A couple questions regarding the homebrew I manage.

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Rubedo, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Rubedo
    OP

Member Rubedo Aikawa is OLEV

United States
    Well, it's not so much a homebrew as it is a "map pack", but I decided to keep the topic title simple >_>
    Anyway, I manage something called the BDX Mega Pack, a song pack for Jam With the Band (it's a rhythm game that uses custom midi files called "bdx" files), and I have a few questions regarding what to do with my next version of the pack.

1. Since I started, I've just been making a new thread in the NDS - Console and Game Discussions forum, since it's... not really homebrew... but I'm wondering, should I make the next thread in the Emulation and Homebrew forum, or what?

2. I intend to make the next thread the "Official" thread, as in, one I will use from now on, since the current one (This one: http://gbatemp.net/t258623-bdx-mega-pack-1-4-released?) is kind of cluttered with unimportant posts and I'd like to start fresh. Is that the way I should do it, or should I keep making new threads for each version?

3. How does one go about trying to get a release made into a front page article? The game relies on user generated content, and the more that people know about the game, the more game there will be to play. Would something like this be accepted for a front page article?

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    1: I'm not one for this type of game - but looking at HOW you get the music into the game (the 'Getting Started.txt') seem more like 'Hacking' or 'Patching' a save file rather than 'Emulation and Homebrew' or 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions'
    So IMHO this really should go into the 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' forum

2: I would say the best thing to do is start from scratch and 'grab' the first couple of posts for yourself

In the first post I would stick a couple of lines stating something like
    'IF anyone have any problems/comments about these packs then please post into this thread
    Any contributions or additional packs to be included are to be posted into this [new] post
    '

Also - I would include in the #1 post information about the pack and maybe a quick guide on how to insert the music into game (maybe even some F.A.Q.)

Then I would use the #2 post to include any/all the download links for the different packs

3: I don't think there's any 'hard-&-fast' way to guarantee getting a front page post, & the only way of getting a post 'stickied' in a forum only happens if a post becomes popular or is very useful, & other people start suggesting that it should be stickied

3. Rubedo
    OP

Member Rubedo Aikawa is OLEV

United States
    Sounds like a good idea, thanks. I actually have a wiki made up for help with setting up the save and song files, so I'm going to link to that in the first post.
    And I don't really need a sticky or anything, I don't think the game is popular enough for that, but I would definitely like a front page article, if possible. Like I said, the more people that play the game, the more game there is to play.