A discussion on Wii (lack of) blocks

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by KennyLeam, Nov 29, 2008.

Nov 29, 2008
  1. KennyLeam
    OP

Newcomer KennyLeam Member

United States
    I wanted to foster a discussion on Wii memory with regards to homebrew. I have been using HBC since late August/early Sept . When I got a WAD of backup launcher 0.3beta, I was very concerned over how many free blocks I had!

I have many games for the Wii, and I have noticed that many 3rd party games take a lot of space for their saves. For example, Super Mario Galaxy save takes 1 block - Sim City Creator takes something like 143! There are many examples of that!

Between a few saves, World of Goo from the shop channel and Zelda OOT, my Wii was basically out of memory.

I know that Nintendo is working on a solution to supposedly allow you to ship VC games to SD, but that won't necessarily solve the problem from what I understand. A lot of the apps that run through HBC obviously load from SD(HC) or support USB (and even network boot, woo!). Will something like the cSM incorporate these features, or is there a need for an independent project?

It would be cumbersome to transfer saves to/from the SD card to/from Wii system memory. So much so, that I even deleted the Internet Channel, Everybody votes, and Check Mii Out to conserve.

Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

2. Ashlee

Newcomer Ashlee Advanced Member

United States
    YES!, it's stupid you can only have like two games installed if they are Wiiware games or N64 games, also you must to save the games as well as the Wii ones, and I think Nintendo won't do anything to solve this problem.

[​IMG]

3. ultragunner

Member ultragunner GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Yes, Nintendo should give the wii hardisk support.

4. kashin

Member kashin GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I don't see what exactly the point of this discussion is, everyone has already stated that the wii needs more space, and at the moment neither nintendo nor the homebrew community has a publicly available solution.

5. dnmn8r

Member dnmn8r GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    OR bigger memory...I mean think about it. A 4gb SD card costs about $10 from ebay, Nintendo could probably get more than double this for the same price. Now I'm not saying they give an sd card with the system, but i mean if space is that cheap, and small then why not just incorporate it into the system in the first place?

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Nintendo already announced to use sd cards in a direct way for virtual console and WiiWare channels, i think that's why they improved the speed of sd cards with the last update. The next update will most likely have this feature. They should add SDHC support too, because a lot of people will get angry with nintendo if they don't, i WILL be angry if i will be in disadvantage against pirates.

7. mugel0190

Newcomer mugel0190 Advanced Member

Germany
    The honest customer always is in disadvantage... The pirate pays less and gets more games and more features... It has always been and will ever be like that.

8. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    WiiPower your right like, they made the console like it is for one reason "Profit" unlike PS3/360......Simple, that's why you don't get decent hardware/storage etc..the list goes on and on...but you bought one so i guess your'e happy enough... [​IMG]
    It's due to Nintendo bringing out VC, Wiiware that's led to "Storage issues" which they need to address properly...
    Also us homebrewers that question this/that/the other.

9. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Indeed. This update is supposed to be released in Q1 2009. Everyone should just wait for a while, and we'll have 5 times the storage with an SD card of 2 GB.

This could also be very interesting to test WADs without risking banner bricks...

10. IronMask

Member IronMask Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!

United States
    I personally have about every wad there is copied on an 8GB USB Flash drive... it's a little slower installing the wads from it (or so I think). For now you just have to remove one wad to play another..unfortunately...but atleast they are easy to get this way seeing that wan's Wadmanager 1.3 will load from the usb drive... I just have them in a folder called wad on the flashdrive along with a bunch of roms for the emulators that support usb as well... I wish WiiSx supported USB as well...but I think it's still a little early and I have yet to get a game to work with WiiSX... they load and all...but when I go to play them my wii takes a dump... It would be nice to do a hard reset with the Wiimote though...instead of reaching down and holding the power button for 8 seconds (or so it seems).

11. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    i the latest build that of psx that was available, not no more, as emu-kidd etc said they ain't showing there builds no more till we have have a pretty much final piece [​IMG]

anyway i played GTA1, loaded well and fast from SD, but the "control pad" was complete fucked, that is a "big bug" in that particular build, but it handles errors well, and has sound, but anyway im just been patient, I'm pretty sad, but hey birds eye view cop killing, cant fall off [​IMG]

I was like oh yeah mint, playing GTA1, but then once your in the game, the "pad controls fuck up" and i told emu-kidd sepp, etc they said to me that they wont be letting known about their latest builds etc.. as they don't want unfinished buggy work roaming about, causing them to have questions over and over, even though people know the projects are still under way...

12. ephumuris

Newcomer ephumuris Advanced Member

United Kingdom

That's what i thought. But there is space for a bit more than that. My problem was there was some Nintendo video that came pre-installed on the console that explains certain features and it was like 1500 blocks! I deleted that and now i have 2 WiiWare games installed and still have 1500 blocks left.

13. vegeta4ss

Member vegeta4ss GBAtemp Regular

United States
    thats unfortunate news, I was going to start trying that emu today. I will wait for a more stable build I suppose.

14. cr08

Newcomer cr08 Member

United States
    Just to add to this point, keep in mind that the internal flash in the Wii is NAND flash which, at the time, was at a MAJOR premium even in bulk amounts. Even now it's still fairly expensive in comparison to bog-standard flash in SD cards and thumbdrives (think SSD drives for a price-to-space ratio comparison)

15. KennyLeam
    OP

Newcomer KennyLeam Member

United States
    I guess my point wasn't so much to discuss VC/WAD installs as much as it was to point out how easy it is to run out with just a couple of games.

We've got 19 games (and yes, we play them all) but some of them have incredibly large saves (like sim city creator). As a result, I know *I* am nearly out of blocks.

I was hoping for something a bit more constructive than "ya it sucks cry more". Is this truly something others aren't running into with normal games?

16. IronMask

Member IronMask Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!

United States
    Hopefully Forsaekn is able to add the feature of getting the save games pulled to the sd card instead of the internal wii memory card... in his soon to be masterpeice. I am XD