Homebrew A few n00bish questions

~Russ~

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions concerning SNES emulation on the DS. I'm sure they've been asked countless times before, but I'm pretty new to emulation on the DS, so give me some slack.

Anyways, as I understand it, there are certain SNES games (like Kirby Superstar, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, etc.) that have a special chip that DS emulators can't run currently. Is this a problem that is expected to be resolved, or will the DS just never be able to emulate them?

My second question pertains to rom hacks, specifically, Super Mario World rom hacks. One or two of them will play on my DS (but with minor problems), while the rest either won't load, or break at the title screen. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or are SMW hacks just incompatible with the DS?

And lastly, EarthBound. It's one of my favorite games, but it has been showing some problems on my DS, mainly that layers appear wrong (any that are supposed to be above the player appear under him) and the bosses are horribly convoluted (the background appears on top of the screen). Once again, is there something I can do to fix this, or is it just an incompatible game?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm using an M3 with the GBA expansion, if it matters.

Flameburst

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eh, for the 1st question, I have no idea, but I also have a M3 and the gba expansion and earthbound works great! You probably didn't set it to auto patch the game, the slower setting. When you start up, youll be at the loading screen for a while before it starts. Btw what firmware?

~Russ~

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had to auto patch it? Well, that could solve my other problem too. Thanks!

As for firmware, well, what exactly is firmware. Sorry, like I said, I know next to nothing about this. If you mean the system it runs on, I donwloaded the newest version (I think 4.1 or something like that) from the GBAtemp download page.

~Russ~

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm not sure what the policy for double posts is here, so I apologize if I'm breaking any rules.

Anyways, there's a problem with that idea. I'm using SNEmulDS, and there us no auto patch option. When I start it up, it just gives me the option of which rom to open.

Shyvnal

Trophies
XP
Country
I think Flame ment the gba version, Im probably wrong but yeah, whenever I played EB I had layer problems during battles but I got used to changing the settings back and forth.
The firmware is kinda like the operating system for the flash card, newer versions are released to fix issues, usually with certain games.
With the SMW world hacks I cant say much, some worked for me and some didn't, maybe try a different patcher? Enfact I think I remember someone making a post about them, try searching.
Oh and the snes games with the chips, apparently the ds isn't powerful enough to play them, maybe the dsi is but once again, I haven't a clue,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a