A couple questions about the N3ds and emulators - CIA crash + PCSX speed

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by p64imp, Apr 2, 2016.

1. p64imp
    OP

p64imp Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2016
    United States
    First, why can't i execute a CIA install of an emulator on my 3ds? (i tried 2 installers anyway, and sure enough they install, but it hangs one one line, crashes, then my system goes to black forcing me to hard-reset).

I have 10.7, and i read on https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-emulation-thread-nightly-builds-included.400913/

that it says you need 9.2, but i don't udnerstand why? I have CFW AuReiNAND installed. Sure, its updated to 10.7, but with a CFW isn't that exactly the point? that you can execute ANY un-signed CIA installer?

Second, I am hoping to get the PCSX emulator to run at playable speeds, and on the link above it mentions that it is near full speed on a 9.2 with a CIA install. As i'm having the issue i stated just above, i can get it to load with the 3dsx build, though i'm getting an unplayable 12fps. With that said i have two questions related to this...
    1. is the CIA install that much different then the 3dsx version i'm running regarding performance speeds? and
    2. i'm reading that a kernel hack helps increase the speed on a n3ds... idk what exactly a kernel hack is, but shouldn't i already have that in place with my AuReiNAND CFW install?

The more deeper i go in to the mod world i feel like i'm going to have to install my emuNAND back on this sucker with 9.2 to get crap to start working for me, though i'm looking for a really good reason as my sysNAND CFW is working great right now. I dont want to bugger it up with a emunand install!

Thanks!

Last edited by p64imp, Apr 2, 2016
  2. Rosselman

Rosselman Spooky Skeleton

Oct 29, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Santiago
    It should work. Maybe it's a bug.

3. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    What game are you try to play in PCSX?

4. SeargentMofo

SeargentMofo Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2016
    Gambia, The
    PCSX runs really nice on my N3DSXL Reinand 10.7, I use the cia version. It depends very much on which games you try, GTA2 is near fullspeed (53-59fps), Heart of Darkness and Resident Evil 2, too. Only very intensive 3D games, like Duke Nukem LoB or Tomb Raider III stutter around at 20fps... The emulator is still in an early stage and in my opinion, there are huge performance steps. I don´t know how it runs on O3DS, but I can´t imagine any fun with this...

The 3DSX version is much slower than the cia, as I understand only cias can gain a certain access level to the kernel to get maximum performance.

Last edited by SeargentMofo, Apr 2, 2016
  5. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    I found that the CIA is much better than the 3DSX version. The latest nightly build of PCSX and Catsfx (both CIA and the only 2 I tried) would crash after startup and force reboot for me (N3DSXL A9LH 10.7 AuReinand) The last stable build runs as intended and I can play Brave Fencer Musashi at around 40-50 fps with only major drops during speaking parts. It's definitley playable. I noticed that Ape Escape won't register joystick movement and the framrate is pretty terrible. It really depends on the game

Last edited by eskinner3742, Apr 2, 2016
  6. Moose1-1

Moose1-1 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2016
    Burkina Faso
    Another way to boost speeds is to go into settings, driver, and turn audio resampler driver to nearest, then settings, audio and turn audio sync off.

7. RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    Are you using the nightly or the stable release?

8. WindyRain0212

WindyRain0212 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2016
    Gambia, The
    ON THE MOON
    I'm using RetroArch on my 10.7 emuNAND too (sysNAND on 9.2) and it runs without (major) problems.
    So far for PCSX reARMed, I played
    Crash Bandicoot: Warped ( ~24-32 fps with Audio unsyned and audio resampler nearest, though the sound is shit then so I turn it mostly off )
    Nuclear Strike ( ~27 fps with synced audio )

And about the kernelhax, yeah theres a NTR CFW plugin, but it won't give you any more speed cause the RA emu's run on the full 804(?) MHz already.
    and in terms of speed: cia > 3dsx

9. p64imp
    OP

p64imp Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2016
    United States
    update on this... it was the daily build that was broken. Tried stable and i was all set!