A fan recreation demo of Tears of the Kingdom using Unreal Engine has appeared

Fans of the Zelda series have been enjoying the latest Zelda title, Tears of the Kingdom, for almost a month now, and the amount of creativity and inventions that people have come up with in-game have been really interesting, either for their great usability during gameplay, or flat out for their comical and weird factors altogether.

One fan did go a bit beyond that just making random creations in the game though, as French user Praxy (PraxisOfficiel) started work on a demo project of Tears of the Kingdom, currently titled Rip-off the Kingdom, being recreated for WIndows utilizing Unreal Engine. Praxy started with a base template for a test stage and main character, in which he could test out Link's animations, climbing, running, gliding, some basic weapon mechanics, as well as testing out a standard enemy to Link to fight against, based on the Bokoblin, with menus and UI elements being an almost exact recreation (except for some menus being based on BotW, since the work on it started before the official game release in May 12th). He also worked on implementing some of the new functionalities (to a degree) that Tears of the Kingdom features, like Fuse, Ultrahand and Recall, for which he showcases in action.

To test out all of the current work he has done so far, he put together a demo of the recreation, showcasing an original floating island akin to those in the original game, with some Bokoblins to fight, and some minor puzzles for the users to put the re-implemented mechanics like Ultrahand and Recall to use. The game is partially showcased in a personal video by Praxy himself, but he still leaves some of the demo for the user to experience on their own. The TotK recreation can be downloaded from Praxy's itch.io site and played on modern Windows machines. While the exact minimum requirements to play the game aren't listed, all that's needed is to download the .zip of the game and run the .exe file.

:arrow: Source

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why do people keep doing this?? great, you took the assets of a game and put them in X engine, are you proud of yourself?
Because it gets idiots on YouTube to say "Wow you're so talented! It took Nintendo 6+ years and it took you [amount of time claimed]!" They're almost always barely functional tech demos.
Never liked these "Unreal remake tech demos".
Agreed, once you steal assets replicating a couple game mechanics and making or straight up importing an environment is the rest of the work, which doesn't take too long. But these videos aren't for people who understand what they're doing, it's for easily amused Redditors, and Youtube and Tiktok users.

Last edited by Guacaholey,
Reactions: Kioku

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Fans of the Zelda series have been enjoying the latest Zelda title, Tears of the Kingdom, for almost a month now, and the amount of creativity and inventions that people have come up with in-game have been really interesting, either for their great usability during gameplay, or flat out for their comical and weird factors altogether.

One fan did go a bit beyond that just making random creations in the game though, as French user Praxy (PraxisOfficiel) started work on a demo project of Tears of the Kingdom, currently titled Rip-off the Kingdom, being recreated for WIndows utilizing Unreal Engine. Praxy started with a base template for a test stage and main character, in which he could test out Link's animations, climbing, running, gliding, some basic weapon mechanics, as well as testing out a standard enemy to Link to fight against, based on the Bokoblin, with menus and UI elements being an almost exact recreation (except for some menus being based on BotW, since the work on it started before the official game release in May 12th). He also worked on implementing some of the new functionalities (to a degree) that Tears of the Kingdom features, like Fuse, Ultrahand and Recall, for which he showcases in action.

To test out all of the current work he has done so far, he put together a demo of the recreation, showcasing an original floating island akin to those in the original game, with some Bokoblins to fight, and some minor puzzles for the users to put the re-implemented mechanics like Ultrahand and Recall to use. The game is partially showcased in a personal video by Praxy himself, but he still leaves some of the demo for the user to experience on their own. The TotK recreation can be downloaded from Praxy's itch.io site and played on modern Windows machines. While the exact minimum requirements to play the game aren't listed, all that's needed is to download the .zip of the game and run the .exe file.

:arrow: Source

Oh dear god that motion blur is horrific.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thread title should be: Beautiful Japanese Art Soiled by Western Amateurs in 4K
This.
I legit don't really like many of the games "remade" in Unreal. Most of the time they look like another generic game and lose the style that made them stand out. If anything, they look like the same boring Unreal-engine-based games we see these days. I don't see value in "good graphics" when the personality is removed from the game.
Giving this press coverage isn't very good because Nintendo goes and takes down fan games that are impressive way more than ROM sites and whatever. To be honest, people overestimate Nintendo and think they're gonna take down even the slightest copyright infringements. It honestly takes effort in order to be DMCAd by Nintendo.
Where have you been in the past few months? Nintendo has been striking down everything left and right.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Kinda over these videos as well.. They genuinely look awful and pay no respect to the source material. There was one Ocarina of Time in UE vid I watched some time ago that I DID enjoy, but this is just as bad as any other type before it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I legit don't really like many of the games "remade" in Unreal. Most of the time they look like another generic game and lose the style that made them stand out. If anything, they look like the same boring Unreal-engine-based games we see these days. I don't see value in "good graphics" when the personality is removed from the game.
That's fair, Unreal does kinda suck anyway. Now what it would look like in RE Engine, that I'd be more interested to see.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind things like this. Passion project are, ya know, projects of passion. Things we should support.

But I definitely view things like this as more "school project" than "of things to come". Looks cool, but unpolished, and looks like they could be fun, but will never get past this stage of "I showed off what I can do, but I won't be turning it into a full experience"

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't mind this particular video either, just that it was too littered with random shit.

He clearly knows a bit about coding and implemented a few systems + equipment UI.
Sure it's riding on the popularity of totk, but this could be an early step of someone who's gonna be developing actual games later.
That is, if he keeps working on games, doing gamejams etc.

It's a bit more than downloading a highres model + world and just smacking them together.
Though as it is tradition, that happened too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr