Hacking A few idea (plausibility check)

xil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me preface this by saying I am not a programmer (except for a class on Java) but I may just try (and 99% likely fail) to learn by jumping in. Excuse my noobish-ness.
Now for the questions:

1) Waninkoko has a dvd dumper. There are many tools to package ISOs. There is a tool to scrub wii ISOs. Would it be possible to use the source code (where available) from several such applications to create a "one click" wii application that takes the wii game, dumps the files to a temp folder in an external hdd, packs an iso, and scrubs it. After that it would move the ISO into a /games folder or something of the sort, and clean up after itself.

2) Would it be possible to modify a current ISO Loader to read an ISO from an external hdd. This be extremely useful especially if the first tool was implemented. It would allow someone to dump a game to a hdd and play it whenever they chose without having to switch discs or burn ISOs. Does the source of the ISO have to be the wii disc drive, or does the fact that it is using an isoloader mean it can mount the image from anywhere?

3) If the answer to the above two questions are 'yes' how hard do you think (opinion) it would be to make these programs, or possibly integrate them into one useful tool for managing your backups?

grog.gif

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. lol ... lazy bastard
2. It is possible , but it hasnt been written as yet , a few are looking into it.
3. Good idea in fairness.

I remember reading about someone trying to get games to play from a HDD and it has been done by the big N so it is possible - they tried USB but its limited to usb1 and is too slow so they were checking out the wireless HDD option - again i think it may have been too slow , but a nas drive may be the solution with a cabled network.

xil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i AM a lazy bastard.

usb1 only? That seems pretty lame on nintendo's part considering virtually everything nowadays is usb2.0
if people are looking into it i will leave it to greater minds than mine i guess.

EDIT: So as it stands, question 1 looks likely, but its not really worth putting in that much work to avoid doing more work. Question 2 has been looked at but has barriers. Question 3 is null and void.

xil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gundalf said:
We have now since short time SDHC support, i think the next step will be USB 2.0.
I have heard Nintendo's purported reason for not including SDHC capabilities is that it greatly increases read/write errors.
Do you think this is true? Do you think the same holds true for dvds and usb2.0?

Just looking for some other input than what i think i remember reading. Obviously this would have very significant meaning for loading isos from a hdd, since massive read errors would be catastrophic.

edit: thank you both for the responses, i look foward to learning as much as i can (because knowledge is power!
tongue.gif
).

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gundalf said:
Hasnt some people sayd that it is USB2.0 but only the IOS let use USB1.0?
Yeah its physically USB2 but limited to usb1.1 possibly to avoid things like using Harddrives to play games.

QUOTE(xil @ Nov 8 2008, 11:55 PM) i AM a lazy bastard.

usb1 only? That seems pretty lame on nintendo's part considering virtually everything nowadays is usb2.0
if people are looking into it i will leave it to greater minds than mine i guess.

EDIT: So as it stands, question 1 looks likely, but its not really worth putting in that much work to avoid doing more work. Question 2 has been looked at but has barriers. Question 3 is null and void.
Haha - same as most of us
biggrin.gif

It is usb2 , but limited to usb1 speeds.

Naah question 1 seems like a good idea to be honest , i was just messing with ya - the only issue i can see is that the wii sends the ISO using a webpage to the HD using wifi , but once its on the harddrive the wii has no real ability to alter it , so making an all in one pack would be hard, unless it was integrated into the webpage somehow.

Question 2 is still being looked at and will more than likely be overcome at some stage

Question 3's limitations are more based on question 1 with wifi or on the USB speed if you manage to use USB

xil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt realize that once it was on the HDD wii lost the capabilities to play with the files (my compter knowledge is lacking, growing slowly). So it would need to send it via wifi to a comp which has a partner application to perform necessary tasks and send it back. Sound like a lot of work/potential for error.
I must think.
Thanks for all the input, I'm happy to be learning.

(and now to leave the computer and venture into the scary world of sunlight; peace for now)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night