Hacking A Couple Questions with USB Loader GX

Hibiro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been looking around and I'm finding many different things that seem to conflict, or at least confuse me.

Some places are saying you don't need to use WBFS Manager/Format anymore for USB Loader GX. Is this true? Is there a better option? I really do like it because it shrinks the game's size down to what's necessary without the Dummy Data, but if I can do that without WBFS, I will.

I'm currently using a 1 TB Hard Drive, split into 2 Partitions, 1 FAT32 for GC Games, and 1 WBFS for Wii Games. I use USB Loader GX 3.0, and it has worked fairly well so far, finally got it to run GC Games. Now, my main issue though is that I caught a Wii Game going to Black Screen, Arc Rise Fantasia. That needs to be fixed, and I'm wondering why. I'm only using a couple games at a time right now to test things, so yeah.

So, what's the best way to run both Wii and GC games off my External? Do I need WBFS? And why the Black Screen with Arc Rise Fantasia, when Sonic Colors boots up just fine?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WBFS file format, and WBFS partition format are two different things.
- You don't need to partition your HDD in WBFS anymore, you can use FAT32 or NTFS.
- in FAT32 you can use games in wbfs file format (which takes only the size of the game. If a game is bigger than 4GB the game is split in two files which work just like any other games in USBLoaders)
- in NTFS you can use games in wbfs file format, or in ISO format (always 4GB)

To create wbfs files to store them in FAT32 of NTFS partition, you still need a Game Manager.
The most popular is WiiBackupManager.

You can use FAT32 + WBFS
or FAT32+FAT32
or FAT32+NTFS
the WBFS partition is not recommended as it can corrupt games (and make black screen without you understanding why).

About the black screen : probably a bad dump, or corrupted dump (due to WBFS format which corrupt games).
You can verify the game integrity with WiiBackupManager (select the game and select "Sha1" to verify).

Solution :
Redump the game on your WBFS partition
Redump the game on your FAT32 partition (and select the FAT32 partition in USBLoaderGX > Settings > HDD settings )
Verify the video setting (best option is "Disc Default", to match the video mode with the game region)
be sure to use an IOS with base56 with this ArcRiseFantasia to prevent a crash in the second city.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strictly for wii purposes you only need 1 FAT32 partition. You might have other uses for the drive and desire other partitions, but for Wii usage having the first partition on your drive as FAT32 is all you need. Gamecube games have to be on FAT32.

The WBFS filesystem is dead now. There is a .wbfs file extension though. Using wii backup manager ( http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/ ) you can convert wii .iso to .wbfs. This removes all the dummy data and shrinks the games size, as well as splitting games that are too large to fit on FAT32 (can't have files larger than 4 GB on FAT32). Gamecube games must remain in .iso format.

So the best way is FAT32 with your wii isos as .wbfs.

Why doesn't Arc Rise Fantasia work? Dunno. Maybe it's your cIOSes are out of date? Post a
syscheck log: https://code.google.com/p/syscheck/downloads/list

EDIT: cyan pretty much beat me too it, and I agree it could be a bad rip

Hibiro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks. That really helped. It's all working fine, I just gotta pull Arc Rise off my disc again.

pippon3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if I loan this thread but i have some issue too.
I used always wbfs manager 3.0 and all games worked great in usb loader gx, until I converted my wbfs drive to fat32 using "wbfs2fat" to put some GC games in it. (and because don't want to loose any wii games)
And now all the Wii games doesn't boot up. Gives me only a blackscreen on the games that worked before..:(
How do I fix this.. Can't be any ios problems because all the games (500gb wii games) worked like I said fine before..
I Use 2.0 USB 1TB WD Harddrive. PLEASE help me!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+