Tutorial  Updated

A definitive way to test if your Switch is patched or not (purchases after 07-2018)

This tutorial uses TegraRCM command line to send payloads to RCM enabled Switch.
Command line is used since it offers a more detailed explanation on what is going on.
So it is a definitive way to confirm if your Switch is patched or not without further questions.
This tutorial does not make any modification to your Switch console.

Requirement:

No Micro SD Card is required.
1. Any way of entering Recovery Mode. Please read here, https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-mods-to-enter-rcm.502145/
2. biskeydump.bin payload(please get the latest version, as of 30th July 2019, the latest version is V9), can be downloaded from https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
3. TegraRcm GUI, can be downloaded from https://github.com/eliboa/TegraRcmGUI/releases
4. USB C to USB A cable
5. A PC with USB port (Sorry I don't have Mac so I could not cover this area)

Step-by-Step (in total 7 steps):
1. put in your RCM Jig on the right joy con rail. Press and hold Vol+ then press the power button.
You should see a black/blank screen after you press the power button.
If you see a Nintendo logo, you can power off your console and try to adjust your RCM Jig position.

2. To install APX driver
2.1 Launch TegraRcm GUI, go to Settings tab, click on "Install Driver" button.
2-1-1.jpg

Confirm the driver installation.
2-1-2.jpg

2.2 For those having problems installing APX driver :
Install and launch Zadig. Plug your Switch in RCM mode, then select Options > List All Devices.
Select the APX device and check which driver is installed for this specific device. If libusbK is not the current driver, install it.
zadig.png
(This step is copied from https://gbatemp.net/threads/tegrarcmgui-simple-gui-for-tegrarcmsmash.503510/)

3. Plug in USB cable from your PC to Switch(in RCM).
Open TegraRcm GUI and you should see this window with "RCM OK".
3.jpg

Alternatively, you can use Device Manager to confirm if the APX device is recognized.
3-2.jpg

Now you can close the TegraRcm GUI application.

4. Copy biskeydump.bin to the TegraRcm GUI folder.
4-1.jpg

5. Open a command line and go to the TegraRcm GUI folder.
4.jpg

6. Run this on the command line
Code:
TegraRcmSmash.exe -w biskeydump.bin BOOT:0x0

7. Check the result
7.1 Switch accepts and executes payload, which mean your Switch is not patched.
Please refer to 0X7000
working.png

You will also see QR code on your Switch screen.

7.2 Switch accepts but does not executes payload, which means your Switch is patched.
Please refer to 0X0000
not-working.png

Last edited by gnilwob, , Reason: update biskeydump version

Ikaruga007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys one question, my Switch is vulnerable(it's the launch version) and I am already using it to play "stuff" after entering RCM Mode. I was wondering if I can update my normal Switch Boot version to the newest firmware without losing the ability to enter RCM mode, they can't patch this as it's a Hardware vulnerability right? I'd like to play Tetris 99 online in standard mode but I need to update the Switch to do so -but don't want to lose the possibility to enter RCM Mode and use the payload to play my other stuff...

Last edited by Ikaruga007,

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your serial is "potentially patched" is there ANY way to find out without actually trying to enter RCM?

kinda silly to buy something without knowing if it will work.

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an odd issue. I have a XAW1 008XXX series switch (grey area serial) that has previously worked fine with tethered RCM exploits, but now locks up every time I try to send a payload. It doesn't reject the payload (there's never a 0x0000) and occasionally after several minutes it will stop stalling and accept the payload (gets a 0x7000) but the switch stays on a black RCM screen instead of actually booting from the payload. The same exact setup works flawlessly on a banned XAW7 000XXX series switch I got my hands on, so I'm stumped.

The XAW1 Switch reads the SD fine in an OFW boot, the bottom plug is not damaged (Docked/TV mode works flawlessly), the SSB cord works perfectly with my Procon/tethering the other Switch, and ofc the PC is the same in both cases - so its not the SD card, cable, USB port, or PC causing the problem. Are there any other possibilities I may have not tried/tested?

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So I have an odd issue. I have a XAW1 008XXX series switch (grey area serial) that has previously worked fine with tethered RCM exploits, but now locks up every time I try to send a payload. It doesn't reject the payload (there's never a 0x0000) and occasionally after several minutes it will stop stalling and accept the payload (gets a 0x7000) but the switch stays on a black RCM screen instead of actually booting from the payload. The same exact setup works flawlessly on a banned XAW7 000XXX series switch I got my hands on, so I'm stumped.

The XAW1 Switch reads the SD fine in an OFW boot, the bottom plug is not damaged (Docked/TV mode works flawlessly), the SSB cord works perfectly with my Procon/tethering the other Switch, and ofc the PC is the same in both cases - so its not the SD card, cable, USB port, or PC causing the problem. Are there any other possibilities I may have not tried/tested?

I had a similar situation in the past. I once injected payload to my Switch, but didn't work. It previously worked, but in that instant, it didn't. I had to shut it down completely and restart the RCM process. And then it worked just fine... Very weird.

In the current Linux build I'm using, I have to use Sudo before executing payload injector or it won't let me send payload. But on a previous Linux build, I didn't had to use Sudo command...

How many times have you tried doing the payload injection?

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a similar situation in the past. I once injected payload to my Switch, but didn't work. It previously worked, but in that instant, it didn't. I had to shut it down completely and restart the RCM process. And then it worked just fine... Very weird.

In the current Linux build I'm using, I have to use Sudo before executing payload injector or it won't let me send payload. But on a previous Linux build, I didn't had to use Sudo command...

How many times have you tried doing the payload injection?
like 20? all attempts hang at "uploading payload" and a few attempts "finished" with a "success" 10 minutes or so later.

On Windows as an administrator account, so super user permissions are irrelevant. Again, the same setup works instantly on the banned Switch, so its a new issue on the unbanned one (both devices currently on OFW 10.1.0. Last successful CFW boot on the unbanned one was on OFW 9.X when I was last jockeying saves around)

Last edited by iSharingan,
Reactions: Lightyose

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
like 20? all attempts hang at "uploading payload" and a few attempts "finished" with a "success" 10 minutes or so later.

On Windows as an administrator account, so super user permissions are irrelevant. Again, the same setup works instantly on the banned Switch, so its a new issue on the unbanned one (both devices currently on OFW 10.1.0. Last successful CFW boot on the unbanned one was on OFW 9.X when I was last jockeying saves around)

Well, right now, I can't say much about the problem. And since the Switch works fine Docked...

You've tried different payloads?

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, right now, I can't say much about the problem. And since the Switch works fine Docked...

You've tried different payloads?
TBH, I'm not sure which to try. I've been using Hekate/atmosphere no problem so far, but ReiNX (and probably FTP managing of an SD card, so airplane mode was not in use) is/are what apparently got this other one banned.

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
TBH, I'm not sure which to try. I've been using Hekate/atmosphere no problem so far, but ReiNX (and probably FTP managing of an SD card, so airplane mode was not in use) is/are what apparently got this other one banned.

About the payload, it could be the same payload, maybe a previous version of Hekate, or maybe even redownload the current payload. Just to be sure.

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just an update: Apparently something SUPER weird is happening with my USB A to USB C cable. When I plug it onto my mayflash USB A to USB C adapter and plug the adapter into the Switch and cable into my Procon, the Procon charges. When I reverse it (adapter in the procon) it WON'T charge the procon (meaning at least one of the contacts/wires in the cord is having issues. flipping the end of the USB over on either side doesnt change anything). By instead using a USB A to USB A cable I robbed off an external HDD and the mayflash adpater, I can get the payload to transfer properly.

What still has me stumped is why the original USB A to USB C cable still works on the banned Switch despite the issues with the unbanned one - but at least I have a workaround now. Time to buy a backup cable now that I know it isn't a problem with the Switch's USB C port.

so yeah, it wasn't the payload that was the issue after all @Lightyose

Reactions: Lightyose

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So just an update: Apparently something SUPER weird is happening with my USB A to USB C cable. When I plug it onto my mayflash USB A to USB C adapter and plug the adapter into the Switch and cable into my Procon, the Procon charges. When I reverse it (adapter in the procon) it WON'T charge the procon (meaning at least one of the contacts/wires in the cord is having issues. flipping the end of the USB over on either side doesnt change anything). By instead using a USB A to USB A cable I robbed off an external HDD and the mayflash adpater, I can get the payload to transfer properly.

What still has me stumped is why the original USB A to USB C cable still works on the banned Switch despite the issues with the unbanned one - but at least I have a workaround now. Time to buy a backup cable now that I know it isn't a problem with the Switch's USB C port.

so yeah, it wasn't the payload that was the issue after all @Lightyose

Glad to see to you managed to get it working. We learn something new everyday.

frognettle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently came into possession of a switch that I suspect is patched, but to be sure I wanted to use TegraRCMgui. The problem I encountered was when I injected the fusee_test.bin, and I received this error:

>Was only able to read 4 out of 16 bytes of device id
Error while injecting payload (RC=-7)

Could this be due to my usb cable?

There's also something peculiar that happens after the attempted injection. If I unplug the switch from the computer and try to plug it back in, the switch isn't recognized. I then have to start over and bring the switch back into RCM.

Is there anything further I can do? I checked with multiple usb cables and still the same thing.

lordupload

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys. I have an potentially patched switch here.
Is it possible to run this with firmware 11.01 ?
If not, how it is possible to test if its patched or not?
Thx in advance.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I have an potentially patched switch here.
Is it possible to run this with firmware 11.01 ?
If not, how it is possible to test if its patched or not?
Thx in advance.
This guide just has you perform Fusee Gelee in order to test the console if it is patched or not. Fusee Gelee only works on unpatched consoles so it is unaffected by whatever firmware you are currently running even if the console is patched.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he... +1