A Couple Questions (I know nothing about PSP homebrew)

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ChillJ, May 5, 2014.

1. ChillJ
    OP

ChillJ Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2013
    United States
    Hi, I'm looking to purchase a PSP for homebrew purposes, but I know absolutely nothing about the PSP or its homebrew, so I've got a couple questions.

• I want to make sure that I purchase the right item; Can homebrew work on any model of PSP?
    • Do I need certain versions of the PSP firmware?
    • Assuming I do need a certain firmware, are there ways to downgrade from higher firmware?
    • I know that certain PSP models (2000 or higher?) can output to a TV; Can these models be hacked?
    • Can a PSP be bricked/unbricked and is it easy/hard to do so?
    • Can a PSP use SD, Pro Duo, or both?
    • Can I use any size SD/ Pro Duo card?
    • Is there anything I should watch out for when buying a PSP?
    • Is there anything I should know that's crucial to owning/buying a PSP?
    Sorry If I asked a lot of questions, but I want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    1. Yes, all models of PSPs are hackable.
    2. Nope, every version has an exploit available.
    3. There are ways to downgrade, but generally it isn't applicable because of #2.
    4. Yes. I would personally recommended a PSP 2000, I just prefer the size of it compared to the 3000 and the Go.
    5. It can be, but only when if you modify or mess with the CFW files. You can unbrick using a Pandora Battery
    6. There are adapters for Micro SD -> Pro Duo, such as the Photofast Adapter which is nice, however are some homebrew that have issues with the way the adapter works. Generally it'll be fine, though. Otherwise you have to use Pro Duo cards
    7. The PSP has a theoretical max of something around 100+GB IIRC, but you probably won't find any Pro Duo cards that go that high. If you do use the Photofast Adapter, I've had 2x 32GB Micro SD cards in my own that added up to 64GB which worked fine.
    8. Other than the usual things like broken items and such, not really.
    9. UMD's are junk, digital downloads FTW. Other than that there isn't much I can think of.

3. ChillJ
    OP

ChillJ Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for the help!

4. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Just want to add that the Pandora Battery will only work on the 1000s and 2000s (assuming it's a fully hackable 2000). You'll also need a memory stick setup with DC8 to work with the Pandora Battery.

Nothing big, just wanted to add a bit more detail about that.