Tutorial  Updated

A definitive way to test if your Switch is patched or not (purchases after 07-2018)

This tutorial uses TegraRCM command line to send payloads to RCM enabled Switch.
Command line is used since it offers a more detailed explanation on what is going on.
So it is a definitive way to confirm if your Switch is patched or not without further questions.
This tutorial does not make any modification to your Switch console.

Requirement:

No Micro SD Card is required.
1. Any way of entering Recovery Mode. Please read here, https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-mods-to-enter-rcm.502145/
2. biskeydump.bin payload(please get the latest version, as of 30th July 2019, the latest version is V9), can be downloaded from https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
3. TegraRcm GUI, can be downloaded from https://github.com/eliboa/TegraRcmGUI/releases
4. USB C to USB A cable
5. A PC with USB port (Sorry I don't have Mac so I could not cover this area)

Step-by-Step (in total 7 steps):
1. put in your RCM Jig on the right joy con rail. Press and hold Vol+ then press the power button.
You should see a black/blank screen after you press the power button.
If you see a Nintendo logo, you can power off your console and try to adjust your RCM Jig position.

2. To install APX driver
2.1 Launch TegraRcm GUI, go to Settings tab, click on "Install Driver" button.
2-1-1.jpg

Confirm the driver installation.
2-1-2.jpg

2.2 For those having problems installing APX driver :
Install and launch Zadig. Plug your Switch in RCM mode, then select Options > List All Devices.
Select the APX device and check which driver is installed for this specific device. If libusbK is not the current driver, install it.
zadig.png
(This step is copied from https://gbatemp.net/threads/tegrarcmgui-simple-gui-for-tegrarcmsmash.503510/)

3. Plug in USB cable from your PC to Switch(in RCM).
Open TegraRcm GUI and you should see this window with "RCM OK".
3.jpg

Alternatively, you can use Device Manager to confirm if the APX device is recognized.
3-2.jpg

Now you can close the TegraRcm GUI application.

4. Copy biskeydump.bin to the TegraRcm GUI folder.
4-1.jpg

5. Open a command line and go to the TegraRcm GUI folder.
4.jpg

6. Run this on the command line
Code:
TegraRcmSmash.exe -w biskeydump.bin BOOT:0x0

7. Check the result
7.1 Switch accepts and executes payload, which mean your Switch is not patched.
Please refer to 0X7000
working.png

You will also see QR code on your Switch screen.

7.2 Switch accepts but does not executes payload, which means your Switch is patched.
Please refer to 0X0000
not-working.png

Last edited by gnilwob, , Reason: update biskeydump version

gnilwob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
This is also the cheapest way of doing it.

On another note, considering that you were the first one to discover your unit was patched, maybe it was fate brought out by Reggie himself that it ended up in your hands on that day.
:rofl2:

By the way, Thanks for the idea.

FYI, I shipped mine to them yesterday.
So it is not in my possession anymore.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waiting for my jig, should get it by Monday, I have two switch’s at home, one that isn’t mine that was bought on launch month and one that is mine that was bought this month, thanks for this guide. The way I was going to test was trying to make a backup but this way seems to be the best way. If my switch is patched, I’m returning it.

Last edited by fst312,

Elliott1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason you have to inject the payload through command line? For some reason I couldn't get that to work so we just injected it through the TegraRcmGUI program itself, and a qr code came up on my switch. Just wanted to be sure since I couldn't confirm on command line.

Reactions: Lokipoki23

gnilwob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Is there any reason you have to inject the payload through command line? For some reason I couldn't get that to work so we just injected it through the TegraRcmGUI program itself, and a qr code came up on my switch. Just wanted to be sure since I couldn't confirm on command line.
Command line is used since it offers a more detailed explanation on what is going on.
But if you use GUI and it works(you can see QR code) then you have an unpatched unit.

Reactions: Elliott1986

meuhflo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Think mine is patched as it's brand new and as I get the 0X0000 answer

I was just wondering if it might be my USB C to USB C cable not suitable for the process ?

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 5,763
Reactions: Jax_Ripper

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long did it take for the qr code to appear. I’m also having trouble getting the command to work. Either my usb c isn’t that great or my switch is patched.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

is it normal that my usb says device not recognized, when I put it in the port, even though my switch still charges.

gnilwob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
How long did it take for the qr code to appear. I’m also having trouble getting the command to work. Either my usb c isn’t that great or my switch is patched.

is it normal that my usb says device not recognized, when I put it in the port, even though my switch still charges.

Have you installed driver ?

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will test launch switch again, the driver is now installed but so far my new switch doesn’t load anything, not responding.

Attachments

• D8A7CAA4-5669-4DDA-9482-7924B599B208.jpeg
    D8A7CAA4-5669-4DDA-9482-7924B599B208.jpeg
    833.6 KB · Views: 2,977
  • 2AA89C72-DC15-415C-982F-066C7242AD25.jpeg
    2AA89C72-DC15-415C-982F-066C7242AD25.jpeg
    882.5 KB · Views: 2,369
Last edited by fst312, , Reason: Posts keep merging

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are missing the driver,looks like u installed the wrong one.
also run tegraRCM b4 plug the switch to the pc.
i got same problem with tegra,b4 ask always to install the drivers.use zadig 2.3 with tegrarcm open.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

If the driver is installed correctly, and the Switch is in RCM mode, the Switch will show up in Windows device manager as APX device under an entry called libusbK. If it does, then it is in RCM and you can launch the payload. This is like instant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: