Hacking A few Qs: Best CFW to install? Emulators? How to play PS2 titles? Cheers

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
I'm looking at getting a CFW enabled PS3 slim and have a few Qs:

Whats the best CFW to install?

Are there emulators for the PS3, if so what are the best and how is the emulation?

My main aim is to play PS2 titles, how do they look? Upscaled? Best CFW/settings to use? Any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help

djalmafreestyler

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm looking at getting a CFW enabled PS3 slim and have a few Qs:

Whats the best CFW to install?
Dependes what you need, want. I use REBUG.

Are there emulators for the PS3, if so what are the best and how is the emulation?
Yes, I use RetroArch because it has many emulators integrated (cores), I play SNES, GEN and Neo Geo.

My main aim is to play PS2 titles, how do they look? Upscaled? Best CFW/settings to use? Any issues I should be aware of?
I don't play PS2 but find PS2 Classic Placeholder, I think there are more ways to play PS2 but I don' know.

Thanks for your help

Reactions: ital

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have few questions too, I hope I can ask here without hijacking too much :P

- Does Rebug comes with MultiMan already installed?
- if it does, should I delete my old MM folder and settings before installing rebug? (I'm on MM 2.2, and OFW3.41, I'm not sure if I have to update to 3.55 first but I'll probably do it)
- does syncing trophies will ban me instantly? I prefer not trying and keeping my PS4 trophies only.

As for the answers for PS2:
I think you have to enable Cobra (from Rebug toolbox, so you need to install the toolbox after installing rebug, then enable cobra and reboot the console).
Cobra can read PS2 ISO files (only from internal?), but I don't know where the games are listed nor how to launch them yet. sorry, I'm not very helpful.

I still haven't try as I don't have rebug yet, but if you look at rebug website, on every release there is a BIG explanation how to enable cobra and use PS2.

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
Thanks, I've secured a machine already running Rebug 4.80 and would appreciate a guide that helps in how to use this supremely complicated CFW in order to get the most out of it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
By reading the Croba 7.x section and PS2 on non-BC console section, it seems it's quite easy to launch a PS2 ISO.
After enabling Cobra, you only need to put the ISO where MultiMan can see them (probably in gamez folder?), and load the game like you load a PS3 game : select it to return to XMB, then launch from the mounted disc icon and Cobra take care of the rest.

http://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-80-1-cobra-7-3-toolbox-2-02-10-may-2016/
It can even load split ISO (I thought it worked only on internal, but external+split is working too)

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
Thanks, I've just purchased a machine with Rebug 4.80 installed, just the firmware and modman - nothing else, no more documentation on which paths to use, how to enable features, tools, packages etc.. and this forum appears a bit thin on the old how tos.

Any pointers in order to get the best of of this?

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
Usually the gest info source for rebug is rebug on its own.

http://rebug.me

There are other boards but I don't know if it's allowed to link to other boards. Google knows them all anyhow.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Thanks, I checked that but the info appears to be aimed at folks that have used/know the firmware and hacking aspects of the PS3 well like where to place files, which paths, how to get pkg files installed etc.

I'm just starting with all of this and there appears to be little in the way of clear docs.

Also, how does one play PSP games?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can post links to another website if it doesn't contain illegal files (ISO, SDK, etc.) and if it's in reply to someone else (not advertising).

I started a guide 5 years ago (for multiMAN, not CFW in general, but maybe it contains few useful information), because I also found there were not a lot of explanation available, but I never completed it. it was developed faster than I wrote the guide and finally I never completed it.
It probably has old information, but It has information about installing pkg, where to put files, etc.

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
Fantastic @Cyan, thanks for that.

Got the PS2 emulation working and I'm wondering if the "smoothing" option makes fast games (ie driving) suffer in terms of framerate or is it the old placebo effect as it all seems much smoother (in terms of motion at least) without it.

Also, how/where does one enable PSP emulation as when I tried to run the ISO it stated I needed to download and install something.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never tried PS2 emu, so someone else can answer (or just use the best blacebo you like :P)
The only PSP game I tried was a converted PSP games, and it was one of the first try by the scene to produce working conversion.
I'm sure now it's more easier.

The game I tried was installed using PKG and displayed directly on XMB. I didn't need MultiMAN (nor even CFW enabled) to launch them !
I could play that PSP game from my OFW 3.41, but couldn't save.
That was the first released PSP hack on PS4 PS3.

Now it's probably easier.
what you can do is try looking as a PSP for PS4 PS3 release from a release group, they usually come with NFO. sometime there are steps to use their release.
I can try to look and learn for you.

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
So the PS4 converted ISOs play on the PS3?

I've just found the files that are required by the firmware to load up PSP games so hopefully it should just be a case of loading the ISOs as the conversion software I've also found is only for Windows machines.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry I meant PS3 !

Edit :
I found this info to play PSP remaster full screen from rebug:
To play full screen, first enable "PSP EMU" Menu in Debug Settings, then set PSP Remaster - Screen Mode to Full Screen in Game Settings.

Still looking for more info.
it seems there are "PSPtoPS3 Mini" and "PSP remaster". they are two different things.
I didn't follow the PS3 scene for few years, so I'm discovering things, I might not be the best user to help you.

edit:
the PSP remaster seems to be always PKG, so they will install and run from XMB.
The PSP MINIs were also released as installable pkg, so it's just simple install and launch from XMB.
I don't know how to convert your own dump. I haven't check the tools.

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
Perfect, thanks I'll give that a try.

Is it possible to get PSN games like Journey and Outrun Online Arcade to play via rebug as well? Do you install them the same way as regular ISOs?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water