my Gateway and CIA files?

3. After all is said and done, am I still able to use my physical retail carts and eShop games like normal? Such as getting updates for them, buying stuff on the eShop or redeeming from Club Nintendo (or whatever they call it when the new service comes out) and so on.

1. If you make your emunand before downgrading, all your stuff pertaining to your NNID will stay and be usable on emunand. If you downgrade first, you may have to re-setup some stuff (including your NNID) and might have to redownload, but I'm not sure. If you got ambassador stuff, idk either.

2. Emunand right now supports up to 9.4. Whenever nintendo releases a new firmware, check back here to see if it breaks emunand before updating (btw, always have a backup of a working emunand in case you do update and accidentally break it). If a new firmware breaks emunand, you have to wait for gateway to release a new launcher to support it.

To update emunand, boot into emunand and go to system settings, make sure it says "GW3D" in front of the fw version, then update through wifi without getting out of system settings. Do not update through a game cart, it may update sysnand. Or you can follow a guide to do it that way if necessary.

3. Physical retail carts can be used in classic mode (hold L while launching gateway), and your eshop games should be usable from emunand. But beware, your retail cart saves will not work if you downgrade because of the different save encryption. You will have to start over any game that you played on >6.x firmware. If it's a cart 2 game, I think there's a way to use your save, I'm not sure.

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the answers.

Besides being able to go into Gateway offline, is there any reasons to downgrade?

Cause what it sounds like, I should just use current Gateway and just CIA any updates for certain games or DLCs (like
Smash or ORAS), if I want to keep my save file and such. (Smash is cart and AS is eShop)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thank you for the answers.

Besides being able to go into Gateway offline, is there any reasons to downgrade?

Cause what it sounds like, I should just use current Gateway and just CIA any updates for certain games or DLCs (like
Smash or ORAS), if I want to keep my save file and such. (Smash is cart and AS is eShop)
if you have retail and eshop stuff you want to not risk loosing saves etc off, it would be better to just stick to the web exploit and classic mode as your retail saves will be safe......hopefully they release a offline exploit for 4.x+ users though....or fix all the save encryption stuff....that would work too

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you have retail and eshop stuff you want to not risk loosing saves etc off, it would be better to just stick to the web exploit and classic mode as your retail saves will be safe......hopefully they release a offline exploit for 4.x+ users though....or fix all the save encryption stuff....that would work too

Classic Mode is just slotting in the game like normal, without doing the exploit to go into Gateway Mode, right?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Classic Mode is just slotting in the game like normal, without doing the exploit to go into Gateway Mode, right?
kinda...but it also enables FW spoofing and emunand, so you can play retail games in emunand 9.4 for example, just hold L when triggering the exploit to go to the gateway menu and select classic mode.....its somewhat less relevant now as it was for 4.x users, but its handy if you need eshop updates or whatever to play online without updating sysnand

so to use classic mode you still need to do the exploit, it just allows retail cards in emunand....no harm playing them in sysnand if you dont need patches to play online or already have them

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kinda...but it also enables FW spoofing and emunand, so you can play retail games in emunand 9.4 for example, just hold L when triggering the exploit to go to the gateway menu and select classic mode.....its somewhat less relevant now as it was for 4.x users, but its handy if you need eshop updates or whatever to play online without updating sysnand

so to use classic mode you still need to do the exploit, it just allows retail cards in emunand....no harm playing them in sysnand if you dont need patches to play online or already have them

Is there an indepth tutorial on how to differentiate between the two and such?

And how much, roughly does emuNAND take up in space?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Is there an indepth tutorial on how to differentiate between the two and such?

And how much, roughly does emuNAND take up in space?
1 gb....its always good to use emunand, its like a little safety net against accidental updates, and also means you can access eshop etc while keeping sysnand on 9.2 or lower as you can update to 9.4 in emunand
have a look through this thread to get the general idea
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-t...ga-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/unread

read up before you try it, and make sure you fully understand the process

there is video tutorials too on youtube....best advice if you follow one, is if they don't do it, you don't do it, the most mistakes come from people half following a guide

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1 gb....its always good to use emunand, its like a little safety net against accidental updates, and also means you can access eshop etc while keeping sysnand on 9.2 or lower as you can update to 9.4 in emunand
have a look through this thread to get the general idea
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-t...ga-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/unread

read up before you try it, and make sure you fully understand the process

there is video tutorials too on youtube....best advice if you follow one, is if they don't do it, you don't do it, the most mistakes come from people half following a guide

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Right now, what I'm thinking of doing is just deleting a few of the games I don't use too often on my 3DS (Mighty Gunvolt, Shantae - Risky Boot's Revenge, etc.) so that it reaches about 1 or 2GB free of data, so I can fit stuff like CIAs and so on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?